Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I just got hold of some new cars today.

The Dome from SCX is simply stunning. Nothing to criticize about it. If you like LMP / Le Mans cars, you know what you must look after. The shape of the car is really astounding and the tampoo printing of this challenging livery is simply flawless.

After an excellent Astra, SCX is with this release quietly gaining a well deserved third spot in my ranking. The level of detail is not yet the same as Fly and Scalextric but they've made a lot of improvements. The times of the Cadillac or 333SP are long gone.

Spirit's Reynard LMP is a great choice as well. The shape of the car is accurate. The painting job has been well done (no dust) though you witness some blur when two colours are side by side (yellow and blue on the front bonnet of the Telefonica car).

One cannot say that the tampoo printing is as crisp as the one done by SCX on the Dome either. My main regret is the fake exhaust pipe on the right side of the car. It is done by simple tampoo printing like Scalextric did on their Astra. I would've preferred an add-on part or simply have "forgotten" that detail rather than enhanced the shortcoming. One has to point out that it is due to Spirit's attention to detail. Indeed, only the Reynard powered by the Lehman / Volkswagen engine have that exhaust pipe on the side.

It must be said that Spirit is giving a lot of attention to body variations. The Lehman/Volkswagen Reynard have one air intake on the top right side of the rear bonnet while other cars have one on both sides (Oreca Mopar and Johansson's car)and others have a central one (Barbour). I bet you that Spirit will make the changes.

That said, it's a bit sad to witness some shortcomings : the front right wheel on my Telefonica car is missing its brake disc
and the Le Mans 2003 LMP675 winner has the driver glued in a less than perfect position
It's a bit sad to waste the efforts in such a way !

Next comes Spirit's Banana Joe's Lola B2K/10. It's already the 4th livery of that model (not counting the special edition for the Mas Slot magazine). I didn't notice the two grilles on the front of the rear bonnet last time around. Are they new for this livery or were they already present on previous releases ? I must check this.

Otherwise, I'd say that the paint job and the tampoo are well done save for one shortcoming : the silver stripes on the front bonnet should go much further. It's not accurate and is also less aesthetically pleasing. Apart from that, I'd say I'm a bit concerned about some joints on the front bonnet. The mould is showing clear signs of being worn and quite a few liveries remain to be done ! Let's hope they can cure this.

Teamslot has done their version of the Lola B98/10 in the Motorola paint scheme. Though they remain well behind their competitors in terms of detail, Teamslot has done a huge progress in their definition quality. The painting is well done and the tampoo is great as well. Sure, you only get a half driver but from the reviews I've read, you're gaining a car that's truly great on the track.

Next comes the DTM Mercedes from SCX. If they won hands down with their Astra, I find Hornby's job on the CLK much more appealing (global appearance, tampoo, detail, ...). For me, it's one to one !

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
What an EXCELLENT set of mini-reviews!

Looking at the SCX Dome for any length of time makes me go cross-eyed, but this recommendation from Luc nearly has me convinced that I must have one anyway!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tropi,

I think the Dome is definitely a model to try. I've read that it is excellent on the track as well.

If you don't like that particular livery that much, other ones should follow.

Among the feasible ones is the white and red Den Bla Avis from Le Mans 2001 which is quite nice, another with multiple colours including green, yellow (and silver ?) from Le Mans 2002 and then a black and red Advan livery from Le Mans 2003. I'm quite confident that SCX will do most of these.

Luc

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
The Dome Livery is even more impressive in 1:1 scale. The Dome was the loudest and quickest car on some sections of Le Mans this year.

The SCX Dome is my car of the year, great value, great lights and superb performance.....more liveries please.

Regards

Alan

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE The Dome from SCX is simply stunning. Nothing to criticize about it.

It is indeed a great car, I heard the tampo work alone took well over 100 passes of the car.

I have a criticism !
Turn the damn lights down!

Actually this is me in super picky mode coz I like lights to look right and the rear ones are just too bright for me. I ripped into Scalextric over their badly lit Astras earlier this year (lights make the whole bonnet glow) and do the same for SCX now. Lower the power on your rear lights so the back end does not make me think of Rudolph and the car would (for me) score a perfect 10 for innovation, looks, design handling, and build.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I know this sounds a bit crude but if you selotape tinfoil around where the car light is shining through the plastic it stops the glowing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts