SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
15,707 Posts
I agree. I think that's a great layout, and I can easily see that converted to digital. You could probably even squeeze a short pit lane in there.

·
Greg Gaub
15,707 Posts
Looks great! As I said before, I love the clever use of nesting and overpass in this small space. I've copied the layout to my files for future inspiration. The flyover looks fantastic!

·
Greg Gaub
15,707 Posts
Traction is different. I won't argue that.
But, I race magless on my sport track and enjoy it quite a bit. It's not as if Sport means ice rink (though I've seen some people compare it thusly).
As with any track, it's all about the amount of grip you want, and how to attain it.
Silicone tires work great on a clean slick track like Sport, but they're NOT a necessity.
I've found excellent traction with stock tires. I get a little more if I treat them with some oil.
I also like the traction I get from urethane tires, as well as a variety of other soft rubber tires such as Slot.it F15, their new C compound, or NSR tires.
Other tires have less grip, such as most Carrera or Auto-Art cars I've tried.

One of the things I like best about Sport track, though, is the deeper slot. Sport track will take any guide I've tried, even 1/24 wood track guides. Sometimes you have to slim them down a little, or in the case of Carrera guides, trim the length, but other than those exceptions, all other guides work great on Sport track without modification. I would be surprised if you haven't already needed to work on some guides to keep them from rattling around the bottom of the slot on your Classic track.

·
Greg Gaub
15,707 Posts
No question that you will find that the sport track has less grip with the same car/tires than classic track. I might go so far as to say that such a comparison is likely to result in a dislike for sport, as you will see a clear difference between the two in a very short span, making the traction on sport seem much worse than it really is. The important thing to note is that grip levels that you like CAN be achieved on sport, as I mentioned (tire treatment or replacement). So, ask yourself not is the traction less, but do the benefits of switching outweigh that difference, or otherwise can you get used to the change?

·
Greg Gaub
15,707 Posts
Not having my own classic track layout, I completely forgot about how older classic can get bumpy. I haven't seen Sport do the same thing yet.

Great photos. I wish I could take a panning shot like that. Every time I try, everything is blurry. I can't seem to get the same speed as the car.

·
Greg Gaub
15,707 Posts
A friend of mine makes "ramp" tracks using a wooden mold and heating the track in an oven. They look/work just like the Carrera ones, where one piece is convex, another concave, and you use four of them to make a smooth "hill" over the track. It looks like your ROC design is begging for such a thing. If you're interested, I bet he would either (1) sell you a set pre-made, or (2) describe in detail how he did it.

·
Greg Gaub
15,707 Posts
That's a fantastic ROC layout, and a treasure for the next owner.
Have the locals actually tried the digital yet, or is the concept enough to sell them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts