SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the 2 Scaley GP cars on Wednesday,and pounded them round for a few hundred laps over the last couple of days(magless of course).Then decides I couldn't stand the Wheels n tires on them any more,so got to work with the old dremal,and fitted a set of my own with different tires.

I think it looks better.Looks a little more in proportion,and not so long with the bigger rear tires on it I think.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheels are my BW32002,and the front tires are off the Carrera D Jag.The rears are a little tougher,they are some NOS Airfix rubber,I think off the Mercedes GP car.

Even Ninco Classics would work OK

The inserts are my new .450 wire insert with built in knock off.

I painted the wheels/inserts in Tamiya Silver spray.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE Any chance of making a bigger rim??
I have had tall skinny wheels drawn up in my CAD files for a year now,16"and 18" by 3/16"thin with an integral brake drum for the setscrew.

Just havn't found the funds to run them off yet.

Soon though maybe.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looking very nice indeed! A lot better than the original looks if you ask me! I must admit that you've made me very tempted to get one...

By the way, did you move the rear axle upwards in the chassi to get the same ridehight as before, and did you then have to move the motor upwards at the rear to meet the centerline of the hightend rearaxle? I read something about this dilemma in a review of the car... Just curious.

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Now that looks a 100% better Al. The car now looks "correct".

The next job is to get your dremmel out on the Vanwall, get rid of the pod and give that some decent wheels and tyres.

Regards

Alan

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
The car looks great Al! Much improved over the out-of-the-box version.

I think the outer circumference of the tyre is spot on Al, but the rims are a touch small

uksqueezea is right, but I won't say anything as I haven't even begun to scratchbuild my first slot yet.

I admire the efforts of all you scratchbuilders.

Best regards,
Steve

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE By the way, did you move the rear axle upwards in the chassi to get the same ridehight as before, and did you then have to move the motor upwards at the rear to meet the centerline of the hightend rearaxle? I read something about this dilemma in a review of the car... Just curious.
ER,no,I don't understand the logic behind that.I'm pretty sure that when the teams changed from 16" Wheels to 18",or evn 20" rims for different tracks,that they didn't move the rear axle centre line,or tell the driver to lift his bum a bit to clear the drive shaft.

It does raise the rear a bit,but it looks quite good with a slight nose down attitude.The car seems more in motion,even just sitting still.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sorry Al, I should have referred to the article where I read about this suggestion... Here's the link to the article that mentioned the "dilemma" (from the second last pic on the page and down to the last):http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/Cars3/Sc...cGrandPrix.html
I don't have the car myself so I was just curious
. Sorry if I confused anyone!
...and by the way I don't think yours has any "monstertruck tendences" at all!

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE Sorry Al, I should have referred to the article where I read about this suggestion... Here's the link to the article that mentioned the "dilemma" (from the second last pic on the page and down to the last):http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/Cars3/Sc...cGrandPrix.html
Yes,I knew the origin of your suggestion,and am still as surprised by it as I was when I first read it.I don't understand the reasoning behind it.When you put bigger tires/wheels on a car,the ride hight changes,in real life as in models,and I'm still pretty sure that the car manufacturers didn't alter the rear axle position on the 1:1 cars,so why would you do it on the 1/32 counterpart.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Wheels AND tyres a huge improvement, BWA!
Expect my order soon- I just came into some funds...
Pressed steel type inserts for the Vanwall would be great, too, as per Phil Smith's observation of some months ago

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the correct Wobbly Webs for the back of the Vanwall.Hopefully next week,the Vanny will get the Axe as it were.

I also picked up some of my BW32001 and 002 with the 1/16 bore for front piano wire style independant axle setup.

I will do the VWall with this arrangement also.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Just got my Van, and rather a disappointment it is after the Maser. The wheels look somehow even worse. Definitely needs BWA help!
The detail work is fine, but they seem to have cocked up the shape rather. The nose has been all straightened-out; they've lost that sexy coke-bottle shape where the bodywork scoops in to clear the front wheels on full lock. And the tail looks wrong too- too pointed in plan view, and the cockpit shape is also too pointy. Side-by side, the old Airfix/MRRC version looks more 'right', although lacking in sophistication, and the nice 'roll-under' Scalextric have managed for the body sides.
And why has poor Stirling got jaundice? He's gone a very funny colour!
Stop complaining, Howmet. You should be more grateful....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts