Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scalextric digital has just been delivered the only problem is I'm still at work, then the gym then home, setup and test. I have already planned out my permanent digital track for my loft so this weekend will be spent making sure the track is enjoyable to drive

I'll probably do my own little review but for now does anyone have any questions that I can hopefully answer, that is if I can tear myself away from the track

·
Jim Moyes
4,997 Posts
I'd be interested to know how the "finished" article performs. Particularly the LC sections. At the Toyfair, which was obviously pre-production, there was a large "un-powered" section due to the length of the "flipper" piece in the track. You had to rely on coasting through it.

Keep us informed, 5erge!

Mr.M

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If you open the cars up to oil them - could you try to read the numbers off the chips and components on the circuit board please?

cheers

Dave

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sooooo.... Has it been determined that the flipper is powered or not?

Can anyone tell me what happens when you press throttle and brake at the same time?

I am quite curious?

-Maltese

·
Registered
2 Posts
The flipperssections are powered, the flippers not.

When you press throttle and brake at the same time the car won't move. On the powerbase you have to set the braking to both or button. There are 4 brakingmodes: Off, Dynamic, Button and Both

Koen

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
pics of the chip inside the cars and width, height. length and depth measurements please!

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 23 Nov 2004, 12:16)pics of the chip inside the cars and width, height. length and depth measurements please!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto ! (see my other thread of motor swaps on digital)

I am half tempted to order the car/controller set (even though I don't own digital) - just to open one up i'm getting that desperate !

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Could somebody please post the ****ing decoder dimensions tonight ?

My SSD set is being delivered to the shop, and I'd sleep better if I were sure I can transfer the decoders for my project

Thanks

Beppe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, I've had some problmes with my set since taking delivery.

Basically one of the cursors on the power/control unit is defective and requires you to press the button really hard for it to register a control. I'm currently sorting out a replacement unit.

Also I'd talked to someone at Scalextric (who was very helpful) as I also had problems with the unit overloading. This occured when you had two cars travelling nose to tail, the lead car switches lanes, the track resets then the following car also sends a command to switch lane this then overloaded the power supply and stops power to the track. Apparently it's a safety feature to stop you frying the circuits, the solution would be to hook up another power supply because of the drain required to change lanes with two cars at the same time.

I'll look into upgrading my power when I get my replacement unit. You also need to ensure that your braids are clean and not frayed, otherwise they could touch and also cause the overload.

Des

I'll try and respond to the questions posted this evening.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Really interesting to hear about these digital issues as they arise. Seems like a slight oversight to not allow two cars to change lane at the same time. Suggesting you buy an extra power pack will not be popular with many new customers getting their first slot car set for Christmas. Surely a set should function as it is sold.

I am going to wait a few months until any problems have been identified and sorted out.

Keep the great feedback coming Des.

JS

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Could you please confirm ? My impression was that the flipper does not reset, it stays in the last position unless the next car "tells" it otherwise. Thus, if the following car also wants to switch lane, the flipper should be in the appropriate position already

Beppe

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Although I don't KNOW the answer to this, I must make the comment that, if the LC did not reset after switching lanes, then all following drivers could not know whether they needed to hit their LC button or not, even to stay in their present lane.
That would be a crazy situation and I find it hard to believe that could be so!
Please tell me that it is not the case.

·
Registered
300 Posts
from what I understand (by talking to people with sets) - the flipper only changes
if it has to.

So say car 1 & car 2 BOTH want to change lanes then the fliiper is instructed to
change just the one (hence the not moving people are talking about).

However if car 1 wants to change , but car 2 doesnt then it switches back.

Cars everytime they go over a lane change sensor tell the lane change which
direction they want it , but instead of changing - flipping back and changing
again (if both cars want to change) - it just does it the once. This apparantly
is to save wear and tear on the part. Also if you think about it if it was always
to reset itself and both cars want to change - then to change , reset and change again
in a nose to tail situation with 6 cars would be going some !

Chris

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Precisely - and this also eliminates the issue of how long the flipper/blade should stay in the lane change position before resetting : it's the next car that tells it whether to reset or not
Otherwise, you would either need an additional sensor at LC exit or a mechanical blade reset, a' la Carrera

Rather smart, I would say

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
He he!

I saw you two wandering around and so asked the question on purpose, hoping you would do what you did - ie explain the logic in detail!
Well done chaps!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Afterthought : like I said, I like the entire SSD LC concept and brilliantly simple execution - but on visual inspection it doesn't seem heavy duty - i.e. OK for a home track, I rather doubt the mechanics would stand up to intensive club use

Not my problem, I'll just use the sensor part to trigger my own LC - which will be independently fed, no point in drawing un-needed current from the flimsy transformer/control unit

Beppe

P.S. : Tropi, about your suggestion to use camera macro to decypher chip type - I doubt my Coolpix 2500 has it (there's an icon for close-ups) - but I've got way too much on my plate right now, matter of fact I must cut down on SF browsing (and smoking) !!

·
Registered
278 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 26 Nov 2004, 11:21)Although I don't KNOW the answer to this, I must make the comment that, if the LC did not reset after switching lanes, then all following drivers could not know whether they needed to hit their LC button or not, even to stay in their present lane.
That would be a crazy situation and I find it hard to believe that could be so!
Please tell me that it is not the case.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can help here:
The lane change flipper DOES stay in its last position.
Scenario: Car 1 has just changed lane. The flipper is in the 'change lane' position (not 'straight ahead'). Car 2 approaches the lane change curve.

Option 1: Car 2 driver wants to stay on this lane. The driver doesn't push the 'lane change' button. The flipper senses this as the car passes the track sensor and the flipper is pushed to the 'straight ahead' position. Note that the flipper may or may not still be in the 'change' position - it could have been dislodged from its last position by a passing car - it doesn't matter. Car 2 stays on the same lane.

Option 2: Car 2 driver want to change lane. The driver pushes the 'change lane' button. The flipper is pushed in to the 'change' position. Car 2 changes lane.

In short: If you want to change lane then push the change lane button. If you don't want to change lane, don't press the button.

I hope this helps.
Happy Racing

1 - 20 of 38 Posts