SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share some photos of my recently finished track.

When we first moved into our new house about 12 months ago I had hoped to move my existing track into the loft. So I was very disappointed to find it full of beams and supports. After a winter in the conservatory I was soon moved out when the weather improved. So after some secret measuring and careful planning I asked my wife VERY nicely if I could use a small room that the previous owners had separated off from one of the bedrooms as a study. As you will see the Room is tiny but I reckoned I could just about get a decent circuit into it.

Although I could squeeze more track into the area, I decided I liked a simple more realistic layout. I also considered a figure 8 bridged circuit but after trying out several designs, I stuck with the simple layout you can see in the photos. I am currently running one crossover to double the length and make the lap time around 6 seconds.

The whole lot is raised off the floor a few inches by braced MDF boards. I used polystyrene ceiling tiles to raise the surrounding grassed areas to track height. The tiles were suggested in a post on this site and are great because they are so quick and easy to shape. I bought a job lot of trees and moss from Gaugemaster in various colours for the undergrowth. I am hoping to add a home made grandstand, bridge and of course some people soon.

You cannot get into the room at all but it is so small you can reach the furthest corner quite easily from the door. The only problem with such a confined space will be if I upgrade to digital, as it might get tricky sitting three or more people in the doorway!

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
QUOTE You cannot get into the room at all...

So I see! Gotta admire your tenacity. I just hope nobody crashes on the far left or right of the circuit - there's gonna be a big pile of cars there.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Wonderful layout. You should be very pleased with it. The elevated sections are great.

The ceiling tiles are a very good idea, as the track looks so much better when it is level with the surrounding contours.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 17 Nov 2004, 22:20)I just hope nobody crashes on the far left or right of the circuit - there's gonna be a big pile of cars there.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I admit you do have to get quite 'familiar'
with your racing partner when marshalling it is quite easy to reach the far corner. My only mistake was putting a tall tree near the door which sheds 'leaves' all over the track every time I reach in and catch it on my jumper!

Just been looking at tDI Faher and Sacesta's posts of their buildings. They have certainly set some high standards for me when I start my grandstand!
Don't expect an update for a while, I think I will be busy with the scapel for the next few weeks!

JS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good use of space seahorse,
I am curious what you used to build the bridgestone walls with? They look great and I don't have a clue as to what one uses for materials to build. Have fun with your new track.

SKIDMARK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts