SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I thought i would share some images of my first scratch build with you. Unfortunately i didn't take any of the process but i will update with pics as i start my next one.

It all started 3 years ago. I bought the Le Mans miniatures 905, I,ve always loved this car wanted a slot version. at this time i was racing with magnets and any of you that have LMM cars will know the tyres are like rock with NO grip and the motors are very fast. The upshot of this combination was a rather badly damaged 905, the end of a long straight and a radiator pipe.
That's when i figures i would use the parts and make molds to re create them. So the body, wing and wheels were made into masters and silicone molds made.

I then went on to make a vac form pattern for the windscreen and had a few tries at cutting them out and getting them to fit.......not as easy as you would think.

So after pottering on tooling up and experimenting i decided to bring all the parts together and actually make a full car. Over the last few weeks i have been doing just that. The 90-5 is almost complete now with the exception of the front towing hooks, driver and roof aerials.

The chassis is a sidewinder made from circuit board. The wheels are hand made aluminium, axels are 3/32 silver steel. Tyres are hand made urethane rubber, Body, wheel inserts and wing are cast urethane resin. The windscreen is vac formed PTEG. the decals are home made on photoshop and printed on decal paper. The brake discs are plastic punched to size and coated in silver foil.The pain is acrylic and topped off with clear laqure

It will be getting its debut at the NERCS practice tonight.

Wayne

·
Pete Shepherd
1,689 Posts
Hats off to you sir, great work and very impressive for a first build. You have done lots of things that I have never attempted and I've been scratchbuilding/kit bashing for quite a few years. Handmade wheels, did you turn the wheels yourself?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Doilum
975 Posts
Wow !!! Wayne.

Now I really wish I'd made it last night to see that. Fantastic.

Next practice night, you can run it against one of my F1 stox, see how (long) it fares... hehe. What do you think Ron ?

Al.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Really good job - one of my favourite cars - I can't understand, apart from the SRS1 version, why none of the mainstream manufacturers haven't done the 905. Look forward to seeing more of your work, now that your talents are no longer hidden!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts