SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi...!!!!!

I live in Mexico City and been collecting slot cars for the past 5 years, I will be visiting London next month, so I will have the chance to visit Milton Keynes swapmeet.

But I have a couple of questions so I hope someone around here can help me
Is it worth the visit..?, how can I get there..?, is there a special time to visit the swapmeet..?

Thanks in advance for your help

Alfonso Santaella
Mexico City

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Getting there by car is the easiest, but trains from London to Milton Keynes are good. I think you would have to get a taxi from the station.

To answer your question about if it is worth a visit is very difficult. I travel 100 miles and think it worth while. There are no other occasions when you can see so many slot cars - old and new. And these are for sale!

I always enjoy just looking around (although end up buying a lot too).

Best to get there when it opens (10.30 or 11.00 I think) if you can as there is always the risk of the really rare or interesting items being bought and hidden away. That said, towards the end some traders will cut there prices a bit more. I find it easy to spend a few hours looking and chatting.

Hope that helps and hope you enjoy it if you go.

Scott

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
I think that the MK swappies are widely regarded as the best in the UK! And this being an open (i.e. not NSCC members only) one makes it likely to be the busiest! I remember my first one, back in '92, I think I did my first lap of the hall with my jaw wide open.

Mind you, I expect the Spanish ones are pretty spectacular too!

Mr.M

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
QUOTE Mind you, I expect the Spanish ones are pretty spectacular too!

Suprisingly they are not!
In fact they have got so bad in the past couple of years they have now just about been abandoned!
The Mini Classics events in Barcelona have been cut down to one a year and I would be suprised if there are any at all next year,
The once very busy swapmeet in Vic, north of Barcelona, is not taking place this year and I am not sure if it will continue.
The June Madrid meeting is very small, about 20 tables at the most, but does seem to be quite successful.

As for the rest of the world, the Chicago show, when it was in Dolton, was the biggest but is now very much smaller and less busy.

Probably the best and biggest slotcar show at the moment, is Slotmania in Stuttgart, Germany,
but Milton Keynes does come in a close second place.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You might struggle with the trains - I'm fairly certain that the whole line is out of action for repair works at the moment.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just seen that the date's the 19th - you should be ok by then for trains (This week is the big week for track closure). Definately worth checking ahead though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi There,

If you can get to Euston (London) at 08.39 there is a direct train to Milton Keynes Central Station at 10.55.

Return trip: 16.56 (Milton) arrive 18.00 (London).

Taxi from Station to Swapmeet about £6......or perhaps some one here can pick you up.

Hope this helps!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts