Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We run a Modern GT class at Farnham in which I'm reliably informed the Fly Viper is the car to have.

Short wheelbases and big bottoms seem to work well there for some reason... although in the case of the later Fly Vipers that 26k motor doesn't hurt!

So when I discovered that the big motor was also included with the Corvette C5-R white kit, and I found a 'Vette kit for less than a tenner... a sale was made.

I decided to keep the original white bodywork and added the traditional black rear end and decals for the car shared by Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Dale Jr. at Daytona in 2001. Of course that car was yellow, but I like the white bodywork - my favourite Vette was the Luc Alphand C6.R which raced at the 2007 Spa 24 Hours carrying an Earnhardt-style #3.

I'll post again when it's finished...

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
The 26000rpm motor in recent 3rd generation Fly Vipers doesn't make a tremendous difference from my experience. The two I have still get beaten by the 2nd generation bog-standard Mabuchi Vipers every single time. But that's on Scalex Sport and maybe you are racing on something else.

Good luck with the Corvette. I've tried to get mine to come close to a Viper, but every modification has made little difference. Motor, gear ratio, magnet adjustment, hubs and tyres. I've given up! Pity though, it's got to be the best looking slotcar ever made. I've got one tucked away that's planned for a plastic motor-detail stripout and a cockpit coversion to reduce weight and lowerc centre of gravity. That's about all I've got left to do before I give up on thse stunning looking beauties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts