SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I've reached a final layout for my Spa version for home racing. Here's the picture:

Would like to hear your opinions. The track will be scalextric sport.
Any info regarding elevations changes in the real circuit would be great.

Thank you all.
Mod

·
Registered
548 Posts
I really like this..

I might change the hairpin not to be more like the real track but to make it better for your racing.. Try splitting the R1's with a half R2 or a Quarter Straight.

Shaunbmx

·
Registered
478 Posts
That track must be the classic version because the newer has the new track has the boring bus stop to slow the real cars down

You may have to put some crossovers in i roughly think the inside track has a lot less distance to travel but you can't be sure until it's made and tested

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Regarding elevation, it is basically :

Downhill from La Source up to Eau Rouge, then very sharp rise in the Raidillon, then still uprising to Les Combes. You stay level up to Malmedy, then down up to Les Fagnes (the slope is stronger between Malmedy and Pouhon). From Les Fagnes to Stavelot you stay level and then you climb up to the Bus stop where you stay +/- level up to La Source (might be slightly rising).

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
on thew hairpin, the first corner should be an R2, so that it smooths it out a bit.

i'll put up some piccies of different hairpin designs

Matt

Hairpin 1 is R2, R1, R1, R1
Hairpin 2 is R1, R1, R1, R2
Hairpin 3 is 1/2 R2, R1, R1, 1/2 R2

hope these help

Matt

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
QUOTE (MattZani @ 6 Jan 2007, 16:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>on thew hairpin, the first corner should be an R2, so that it smooths it out a bit.

i'll put up some piccies of different hairpin designs

Matt

Hairpin 1 is R2, R1, R1, R1
Hairpin 2 is R1, R1, R1, R2
Hairpin 3 is 1/2 R2, R1, R1, 1/2 R2

hope these help

Matt

Hairpin 1 is the least accurate one. The exit is faster than the entry and the middle of the turn is tricky (it is not flat and there is a border next to the wall).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Looks nice .. and a decently good capture of the real one in that space, ain´t it?

But some pointers, though. I´m a fan of Eau Rouge. If to capture it right on a slotrack of limited space, I´d suppose you should be able to do it flat out, with some tail action for the daring ones. Wouldn´t it be great, sliding through the esses and up hill at full speed?

So, make that section of track as long as possible because you´ll need some more straight to gain speed after the hairpin at la Source! Also, move up the E. R. section some 2 straights and lose the last R4 making the section more "straight" after E. R. Tweaking the whole layout a wee bit clockwise, you could easily add up to 4 straights more to that whole lenght of straight! If you at the same time push the Kemmel to Les Combes section much more futher up right. And, have only a shorter version of the hairpin at Rivage, it could work fine?

Sounds ok in theory, I think .. You´ll have to try it out in practice. Also, Matt´s got a point there with the hairpins, I´d pick #3, but exchange the last 1/2 R2 for a R3.

What´s the size of this?

.. cheers ..

-( R )-

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lovely plan; it will be interesting to watch this as it builds. As to the hairpin at
La Source, Curve No. 2 above most closely replicates the path taken by cars
around the hairpin. While there have been some obvious changes in the track
in this particular section from the 1950-1970's era one element remains; which
is that the exit straight from this corner does not parallel the approach track. This
can be seen to good effect in the overhead shot of this corner in the movie Grand
Prix and elsewhere. Somewhere I have a more recent photo of this corner showing
what I mean. I agree that straightening the exit section will better replicate the
feel of heading downhill flat out toward Eau Rouge. Perhaps re-considering the little
'kink' just prior to La Source might also give the corner greater emphasis-meaning
that the corner itself becomes the 'braking' target. But just some thoughts from one
who loves this course (yes, even the current version) dearly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Oh, I should have added that there is a great site for information
on the current Spa track;

www.spa-francorchamps.be

Navigating around will take you to a number of overhead camera
shots of the current course, and a map showing elevations, etc.
Really good information-showing structures, etc. useful to modeling
the course. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, so many feedback!

Really don't know where to start, and I'll try too address all of you.

The track size is roughly 7,50 m x 6,50 m, and it will be housed in a "slotcar hut" in my yard. (project is still underway, so housing space for the track is not yet defined).

As mentioned by Spa Modeller and one of the things I like most in this layout, is that La Source entry isn't parallel with the exit, which I tried to replicate in the layout. I understand that a different type of hairpin will be best for racing, therefore I'll try to remake the layout with a different hairpin at La Source, but still keeping the unparallel look of the entry and exit sections (perhaps using Matt's Curve #2 but replacing R2 by half R2).

What about the hairpin at Rivage??? The issues regarding La Source, made me look again at this section design and I'm not sure of it anymore.

Now exiting La Source on to Eau Rouge.
Rain Man pointed out very well that this particular section is all about the feeling of driving it at full speed. Flattening the section, and adding more straights to is approach, works ok. But I will lose the fastest section in the layout (Stavelot exit till Bus Stop Chicane), because I have to had a R3 curve at the Blanchimont kink (perhaps with some more tweaking between Rivage and Stavelot, this not necessary, but I haven't tried).

Regarding the elevation map of the track (thumbs up to Fast Lucky), I guess that will be very difficult to make it realistic. I think that I don't have enough track length to make the transitions smooth enough. Opinions regarding this matter will be appreciated (I run essentially low ground clearance cars, modern and classic Le Mans, and have a special love for the long ones).

Guess that's all. Would like to thank you all for the feedback and all the references to external sources for modelling and layout.

Just one more question before I go, and perhaps not the correct topic for this subject. What do you think about making this one digital.

Regards, MOD

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry for the bad quality of the pic, it comes like this from Ultimate Racer.
This is a somewhat correct layout of Spa-Francorchamps circuit. Spa is very interesting, since it is a track with very beautiful elevations. The pit is the Endurance version... for F1 they pitstop where the powerbase is.

I've made the missing Scalextric Digital parts myself, so they are not beatiful but should be correct.

/Jens Ejvinsson
Scalextric SSD newbie

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It appears to have many Great Elements of the Original......I believe this would be Very challenging as is.
I am not a huge fan Of hairpins myself prefering technical turns that increase or decrease in radius's so I lean towards agreeing with the others on the hairpin.

You have excellent opportunity for some great scenic Interest with all of the room available with this type of Open Road course..........

Looks like you'll be able to stay busy building this one for Quite Some time.

Maybe you can even hit 15,000 + Views on this build Like Brads Track has.......................

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally had the time to rework the layout, here it is:

I've reworked the hairpin at La Source, Eau Rouge, Pouhon, Stavelot and dropped the Bus Stop chicane.

What do you think?

Mário

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The last remake seems a good compromise of including some specific features of the track and also getting some running length on the straights. I like it. And not too big project to get it going?
An idea, since you´ve got the infield going half-way "in" to the layout. Make a similar "notch" in the baseboard/framework for easier access to infield part of track.

Although Jens´s track plan seems more "true" to the real one, it might be difficult to drive because of that. Lacking the top speed at major parts of track.

Best of luck with the project!

.. cheers ..

-( R )-

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.