SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,064 Posts
Mr. F.

Got this from David's website:

"One lane is designed as the racing line - not necessarily the shortest route around the circuit, but the fastest.

With the racing line on one side of the track, on the other is an 'escape lane' - which is used for overtaking. There is a switch at the beginning of each section of the escape lane.

Not all parts of a track are good for overtaking. On bends (or sometimes sections of a straight) where there's the best chance to overtake, a flipper switch (or 'lane changer') automatically moves the challenging car on to the escape lane to give it the chance to pass. If at subsequent switches the cars are still side by side then the flippers will move the car which is on the racing line on to the next section of the escape lane so that they continue to race alongside each other - thereby avoiding a possible collision. When one car has gained a sufficient lead over the other then they are both returned to the racing line at the next switch."

Cheers!

· Registered
3,064 Posts
Mr. F.
As I read it, there is the ONE lane (racing line) and then the alternate lanes (either to pass or be passed) and the flippers prevent crashes or allow racing line if no crash is imminent. The racing line changes from inner to outer to the advantage of the faster car.

Funny enough, I believe that in F1, if an approaching car attempts to pass, the car that is being passed can try to block but often the passing is on the INSIDE of a corner or down the INSIDE of a straight heading towards a corner (where they would normally swing out to cut the apex of the corner... ala racing line).

Here is another observation... REAL cars, steer and try to hold speed as constant as possible to get best lap times (yes the do gear down) ... SLOT cars vary the speed since they cannot steer to get best lap time. And then we add digital and BLST to the mix...

Just wish I understood HOW David makes the flippers so intelligent. It would be wonderful to apply this to Scalextric Digital track.

Cheers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.