SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at the nc6 to put in my fly evo2, its currently running 8/28 with an nc2 slot it gear on the back (f1 wheels ninco tyres)then nc 2 is my reserve motor, i had my first choice blow on me in truing the tures, it threw a wind i think ( NO it wasent overloading the motor truing!!) but anyway the car is superb on home track with the nc2, but its for club racing, so id like to keep the smoothnes of the nc2, but i need a bit more grunt, would the nc6... ermm...??? feel the same, not feel the same but ermm...
i suppose nobodys going to understand what i mean. but be as smooth and responsive as the nc2 is. the 2 is probbably the best motor for home racing, but it just doesent have the oomph that i need... so woud the nc6 be what i need? i want to keep it with a nc2 size motor as i like the way it drives with the extra weight... enough of me talking [email protected] now. will the nc6 do or do i want a different motor? no i ahvent got the fly motor, as the car was just the body/chassis

ive now confused everyone havent i, including myself. im gonna shut up now and post this

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have an NC6 in a Ninco CLK "Pro-Race". It isn't any faster than my NC5 equipped "meltcedes" CLK. Seems like NC5 might be a little bit better out of the corners, though. Try an NC5 before a 6. you might like it better.

Cya!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an NC6 in a Slotit Audi and it is really only better than an NC5 when the straight length is over around six metres. It needs that to stretch its legs.

I think you will find both of these to have superior acceleration and bracking to an NC2. Where I race the NC2 has pretty much been made redundant in the last six months.

As a comparison I have an NC5 equiped Ninco Mercedes DTM and it was consistently two to three tenths faster than an identical NC2 equiped car. I could drive away at will.

The Fly Evo's run a smaller diameter wheel than cars like the Ninco pro race so the gearing change may help too.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Having thought on a bit....

You can describe the NC6 as an NC2 with a significantly higher rev limit, and a bucket load more torque. You can put the enhanced torque to work 'pulling' a bigger gear than would at first seem appropriate. I'd still be a little concerned about the NC6 'revving out' on a 30 foot straight. It all depends on the volts/amps situation on the circuit to see whether you can run a gear suitable to make it work.

Re: the NC5 v NC6 thing.

Inte came around for a few laps on the Box Lane raceway (70 foot Carrera circuit in the loft). We pitted a box stock NC5 equipped Ninco M3 against my NC6 equipped M3 roadburner.

Observations?

The NC5 has better 'punch' out of the corners (0-3ft), but the NC6 car will catch and pull ahead of it by about 6ft down the straight.

-Rob

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but is weight not a problem? what good shortened nc2s are there, i wouldent worry about it topping out.... dont think thats too much of a problem, track power sups are the kelvin light ones RS soemething, contains a 2 somewhere in it

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
I got the NC6 ProRace Subaru. Difficult to judge the motor as the car had lower hubs than the stock Subaru so much of its performance was affected by more magnetic downforce.

Roughly speaking I'd say it was on par with the NC5 with loads of controllable torque and a stunning top speed that can be reached in a torque-spinning split second and it brakes as impressively for the ends of those long straights and tight corners. As with all high torque high rpm motors it works best with 25ohm controllers or diode types.

Get an 8t pinion on this with a standard 27 gear and it would be a total performer in terms of brakes and acceleration...as is the NC5.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I noticed the NC6 engine in the Pro Race Mercedes CLK GTR is geared with a 24 on the rear. The extra torque of this motor allows longer gearing and braking that is as strong as an NC5.

As I understand it has been geared to compete with the high revving Slotit motors. I think it will have too much power with an 8 tooth pinion unless you are running magnets. You will also loose the top end advantage the motor has gearing it with an 8 tooth pinion.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Oh, yes, of course. An 8t:27gear will reduce top speed a fraction, but races are won on the ability to speed up and slow down fast. I mean, for how much of the time do you race with your controller fully depressed for flat out speed. On our track that only lasts for the two long straights (about 2 seconds of 7 second laps). The rest of the time is won or lost on control and 8:27 gearing beats the pants off of all other ratios.

All depends on your track layout at the end of the day. 'Orses for courses of courses

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 3 Nov 2004, 19:23)Oh, yes, of course. An 8t:27gear will reduce top speed a fraction, but races are won on the ability to speed up and slow down fast. I mean, for how much of the time do you race with your controller fully depressed for flat out speed. On our track that only lasts for the two long straights (about 2 seconds of 7 second laps). The rest of the time is won or lost on control and 8:27 gearing beats the pants off of all other ratios.

All depends on your track layout at the end of the day. 'Orses for courses of courses

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't having a shot at you on this just that he mentioned a thirty foot straight. My NC6 in my Slotit Audi is almost topping out on a twenty footer with 9:27 gearing so the eight tooth would probably leave him short.

On your track I can see why you would go with the Eight.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the things been tested with the 2, no top end speed, but loverly handling.. if you keep the throttle right on the top 20% of the throttle itll keep up with the modded f1s, which i was suprised about. definately will need the 6 but after seeing how it performed with the 2 i think the 6 will be fine geareed to 8/28 as i prefer acelleration to top speed

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
NC2, 5, 6 Motors on a wooden track. 10 tooth pinion, 24 tooth crown. (Maybe even the new Slot It 23 tooth).
The motors have oozes of torque for brakes, and the 10/24/23 will give you good top speed on the straights...

Regards

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.