SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would imagine quite a few members have seen the progress of my track and it's final outcome. Recently however I created a plan on TrackPower of a scaled down version as a suggestion for someone looking for an idea, the main difference being to lose parallel straights as this was the criteria.
This got me looking at my existing plan and applying a similar tweak to it and the more I look at it the more tempted I am to do it for real.
It will mean losing the pit lane as such which was only really ever there as part of a digital set up, but I stuck with analogue. The pit lane is a nice scenic feature but that is all it is, and I am just looking for opinions as to whether the revised plan will be a better drive:

Existing track:

Pit lane roughly as it looks now:

New plan:

The beauty of it is that I can do this with no other alterations than removing the pit lane and introducing the extra curves without touching the rest of the layout, so it's easy that way. Obviously I will have to rearrange the scenery but it isn't that complex anyway, the main thing is that I just like the look of that section which would now be behind the new pit lane and imagine it will make the drive more fun.

All comments gratefully received,

Cheers

Dave

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
1) Isn´t it diffifult to reach the de-railed cars behind the pit?

2) What is the size of the table?

3) Looks like you have to race the opposite way now at the track due to the replaced pitlane.

4) Have you thought about a X-over or a XLC in the pitlane?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Not really, not many deslots as I run magnets.

2. 15' x 5' 6"

3. Bear in mind this is analogue so no problem, pit lane isn't really operational.

4. As above.

Thanks for the interest

Dave

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
V2 is much better looking.Instead of having 3 parallel straights as in V1 the latter design has a much more technical section infield.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, you are echoing my thoughts, watch this sapce,

Dave

·
Registered
433 Posts
As you know I borrowed your design and must say that the track drives well. My old track was pretty much the 4 parallel straights which was really quite boring after a while and left no room for scenery etc. The idea of tweaking the design a little looks good and as you have said you really don't need to change much to do it. The way you are looking at setting it up means that you might not be able to see the cars for a metre behind the pits (depending on the height of your table and pits) but really shouldn't be a problem with mags. Go with the change.

Matt

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Matt, input and advice much appreciated, I 'm sure my mind is made up and there's no charge for borrowing my idea!

Dave

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the deed is done and here are a few pics to show the changes.

I am very pleased with the result, the tight corner to the rear & right of the new pit lane proved a bit tricky at first, but I'm used to it now and after all that was what the track needed. Obviously the pit lane is a lot more modest now, but as this is a driving/racing track and not a scenic project I am quite content with this.
My only problem now is how to fill in the larger space created and I'm a little short of ideas, so if anyone has any suggestions please pipe up!

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Hi Dave, that looks like a great flowing track now! Nicely done.

Helipad with Medical chopper is always an option....not really in the way and no too expensive to make.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Car park.
Picnic ground.
Children's play area.
Zoo.
Fish pond.
Tar pit.
Rubbish heap.

The new tweak looks good. Do you think we'll see the same tweak in a few more tracks?

Embs

·
Registered
433 Posts
G'day Dave,
Looks good and bet it drives great
. You seem to have plenty of visibility over the pits so no problem there(I think I might have to lower my table one day). I have used the space you are talking about to do exactly what Keeto has said and put in the Helipad with a 1:43 Helicopter that I've borrowed from my 3 yr old son(I told him if he broke it again it would be mine) and added 16 leds around the it. I don't have as much space as you because I had to go with the straight behind the pits due to the problem with visibility but I do like the way you have that nice curve. All you need to do now is to actually get your pits working and maybe upgrade to the new APB one day(it is really great especially for the mostly solo driver like myself). By the way thanks for not charging me for using your idea, if I had to pay everyone for using their ideas I'd have to hide on the other side of the world instead of paying up.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Embs, you had me in stitches! Zoo, children's play area on a high speed curve....

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks folks, positive comments much appreciated and some very interesting ideas there to think about.
It is indeed a flowing track and the cars look particularly good as they negotiate the tight curve and go out and back on the big right hand loop, especially if they have tail lights!
Will keep you posted when I decide what's next,

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi

For anyone interested this is how things are going with the change.
I still have a fair bit of scenic detail to complete, but the main body of work is done with no bare bits now visible. I'm really pleased with how the track looks and drives, so hopefully I'll be content with it for some time to come and I've got my head around working on the scenery and looking forward to putting the finishing touches to it such as trees and more grass etc.
Here's the pics:

Cheers

Dave

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
looking great,very nice flowing track,will look fab once the scenics are finished.Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Ade,

I'm no scenic modeller but I think we all know that even the most basic effects can make a huge difference to the overall look of a layout, so watch this pace!

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts