SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the 4th weekend I managed to finish my Proto Surtees Lola T70. The only mods I did to what "came in the box" is to the driver. While what Proto supplied in the kit was pretty darn good, it lacked some "life". I repositioned the figure's left arm, used an arm from a Tamiya military miniature for his right and turned "Big John's" head into the turn. The only thing I need to do now is replace the old cracked Lola wheels with some BWAs.

It also gave me an opportunity to try out my new (hubba, hubba) digital camera!

Enjoy!

Greenman62

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Excellent finishing Greg and nice pictures from the new Nikon.

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Very nice, Greg. Have you used a Fly chassis and running gear?

The upcoming Proto-Slot-Kit Ligier JS3 looks nice too:-

Kind regards

Russell

PS: Any chance of your posting more pictures of your track, please?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Lovely looking model GM
I'd considered doing one of these myself but was put off as the Mk III donor chassis is a bit of a tubby. How does the Proto Slot-Kit come out scalewise?

Looking forward to that Ligier too Russell. I took these (rather shaky I'm afraid) detailing snaps at the Birmingham Racing Car Show earlier this year in readiness...

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE Lovely looking model GM I'd considered doing one of these myself but was put off as the Mk III donor chassis is a bit of a tubby. How does the Proto Slot-Kit come out scalewise?

Y'know, being exact scale isn't a big thing for me... If it looks "right" to my eye it's close enough for me. The original Fly chassis needed some minor trimming to fit the Proto body but on the whole the conversion is really straightforward.

I'll try to get some current shots of the track however if you want to see it "right now" the good folks at the Southend Slot Racing Club have posted some early shots of my track on their web site.

http://www.ssrcworld.com/

My track is set up in my living room since the room is epmty most of the time. However, I do have to move the track out of the room once or twice a month. The track is framed with 1X6 pine the flat areas are sheets of Celotex, a foam insulating board. Both tables can be moved in about 1/2 hour.

Greenman62

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
VERY nice, Greenman!

I say we lock you, David Lawson, Russell Sheldon, Iceman, John P, Howmet, and a few others in a small factory and kiss goodbye to Scaley, Fly, et al!

Lovely stuff!

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gang

Here's news on my Proto/Lola T70 (Surtees) now that the car has been to the "big track" downtown.

The Fly Lola I converted was a Donohue #6 car that was capable of finding its way over around or through any safety barrier designed to keep it from completing its trip to the floor (especially if the floor was concrete).

The improvements I made to the original car was to change the Fly front axle stubs with a solid axle and adding a littl lead just behind the guide. When I converted the chassis for the Proto body I replaced the old cracked Fly rear wheels with a set of BWA #32006 aluminum rims, Slotit 36T gear, hardened steel axle and Super Tires. The motor is the same one that came with the original car.

Observations

The somewhat floppy Fly Lola chassis benefits from the mass and stiffness the Proto body adds. The entire Proto/Fly package weighs more that the Fly Lola coupe. With the original magnet in place, I found the new car sticks better in the turns and is less likely to surprise me. What negligible advantage I lost in "off the line" power is more than made up by gains in "coast-out" and cornering.

For those of you of the HOLA (Hire On Looks Alone) mind set... The Proto Lola T70 is a slam dunk... You may get modest gains in performance... the car will run significantly different (better to my mind) than what came in the Fly box

For those who are looking for wild performance gains on the Fly Lola platform You may want to look elsewhere... or install a "moose" motor Like a Slotit V12 and then deal with the handling or you can mount the Proto on something like a TSRF chassis... or build your own.

Greenman62

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 5 Jul 2004, 15:51)The upcoming Proto-Slot-Kit Ligier JS3 looks nice too:-
Not one of my better photos but here's the Ligier at Le Mans in 2003

David

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Very tempted by those kits, but just too much to build at the moment.

By the way Fergy you can keep the Hawiian Tropic girls I'm afraid they were surpassed at Le Mans this year by the Ferrari Ladies................................

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Beautiful model! Having just seen the original cream the Lola T70s at the LeMans Classic meeting (did I mention that before?) I simply must have one.
Very original choice of prototype. This firm seems to have the right ideas!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts