SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdo,

It appears that negotiations to organise an EAHORC race on the DHORC Rock oval aren't going so well. The two clubs have different working methods so this is to be expected.

So what do you all think to EAHORC investing in some routed oval sections of it's own? Deane would only need to buy 360 degrees of corners to get an initial oval ready to race, along with the straights obviously, but does it appeal to people?

To me it seems the advantages of EAHORC building its own routed oval are that the track will be closer to most of the membership than Derby, existing power supplies, driver stations, etc can be fitted so nothing would change in that respect, the cars we usually race could be run without issues and we can all use our current controllers without having to change to a stereo plug.

I also think it would be cool to incorporate a couple more dead strips to show top speeds down the straights. This is something I want to see at EAHORC anyway as I think it would be interesting to see.

Deane has mentioned brass weighted cars which is interesting but also I think you could run some hot Aurora G+ and Magnatractions as well if you can get enough top speed out of them.

Anyway, discuss, argue, throw rocks, enjoy!

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I think oval racing could be fun if the cars are right, it's getting the right combination of speed and grip that is tricky.
I'm tempted to say T-Jets on original skinny wheels with 1960s Nascar bodies.

Would a non-magnetic oval be cheaper than a magnetic one, as you would only need to route the slot and could use copper tape instead of rails.

We're racing Magnatraction Nascars on an oval on December 29th at Yelling, I'll have a better opinion on oval racing after this, we raced Tycos and Mod cars on an oval before at Yelling, the Tycos were pretty good but the Mod cars were too quick and too grippy.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Did you use Tomy banked track at Yelling? That does not really represent proper oval racing to me. I'd be looking to be shallower in the turns whilst the the experience would still be authentic, including the ability to pass everywhere. I'd choose an iconic US oval as the inspiration too, rather than a UK one that was always going to be a white elephant.

Does anyone have stats for the various real ovals? Size, angles, widths, that kind of thing?

Interesting thread Gareth, clearly you lurk on SCI

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
From memory it was a Tri-Oval with Tomy banked track at one end.

I agree about the shallower banking, in 1:32 track Scalextric do 10 degree banked corners which are quite nice to drive as they don't have the wall of death feel of the steeper banking.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Right. So your Dec 29th thing might be of limited use.

The problem with the oval situation is that there is only so much we can learn not to do from the DHORC oval, beyond that it is trial and error, potentially expensive trial and error. I like the copper tape idea, but we would have to build something pretty substantial to see if it worked on a full size oval. And, if it didn't.....

The other massive headache would be storage.

Of course, the best solution remains using the existing UK oval for a national round, if only the owners could see the merit.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Nov 2011, 13:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The other massive headache would be storage.

Agreed, if I had the room I'd have a go at routing a 4 lane one (though I've never done any routing - how hard can it be), I can borrow a decent router but it's finding somewhere to do the work and keep the track that's the problem (and paying for the mdf).

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I'd probably look at an MDF track as an experiment to see if the copper idea actually worked, then get the actual turns made in Sintra. The straights could be Tomy to start with, hence voting for 6 lanes (8 is in any case too many).

It has been quite hard to get a true picture of what the DHORC track is like to run. Some have told me the length of races is limited because the cars are flat chat all the time, and the cars expire, some contradict that and say it is nearly flat-chat, one says the races would be boring if they were any longer. Myself, I would rather find a way to run for three interesting, non car-killing minutes as we always do, and the copper may be the answer (plus more power).

It's all theory though...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
It is all theoretical, perhaps a small test flat oval would be the way to start, a non magnetic track would certainly stop the cars from being killed, as I doubt there's many HO cars that could use 18 volts in a straightline without magnets, never mind the corners.

I like the idea of HO oval racing, but every time I try to think of a sensible cost effective way of building a track that is easy to store there is a problem and it just seems so much easier to go with a 1:32 oval made with Scalextric track.

I've even considered using Aurora Flexi track and filling the track surface, but again this soon gets expensive as NOS flexi track is expensive with the postage, and this doesn't get over the storage problem.

Any ideas are welcome as I'd like to make a shallow banked HO oval with a scale length of at least quarter of a mile, but it needs people to be interested in racing on it to make it worth while doing, I don't want another slot car track in my garage not being used - I've only just managed to give away all my Tyco track.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Nov 2011, 13:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Interesting thread Gareth, clearly you lurk on SCI

I lurk in most places!! I do actually post on SCI occasionally too.

How much of an issue would storage be? Let's say that after two or three seasons you had built up a collection of corners to be able to put together 3 different ovals. That would be only be two or three plastic stacker crates and you could pack the remainder of them with straights. So I would hazard a guess that the oval would take up four crates total.

I'm waiting for our resident Nascar experts Marc and Woodcote to arrive with some opinions, stats and facts!

I'm intrigued by routing as well. Some of the guys Stateside make it look so easy and efficient!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The problem with storage is that you want as few track joins as possible and therefore want the track pieces as long as possible, a 48" radius bend takes up a lot of room, even if split into 45 degree sections, though I'd prefer 90 degree sections, and then you want long straights to go with the big bends.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 29 Nov 2011, 14:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've even considered using Aurora Flexi track and filling the track surface, but again this soon gets expensive as NOS flexi track is expensive with the postage, and this doesn't get over the storage problem.

I already have 2 flexitracks but no adaptors, I wouldn't think it would be necessary to fill it in for a shallow banked track, just make covered sectional wooden formers that screw together with supports for the track, which act as track run off, just lay the track in for an event, only the sectional formers need to be stored and they can be made a size to suit the storage facility/space!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Proof of concept, yes. It depends who owns what but if I build it in the way described, I would wish to keep it for SCHORC use (I have the storage space), but available for others to use too, until the idea is made in Sintra!

It would take more than 2 bits of flexi though, at least 4 for one end alone, it would also have to be generic, useable for any considered track, but it could have variable grading through the corner!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Would you be prepared, even if you could get past all the flaws in the flexi track, to rip out the rails and lay copper instead?

Let's say that there is some truth in the notion that DHORC limit the running on their oval because it is boring and/or kills arms otherwise, clearly we want to avoid that. How much do we think that is down to insufficient power, the size of the track or the magnets in the cars?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Great thread. The only Oval racing I've done is Slotstox and although the rules make it a bit of a lottery I really enjoy trying to find a grove. I'm mega keen to try it properly in HO. I voted 4 corners cos I love indy and on reflection four fairly tight corners may be a good plan, really enjoyed the corner corner at the end of the long straight at HONK and the little blast that followed.

Perhaps knocking together four corners like that would be a good and cheap way to start with the short shutes about the same length as that little straight at HONK and front and backstrerches long enough to reach terninal velocity?

For non/low mag stuff be interesting to see how the AVHO thing goes in december, hoping to be there BTW.

Trouble is zero experience means zero real knowledge, replicating real tracks in scale is usually pretty unrewarding and don't know why ovals would be different but taking inspiration from them is cool. I have always fancied a tricky triangle like Pocono too, a notoriously flat oval but very different to a tri oval.

I'm a member of anither forum about the World of Racing at Home with a big ovals section, racing tonight but I'll have a good look next time I get a chance.

Looks like there is a passionate core of us who want to try though, as Deane has said to me before, God bless the internet

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Nov 2011, 15:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would you be prepared, even if you could get past all the flaws in the flexi track, to rip out the rails and lay copper instead?

That would not be necessary, if you just took the magnets out of the chassis!

But to answer you, no not remove the rails, as the flexi would need to be lifted and relaid for use and storage.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts