SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For better or worse I decided to enter a Sideways Ford GTE in the North America-based GT3 proxy. However: given the potential in this car and the fact that there is only one livery currently available "ex factory", I decided that entering the car in the RTR livery was not a good idea as it was highly likely that several other people would enter this car as well. Now you need to understand my complete and utter lack of confidence in my painting and decorating abilities to understand my trepidation in taking this step. But I decided shelve my uncertainties and give it a go.

In thinking about a livery I thought a tribute Alan Mann Racing livery should look good on this body. I personally love the red & gold liveries of their cars. So, I decided to do a livery that looked like something I thought the Alan Mann team might have done in the 21st century. This was the result:

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Vehicle Wheel Car Hood Tire

Vehicle Tire Car Hood Automotive lighting

I must say that, while I am certainly not planning on quitting my day job to allow me to start painting slot cars, I was quite pleasantly surprised as to how this came out.

Now how it will perform in a ridiculously fast proxy is another matter entirely...

·
ParrotGod
8,543 Posts
I agree that it came out really well. The more paint job you do the more confident you will get.
Maybe painting the interiors of the allu wheel black would make the golden inserts pop more.
The front tyres look funny: are they sponge?

·
Electric model car driver
1,460 Posts
I've sat here looking at your photos for too long so what does that say? ..... It must be 'eye catching'.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that it came out really well.
Thanks Grunz
The more paint job you do the more confident you will get.
That reminds me of the story about the snob that told a pleb that a certain (read: fancy) food that he did not like was an acquired taste, to which the pleb replied: "I see no point in eating something I dislike in the hope that it might some day become an acquired taste." 😄 Same for me: I do not much like doing painting/decoration so I will continue to only do it if absolutely necessary and do my absolute best at it. But no more than that
Maybe painting the interiors of the allu wheel black would make the golden inserts pop more.
Yeah I thought that as well. On my "to do" list. Once all the fine tuning and wheel replacement is done
The front tyres look funny: are they sponge?
Well, it is a bit of an experiment. I know conventional wisdom says that fronts should be zero grip so all my well prepared proxy cars used to have glued & trued Zero grips coated with clear nail varnish.

But.

The guy that absolutely DEMOLISHED the competition in the last GT3 proxy had high grip front tyres. So these are NSR Supergrips, glued and trued. And because this is a bit of an experiment, I did not make much of an effort on smoothing the sidewalls after rounding the shoulders. I need to remove some more material on the outside and will do the proper prep then.

But so far in testing it seems encouraging...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Alwyn, I think that is utterly fantastic. It's a lovely interpretation and is quite striking.

·
Autoavia
1,025 Posts
Nice paint job. I know it is daunting to try painting and scratchbuilding but with a bit of patience and care most things will work out fine - eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Nice idea and great outcome. If you want to be even more retro you could add the little emblems that Alan Mann used to use I made these a while ago for my NSR P68.

Automotive exterior Bumper Font Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Andy

·
ParrotGod
8,543 Posts
Interesting about the front tyres. I wonder what the explanation is. Maybe because they are softer than normal front zero-grip tyres and can absorb better then pressure when cornering similar to sponge tyres.

·
ParrotGod
8,543 Posts
Ah, as for painting, honestly it is not that I enjoy that much the process but sometimes it is the only way to get a specific livery and to be honest I find building a kit easier than taking it apart when I have to install lights or do some detailing work on the body.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For better or worse I decided to enter a Sideways Ford GTE in the North America-based GT3 proxy. However: given the potential in this car and the fact that there is only one livery currently available "ex factory", I decided that entering the car in the RTR livery was not a good idea as it was highly likely that several other people would enter this car as well. Now you need to understand my complete and utter lack of confidence in my painting and decorating abilities to understand my trepidation in taking this step. But I decided shelve my uncertainties and give it a go.

In thinking about a livery I thought a tribute Alan Mann Racing livery should look good on this body. I personally love the red & gold liveries of their cars. So, I decided to do a livery that looked like something I thought the Alan Mann team might have done in the 21st century. This was the result:

View attachment 283487

View attachment 283488

View attachment 283489

View attachment 283490

View attachment 283492

I must say that, while I am certainly not planning on quitting my day job to allow me to start painting slot cars, I was quite pleasantly surprised as to how this came out.

Now how it will perform in a ridiculously fast proxy is another matter entirely...
Nice I think Alan Mann would have approved, I meet him a few times as he had a great interest in RC model aircraft, I even test flew a prototype model for him.

A nice guy.

Baz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts