SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
so today is the day, I gonna start my Oxigen journey.
I have a Carrera Digital Track so I gonna use Carrera LCs.
And for now I'd like to use cockpit XP as race mangement software.
But I'll try out whatever is available in the Oxigen universe.
And if everthing is working maybe I can participate at an official DiSCA Race.

But you have to learn to work before you can run.. ;-)

So finally I got the equip.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Font Automotive exterior

Next, I installed the chip in a Sideways Lambo.
To make it as easy as possible I removed the motor pod's front attachment point, I hope it drives anyway.
In any case, I now have 2 holes for both diodes of the chip (Type C).
The Lambo will be my test vehicle so it doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest.
I glued the Hall sensor to the chassis with shrink tubing. No idea where it has to go exactly.
Motor vehicle Fire sprinkler system Valve Electrical wiring Automotive tire

Slot.it app is installed:
Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire Hood

PC is running.
Building Infrastructure Television Urban design Audio equipment

Now I'm going to print these 1000 pages of manuals.
I'm curious how long it will take until I have the first question. ;-)
Ready for take off.

Next steps (continously updated):
  1. 60min later I read all manuals.
    Handwriting Font Poster Space Display board

2. 50min later, O2 Dongle Driver installed following the manual.
    Established an internet connection for my race track pc, normally it's offline to avoid windows update mess everthing up.
    Font Handwriting Material property Parallel Paper
    Rectangle Operating system Font Parallel Multimedia

So far so good.
  3. 1h 10min later, Chrono is installed!
    Moment of truth..
    Font Screenshot Software Technology Multimedia

It works!
    Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

4. 1h 30min later, Bootloader installed and Dongle updated.
  5. 1h 50min later, Car registered in the APP; Firmeware updated and Mode set to D132
  6. 2h later, SCP3 registerd in the APP; Firmeware updated
  7. 2h 20min later, I finally manged to find the passage in the manual how to pair the car.
    Car is paired with the Controller.
    Car can be driven with SCP-3! Hurray!
    AND! I can switch Lanes when I press the ID4 LC-Button on Carrera controller!

So after 2h 30min I got almost everything to work!!! :love::love::love::love:
    Next Step is to setup magnets and find out how to change IDs and enjoy driving. But for now it's time for lunch and DTM is also waiting.What a successful sunday morning!:):):)

8. 4h 30m later, I try to make the car count laps. But Chrono does not recognize the car. No laps are displayed and I can't set the maximum speed either.But the magnet is recognized. "L" appears on the SCP-3, even if it takes 2s. And even if I slowly push the car over it, it jumps forward. But Chrono doesn't work, I have Fireware 3.12 on the black dongle. First the "USB Comm" indicator lit up green in Chrono.After a restart it blinks all the time.
    Unfortunately, lap counting doesn't work with Carrera either. Actually, the magnet in front of the starting line should turn on the car's LED for 200ms.
    I've been searching for the last 2 hours but haven't found a solution.

9. 24h later, I returned my dongle to my reseller and now I am waiting for a new one.

10. 3 days later, I ordered super thin magnets to put them on top of the track for testing purpose.

to be continued..

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Nice track! Hall sensor will be fine as long as your magnets are also on the right side of the track. So chip is registered? And paired to controller? Oxigen may be a bit difficult in the beginning but you will never want to go back. Have fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok. Thanks for the hint. So the hall sensor should be on the left side - as stated in the manual. I saw a lots of pic where it seems to be on the right side.
I gonna change it then the car will be compatible with official O2 tracks and DiSCA Standards, right?

Still printing these manuals..
Any hint how to start?
First setup the dongle or dealing with the chip and controller?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! It works. No issues at all!
Journey updated.
Next step is to install magnets and I have to find out how I change IDs, how Chrono works and what I can do with o2 in general - now as it's running!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, so seems that using Chrono and the magnets are the more complicated part at least for me.
Do I have to do something that the car is recognized by the pc? I have the feeling that it's not connected?
Any hint is appreciated.
2nd question. Is a standard slot.it car magnet strong enough to trigger the hall sensor?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I am considering jumping onto the Oxigen bandwagon.

Do you have a parts list w/costs for where you are thus far AND a total estimated cost budgeted for where you want to eventually go with this project (i.e. number of chipped cars to fill/host an entire race field, etc.)?

thanks,
Ronnie in Texas

·
Greg Gaub
16,619 Posts
So the hall sensor should be on the left side - as stated in the manual. I saw a lots of pic where it seems to be on the right side.
Magnets are plentiful in a non-mag racing room, but also quite inexpensive to purchase. As such, I installed magnets under the track on BOTH sides of the slot, so that the position of the hall sensor in the car doesn't matter, as long as it's not too close to the center or too far to the side. Using Scalextric type long bar magnets makes the field much larger as well. Just be sure not to use multiple magnets next to each other, because the magnetic field gets messy and unreliable.

I also did not glue them to the track, but to some styrene spacers, which were then bridged together so that I can easily remove it from my track just by lifting the track and pulling it out. This allows me to take it to other Scalextric Digital tracks so that oXigen can be raced there without having to change their track. The important thing is that the polarity is correct.

Laptop accessory Gas Computer Technology Composite material

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
To test, I put a magnet under the track in an easily accessible location then used Chrono to test by just pushing the car over the magnet.

The car will auto-magically be detected by the Dongle and Chrono - nothing required - under the ID assigned...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chrono does not recognize the car. No laps are displayed and I can't set the maximum speed either.
But the magnet is recognized.
"L" appears on the SCP-3, even if it takes 2s.
And even if I slowly push the car over it, it jumps forward.
But Chrono doesn't work, I have Fireware 3.12 on the black dongle.
First the "USB Comm" indicator lit up green in Chrono.
After a restart it blinks all the time.
Unfortunately, lap counting doesn't work with Carrera either. Actually, the magnet in front of the starting line should turn on the car's LED for 200ms.
I've been searching for the last 2 hours but haven't found a solution. Do you have an idea?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I didn't have to start anything on Chrono to get the car recognized....it was free practice....

I had the magnet in another location not near the S/F line. Testing the O201c1 LED wasn't wasn't my objective at the time....

Not sure how you know the magnet is recognized or what the "L" means in the SCP3.

The jump is normal from my experience.

Hold the LC on the SCP3 while crossing the Carrera S/F line to be sure the LED is working. You should hear a tone from the Carrera CU.

When Chrono recognizes the car, the ID background becomes green - if I recall correctly....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,
when I press LC on the SCP3 while crossing Carrera S/F it works. Using the magnets and Carrera S/F it works 1 out of 10.
"L" on SCP3 means that the car has crossed the line due to a detected magnet. So magnet and hall sensor is working properly.
"When Chrono recognizes the car, the ID background become green" that does not happen.
I read in the forum that someone else had problems with chrono and firmware 3.11 (3.12 in my case). He switched back to 2.xx.

@Minardi
Have you pressed Start Race in Chrono?
Yes, I tried it.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
BTW, I was testing and didn't attach the magnets to the underside of the track. I used a stack of 4 magnets (for height) that are very strong. Also, use a compass to make sure South is up - South will attract North on the compass.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts