SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to sort out my power as it gets a little ropey toward the back of the layout. What is the best way to power Scalex classic track for a permanent layout? Is it best to solder every joint or solder a jump cable across every joint? Or is that over the top?

I intended to divide the layout into 6 easy to manage (manoeuvre in my confined space) sections and then solder little jump cables across the underneath of each joint in the section. It seemed easier to then put them back on the layout in whole sections and put separate power taps to each of the six sections. Any better ideas these days?

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Mark,
Speaking from experience (a bad one, I might add!
), I would stay away from soldering the track joints. A buddy of mine tried that and ended up with all types of electrical shorts in the layout. He eventually trashed the whole thing and had to buy all new track!

I have Classic track (about 130 feet long) and I use the Scaley standard power taps every 8-10 feet. The molded plastic power taps make it real easy to snap in and out of the track pieces. Also, I don't have any problems with the actual track connections themselves, just make sure the little plastic "tabs" under the rails are not bent downwards.

Of course, I like to change my layout, so a fully permanent set-up doesn't really work for me.

Good luck with whatever way you go.

Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts