SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
thanks again swiss

Now the graham hill livery may just tempt me to get another fly gt40...

and i cant wait till 2005/6/7 for that porsche carrera 6!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Many thanks Swiss for your efforts. A report on Fly that has no reference to scale or callipers! Great stuff

·
Registered
420 Posts
Oh yes, we do like the pictures - I look forward to the lancia myself - could be a lovely piece...

/peter

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
OH Dear !
The lancia poses a real dilemma for me as I have spent the last 2 to 3 years selling all my Scalextric, Ninco, SCX etc rally cars, and now this is due. I wanted to concentrate on GT/Sports cars in an attempt to spend less (Ha! Ha!).

I might just get ONE for racing purposes though.

M

·
Registered
90 Posts
what I'd really like to see Fly put some effort into is in the chassis with the motor mounting design. Those chassis that mount the motors between the front tires and use the half axle shafts to be exact. In most cases, move the motors back 1/4 inch or less and put a straight axle in there. These half shafts they are currently using are not good enough and allow for a lot of slop in the front end.

Case in point is the new BMW CSL, I put this on the track and it was obviously holding back. Checked the fronts and we're back to front axles flopping like a 90 year old grandmother doing jumping jacks. When the car was on the track, the tires rubbed so badly on the fenders that they did not even turn. Body off, out with the dremel and just rounded out the openings ever so slightly as well as removing body from the inside of the car.

Turning attention to the Axle shafts...When is Fly going to re-engineer these? Every damn car I own that uses these freaking axle shafts flop, wobble and just plain do not work as designed!!!! Tightening the axle shafts causes them to be too tight affecting the potential of the car and backing off just a tad causes the flopping...there does not seem to be a happy medium. By the way, these washers are standard #4 washers found in any hardware store here in the US and thanks to the design with the axle shafts, my personal opinion is these are here to make one beleive that Fly is doing something to eliminate slop. They are not effective at all.

Yeah, I could drill them out and sleeve the the front axles but why should all this work be needed? Design the fricking chassis so the motor sits back on the chassis 1/4 inch (usually less than 1/4 inch in most cases) and put a straight axle in them...it can't be that damned hard when creating a new car expecially when the chassis requires a new mold! I have been involved with the tool and molding process of plastic and diecast. Allowing for the motor to clear a straight axle for the front wheels is cheaper than casting all the various parts. The flopping half shafts only allow for the body to roll and eventually deslot whereas the straight, solid front axle will provide a more stable front end. The only other thing these half shafts allow is for excessive flopping of the wheels as was the case on mine.

By comparison, I have a Ferrari Coda Lunga that had these half shafts in it. It ran like crap out of the box thanks to these shafts. But the motor sits back just enough and I replaced the half shafts with a 3/32 rod. Now it runs great.

The FLY cars looks good, best detailed in the slot car business...but looks are not everything. I am not opposed to doing some tuning, but a major rebuild should not be needed and rebuilding the front end is just that...a major rebuild! I am starting to go with the rest of the gang and start holding off from buying anymore Fly cars. the quality issue is just too hit or miss these days.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Call me bizarre.... Call me a kitchen table engineer if you will, but very nearly EVERY slot car I buy is stripped down to it's components as soon as it arrives at chez rr3.9. Interestingly the three most recent FLY cars that I've bought - The CSL and both Daytona Ferraris - have needed very little tweaking to get them to run at their full potential on my home circuit, indeed, the Scalex TVR has needed far more tweaking to get acceptable cornering behaviour..... Whether I've been lucky or not, I can't say, but if you shop around carefully, the new FLY releases needn't cost more than a pound or two more than a Scalextric Sport release (in the UK at least).

Call me sad, but I got down at eye level with the track, and watched my CSL go past at speed....

What price the chance to drive (in 1/32 scale
) the cars of my childhood dreams? The BMW CSL and the Ferrari 365 Daytona...... To me the price is worth it, to Brian, it may not be, neither of us are wholly right or wrong.... Just different

Regards,

-Rob

·
Registered
420 Posts
you are ofcourse quite right Rob. But what I think is a major point behind at least some of the irritation has a slightly different foundation.

1) I agree with you that very few (if any) slot cars (from any manufacturer) do run 'well' (assuming 'racing' ambitions ar high). Therefore if you want your cars to run 'well' you will have to tweak them.

2) The irritation is probably not due to point 1 above. From my own experience the big dissapiontment is due when you buy a car and it does not go around the track without major glitches for what ever reason. The point is that a RTR car would be expected to at least in a basic way be able to run on a standard track. When it does not even go round without hickups - people get upset no matter how nice the car looks like.

3) This is not new and I really do believe that the best way forward to deal with this particular problem is to try to send the cars back to the manufacturer to get them exchanged. Here I do think we should applaude Gaugemaster for his incentive and offer. So next time if you have a faulty car (I believe that it is reasonable to see a RTR car as faulty if it does not go round the track withouth 'itching and scratching' etc). Request to get it exchanged for one where the manufacturer has had to fix the obviously basic issues. Yes you could fix it yourself probably - but the point is that with some of the issues you should not have too.

4) We do know that things do not have to be absolutely hopeless - just think of the 4 pund car mentioned earlier - have tried some of them - not brilliant - but they all worked and run around the track without having there tyres stuck in the body work etc... So it can be done without problems on a four pund car - one would assume it should not be a problem to fix on a car where the asking price is several times higher...

//peter

·
Registered
422 Posts
Please don't hit, bite, or punch me, but does not the Fly 906 seem huge for a 906 in 1/32? I am not trying to start one of the scale fights but making an observation based on my teenage memories of the car that Douglas Revson (Peter's younger brother that died before Peter) drove at Mid-Ohio.

Dan

·
Registered
339 Posts
Even though I said I will not buy another Fly. I know that I'll cave and get some. I'm looking forward to the 934 and the 037 very much. But, where is that Saleen Parks Place livery?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Please don't hit, bite or punch me
Aw, Dan, we have to get some relaxation in between flaming Flies!
Only kidding, I promise you.

A very nice factual write up from Brian Schindler, perhaps all the more interesting, because the annoying chassis/running gear faults were not apparent in another recent review of the very same model. The interest is not that either review is in any way biased or in error, but that there are obviously variations in the standard of running gear supplied.
Do have a read and you can then form your own opinions on this observation!

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/Cars3/FlyBMW.html

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Got to agree with you Dan,it looks Huge to me too,I just didn't want to be the first to bring it up.

I will be so dissapointed if this thing is the same size as the Racer cars,which although quite beautiful,are also grossly overscale.

Why do Slot Car companies do this,I just don't get it(and they just don't get my money either because of it.)

·
Registered
422 Posts
The sad thing is people like Victor Fergusson lose interest in making a particular body once one of the big companies brings it out. What is worse is that his are 1/32 and their bodies are not. I just bought six of Victor's Courage bodies for the price of a mid priced slot car. I am making one chassis and will run all six off the same chassis. So for about the price of a Fly I get six slot cars. BWA, did you know he is doing a CanAm line?

Dan

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (rr3.9 @ 13 Feb 2004, 10:04 PM)Pic copyright me

-Rob
Nice photo Rob, I was at Donington for the Super Racing Weekend as well - great cars and good racing why such a small crowd for such a good event. Shame that this years meeting clashes with Goodwood's Festival of Speed.

David

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
well as Rob full well knows I always run my cars round the track out the box including fly's, most just about run after a little braid tweek, anyway, got my 3.5 very nice, so I was happy then it had a small issue, so I went about fixing it.

anyway other thing is rob, I sit down at track level too..
it's great to see the cars slide out of bends at the right height

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Schindler @ 14 Feb 2004, 02:55 PM)what I'd really like to see Fly put some effort into is in the chassis with the motor mounting design. Those chassis that mount the motors between the front tires and use the half axle shafts to be exact. In most cases, move the motors back 1/4 inch or less and put a straight axle in there. These half shafts they are currently using are not good enough and allow for a lot of slop in the front end.
I did this to a Fly Viper in an effort to make it a good non mag racer.

I started by removing the magnet (enjoyed that bit
) and then cut a hole in the underpan to accept a Ninco RX4 motor mount. Added a pair of SCX F40 axles and voila!

Of course, as soon as I tried to repeat the exercise with a Marcos, I came across the problem of the full interior and decided that it would be too much bother to make up a new drivers platform.

It's interesting that Fly produced the Viper with a "normal" interior, despite the front mounted motor. Perhaps, knowing the dislike of magnets in Spain, they released it in this format to "test the water" and if it had been received badly they could tool a new chassis and make the next releases mid mounted.

If only there had been forums like this one back then!

Mr.M

·
Registered
392 Posts
A friend of mine gave me a new Fly catalogue from the Nurnburg show and I saw some tracks marketed from fly; do you know what they are? There were also some nice people figures to use on the track and in the pits.
Ciao

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a look at some Fly track when I was in spain recently. What I did see certainly looked like scalextric sport track to me. So much so that I was wondering if it is scalextric track repackaged and sold under some kind of agreement. This was my impression anyway. Somebody else might know what the facts are though.

//peter

1 - 20 of 23 Posts