SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I signed on to SlotForum, Wankel Ickx challenged me to reveal my track. Well it just wasn't in a state of readiness at that time but it is much further along. I must say that I really enjoy hearing of everyone's car and track building experiences. Here is my contribution beginning with a brief history.

A year and a half ago my wife bought me the biggest Scalextric GP set for my birthday. I slot raced as a kid in Lorne Park, Ontario so that gift was beyond my expectations. I loved it but with all of the corners the same radius it got just a little boring. It was also way too short. I built a table in an unused corner of the basement. It is a little unusual as it wraps around the corner of our furnace room rather than "filling" in a corner.

The table is made up of a 4ft X 4ft sheet of plywood attached to a 4ft X 8ft sheet of plywood making an "L" shape totaling 48 sq. ft. It actually takes up about 20% of the whole floor - I have a loving family!

As a big Targa Florio fan there was no question that I wanted a track that mimicked the great race - lots of corners a village and elevations. I was given an R1 hairpin set and a 908/3 for Christmas. I soon began adding scenery and a village. The mountains are old styrofoam packing pieces and the hills are painted papier-mâché. My Targa is born!

I know that a lot of people like the idea of a long straight but it just isn't my thing. I like the curves! I added a second hairpin to extend the circuit. Check out my sophisticated track planning equipment!

I added a third hairpin to maximize table space and a large R3 corner for a high speed section. I also set up a "major" elevation change to keep the Targa theme on track. To build the hill I used Styrofoam supporting foam core. A lap time takes about 6-7 seconds. Keep your 917LH cars at home!

Finally I covered the last section with papier-mâché, painted it and then grassed it over. I am now adding shrubs and road signs. A friend painted the village, made of cut cardboard wine boxes(drink faster honey!). He got a little excited and it is too cartoon-like. I'll have to fix that too one day.

I can't say this was a planned track at all. It just sort of happened! It is a lot of fun to drive. Lots of trigger action and why not since you can't steer a slot.

There are more photos in my gallery if you want a look. Who's next?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
whoops forgot!

nice looking track and pretty good on plexi track! targa tracks are best routed for all the squeezes and sharp sections!

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt,

The wiping out the stripes is on the to-do list. They are slowly peeling off anyway.

Routed track - one day for sure but in the mean time this is just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I really enjoy racing it. Here is a shot that shows some of the buildings.

As I said they are a little to cartoon-like to be real. I am following the thread that outlines how using plasticast as a mould. I am going to try that as the boxes make great buildings.

I am not sure we even have digital yet in Canada! The complexity scares me in terms of modifying cars. Maybe I am incorrect.

My next addition planned was a more sophisticated race management system - more accurate timing, lap counting etc. I was looking at SlotTrak. I would also like to upgrade controllers to PMs as I find the standard Scaleys pretty limited.

I am also following SportWorld as it seems to have it all - electronic controllers and race management. I don't really care about the online racing but the race management is interesting. I am awaiting word on the bugs being sorted out. Any thoughts?

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
If you're going to do some more scenery work including working with plaster, I found the www site Bragdon to be extraordinarily interesting. Blows my mind when I see what's available for doing scenery. Of course, most of it is usually used by Model Railroaders, but why should they have the monopoly on great scenery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice layout Slots-of-Fun

If you intend to create some more buildings for your layout, you might find the following free software handy.

It's a easy-to-use CAD program called Alibra Design Xpress 8.2 and you can download it for free with no limitations at www.download.com (is a largish file so broadband would be good). Don't worry, I'm not on any commission, so this is genuine feedback!!!

I use it when designing scenery with my sons for Warhammer 40K/Lord of the Rings miniature wargaming.

It prints out to the EXACT size as per the design, so all I do is stick the drawing/template to some 5mm foamboard, cut it out (with a stanley knife on a cutting board for good results). Glue it together with PVA glue and paint it up using texturted paint (don't spray it, this melts the foam). Overcoat it to a colour of choice and hey presto, some FIIIINNNEEE looking buildings!!

Designing them on a CAD program might seem long winded at first, but if you have several to do, it's a quicker way of doing it.

Have fun

·
Registered
112 Posts
QUOTE (whyterider @ 16 Mar 2006, 15:30)It's a easy-to-use CAD program called Alibra Design Xpress 8.2 .....

I just searched for it but it is Alibre ........
Whyterider, thanx anyway. Will have a look at it myself as well.

@S-o-F: hope you don't mind, but the layout of your village was exactly the idea i was looking for for my future Targa-track.
Thanx and very much interested in your track, progress and findigs.

So, yesterday evening i immediately started. For the moment i use styrofoam. Might keep it, might change to wood. Donno yet.

Patrick

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
It looks great, but you've got a hairpin turn surrounded by buildings. It's fine if the buildings are cardboard, but if you make them plaster then they'll chip everytime a car goes careening into them. Right? Or, do you have some system in to prevent damage to the buildings from crashing cars?

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Partrick, copy away! It is a great section of track, blasting through the village to the hairpin!

jm, the buildings are just out of reach if a car's rear end breaks loose (917LM's excluded I am sure).

I should add that I lay down two thicknesses of cardboard, which equals one layer of Scalextric track, as a boarder. I simply used the R1 as a template to add walking area/boarder and painted it dark dark grey. I did the same thing in the hairpin surrounding the curve in the hills with the 908/3 in it. I like this better than the plastic Scalextric boarder in beige.

These are the photos that inspired my village. You will soon see why my buildings need a repaint!

I should also mention that there are a bunch of Targa Florio photos in my gallery if anyone wants reference photos

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
great track and dedication....I can actually imagine driving it in real surreal life
Ignore early -ve comments it looks fantastic.
Its a shame scalextric cars don't create the echoing boom that is heard off the building if you where spectating in the village...
are you going to paint the track

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
A challenge squarely dealt with, I'd say.

Nice work.

QUOTE ...why should they have the monopoly on great scenery.

Why indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am thinking of painting the track. Its funny but as more and more of the "scene" comes alive the less and less real is the black track surface. I think I will no doubt paint it at some point.

I didn't mention in this thread (it is in another) that I bought a second power base and reversed the wires on the circuit board so I can run cars in either direction. It is really cool on a track like this which is not very symetrical. Good investment for $25 - almost like having a second track.

·
Registered
88 Posts
QUOTE (nitro @ 16 Mar 2006, 20:30)Its a shame scalextric cars don't create the echoing boom that is heard off the building if you where spectating in the village...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's funny you should mention it, because I was giving this some thought the other day.

In the world of car modding there was/is a piece of kit that you could install that would make a 1.6 Ford Fiesta (for example) sound like a V8. I believe it boosted sound thru external speakers or whatever. And I was
thinking how fantastic would it be to have the technology in a slotcar
- albeit on a smaller scale of course!

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
QUOTE (Slots-O-Fun @ 16 Mar 2006, 22:33)I am thinking of painting the track. Its funny but as more and more of the "scene" comes alive the less and less real is the black track surface. I think I will no doubt paint it at some point.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like this layout a lot!
and painting the track is cool! adding little pieces sanding paper (very corse) on the track makes it even more fun.
Targa florio rules!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.