SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm starting a journey on building a permanent scalextric digital layout, and want to eventually fully landscape it.
I want an oval for fun racing & for the kids, And a road course. I've tried to combine both via a joint pit lane. A) Will this work? B) if so, will I need to set up a power relay - I've read some posts about crimping, soldering, & running power with speaker cables ? C) With only 1 power base on the oval, how do u race on the road course - would you have to move the power base?? - there are no double lane pit entry track pieces where you could share the start/finish straight? D) Any better ideas I could achieve the same outcome?

IMG_3764.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
101 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting concept. I like it. but it brings up a few quandries in my mind. I think it can be done if you take care of some loose ends. Here are my observations.

First observation: Scalextric does not make straight single lane lane change pieces as are shown in your picture. They will be double (XLC) if your LC's are in the straight.The errant LC's may simply be that your track design software may not be for Scalextric but that's OK because you should be able to plug something similar together anyway.

Second observation: I assume you are using a C7042 advanced power base (APB). Your cars will only cross the power base (PB) on the oval. This means that you will only get lap count's on the oval but not the road course.

Third observation: (I again assume you are using the C7042 APB) Your road course get's its entire power and digital feed from the outer lane of the oval. Scalextric XLC's do not have wiring a across the two lanes. This means the two lanes operate separately from one another with their only common connection between the two lanes coming inside the APB. I believe this would mean that your road course would only have power in the lane that is directly connected to the XLC in the pitlane which provides the power and digital feed. The other lane would be dead I believe you will have to add a tap to provide power/digital signal feed to the other lane. If you simply tie across the two lanes it will work but it will also effectively kill your ability to use your track in analogue mode since the C7042 APB requires separation between the lanes to work in analogue mode. You will need to tap to the other lane in the oval. It would probably be best to take the tap all of the way back to a track section close to the APB to get a better, more direct power source. While you are at it, I would provide a tap for the other lane too but make sure you keep the feeds to the two lanes separate. Think of it as you would if you were adding taps to an analogue track.

If you do these things, I think everything will work except for lap counting in the road course. Someone please do pipe in if I have missed something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your feedback IXWA and Spitfirefan.

I have taken a combination of your input, and developed a new idea?? ....I need to work on the road course layout, but that is the easy part, its getting it to all work...

OvalRoad4.PNG

I used the oval/road course interchange developed in the thread IXWA shared which will over come the issue of lap counting as you pointed out Spitfirefan - and it should still squeeze into my available space. If we are using the road course, i think I will just tape open the LC in the appropriate locations, and visa-versa. I don't think there is really much other option?

Yes I will be using a C7042 APB as you assumed correctly. This new layout should overcome the power issues?? Do you know if the circuit length can have an issue on power for XLC etc? Will I still have to relay power from the base unit to other parts of the layout?

I also read up on the ARC PRO Platinum set, which I will up grade the power base when it is available. Given the pit lane functionality on that new system, I added a pit lane which could be utilized in either the oval or road course, which I think is pretty nifty. If you are using the road course, it just means the pit exit is quite long, but it shouldn't interfere with any lane changes taped open...

Any other feedback is appreciated, as I would hate to invest the time and money to only have it set up and not working!!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Hi GRT,

Here's an important point that I missed earlier! Your table is about a 3m square, and you have quite a lot going on near the center. Even if the table is out in the middle of the room with access on all sides, that's a ~1.5m reach to a deslotted car in the center. In tweaking your track you may want to consider a U or L-shaped table.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"I think I will just tape open the LC in the appropriate locations, and visa-versa. I don't think there is really much other option?"

Yes taping the LC is the only way I know of to freeze it in one direction.

"Yes I will be using a C7042 APB as you assumed correctly. This new layout should overcome the power issues?? Do you know if the circuit length can have an issue on power for XLC etc? Will I still have to relay power from the base unit to other parts of the layout?"

The C7042 APB with two identical power supplies is adequate to run six Scalextric equivalent cars. You have quite a bit of track there so power distribution can be an issue. For sure you should make sure all joints are tight and to add a bit of Inox to each joint as the track goes together. I have heard all sorts of numbers on the number tract sections you can have between power taps. Someone else can pipe in with their experiences. But I would add at least four distributed evenly around a track of that size. If this is a permanent track, you might consider copper taping the rails. This will eliminate the need for power taps. Make sure you use the copper foil which has a conductive adhesive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both... I'm working on a few layout improvements based on your input.
Next I need to understand scenery creation. I intend to do all my homework upfront, to reduce the overall build timeframe - even though I know when I build it, it will be one step at a time!

First step I need to identify is how to infil the track boarders where the gap narrows near other track pieces where a traditional scalextric boarder will not fit. I need to create/cut/mould a bespoke piece out of a similar material I guess? I'll search the forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts