SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE May be a little bit OT but all of all the made-up words that America has graced us with this is the one I detest the most!

Worse yet is baseball's "World Series" and "World Champions", when only the US and Canada are involved!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE baseball's World Series is so-named because it's original sponsor was the World newspaper...

I won't actually try to dispute that.... it just might be true
.... I am no historian.
But even if it was true....

So.... how about the "IndyCar World Series", named I believe when only 3 countries were involved, and no newspaper
? Personally, I find the use of the word 'world' ridiculous due to obvious implications. Similarly, in the early 1970's, I competed in the Canadian 'Nationals' for go-karting.... everyone in my class was a local competitor! I think there were maybe 7 or 8 guys in the 300+ event entry from out of the province and BC, our westernmost province, had just as many active karters during the regular year as Ontario! Oh yeah..... 'national' champion... I could take pride in that!

I HATE grandiose names for events that can't, or don't, live up to the name. But then.... you already figured that.....

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE You really want an argument? Who was, or is the crappiest driver? I'll pick King Hiro. My second choice would be Dale Jr.

Assuming the NASCAR fans haven't already linched you
, I don't think Jr is worthy of that title - he has had too many good results. Matsu****a was no Andretti, for sure, (and only the family's Panasonic money got him as far as he went) but perhaps it depends on definition of "crappiest". Slowest? Stupidest? For his sheer number of really stupid moves, despite his obvious inherent talent, I would vote Tony Stewart. How many guys could bring so much 'road rage' to racing (intentional punts and hits in races, on pace laps, in the pits, on cool down laps) and still be allowed to retain their racing licence? By my count, he has spent more time in NASCAR under probation than outside of it! He makes the wildest of the BTCC drivers look like boy scouts! I'm surprised he hasn't killed someone yet. For sheer lousy performance, my vote goes to Formula 1's Andrea de Cesaris with 208 starts, no wins, and just 2 second place finishes, along with enough crashed cars to buy a small country - no, make that medium-sized!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts