SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are working on our first scratch built/conversion. We have a Mach 5 model that we are goint to try and convert to a 1/32 slot.

I think I can use the original chassis but my major hurdle is the tires/wheels. They need to be somewhat tall and thin due to the way the body curves under.

I first tried to use the ones that came with the model, but they are not very true and the hub is too large.

Any recomendations on what type of wheels/tires I should use, and where I can find them?

We would really appreciate it!

Rance and Parker Buss,
Houston, Texas

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
QUOTE (Rocket Launcher @ 2 Nov 2004, 17:16)My son and I are working on our first scratch built/conversion. We have a Mach 5 model that we are goint to try and convert to a 1/32 slot.

I might have some suggestions - but - what is a Mach 5?

EM

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
I believe Rocket Launcher is referring to Speed Racer's infamous ride. You know, the cartoon series, popular when I was a kid and still popular today. The Speed Channel airs the program regularly here in the States.
Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you are correct. Its Speed Racers Mach 5. I was a big fan as a kid and my son is now. I built a Mach 5 HO car when I was a kid and now want to have one to run with the big cars.

The snap fit is pretty close to a 1/32 scale. I would post a picture if someone can tell me how.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Rocket,

First open a free photo hosting acct. at www.photobucket.com, I'm sure there are more but this is the one I use. Copy your pictures to your photo albums on the photo hosting site. Now when you post on slot forum click on the IMG button and copy the URL from the photo host site to the IMG box and it will load your photo here for viewing. So get busy, because I love Speed Racer and I'm ready to see it.

Jay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Jay. I will give it a try when I get home.

I did some searching on the net at lunch and did see some tall thin wheels/tires used on the old grand prix cars that I will try and locate. If I can get that nailed down, then the rest should not be as much of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Please post pics & if you can let us know where you got the mighty Mk 5! This totally amuses me - I used to watch Speed Racer as a kid..

·
Registered
19 Posts
http://www.ehobbies.com/mo-pll-6807.html

I can't get the picture posted yet, but here is the link to where I purchsed the model.

Its just a bit longer than my Auto Art lambo. The wheel base is pretty long, but its certainly far away from a 1/24.

I have been looking at professor motor and he does have a great selection. I am still learning about the wheel/tire sizes, so with out pictures, its more difficult to get what I want.

With the tire on the wheel, they are right at 1" (25mm) tall. But they are only 1/4" (7mm) wide. Something a bit less taller and a bit more wider would work.

They are dish rims with 5 holes (six spoke) and knock off hubs. Cartrix makes 5 hole wheels, but I can not find the dimensions anywhere.

If I get the wheels figured out, I think I can use the original model chasis my mounting the motor sidewinder style in the trunk. It will be tight, but I think it will work. Then the original cabin interior can be used.

The model is not that detailed, but with a little paint here and there, I think it will look just fine!

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is the pic from the model box. Honestly, it would take quite a bit of work to get it to look this good, but you get the picture. I will post actual pictures later of the body and chasis I intend to use. My son already built the snap fit model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some rims that look like a nice replica made by Cartrix, but I cant seem to find the dimensions anywhere and the width is an issue. Anyone have eny experience with these?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts