Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after having yet another race night last night ruined by software playing up

I am in search of a Fully WORKING race mangement system

So what is their out to try ??

We have either a PBPro SH setup or APB, PitPro with in and out sensors

It needs to run Lap limited races and also timed endurance races

Be able to run Pace Cars ( Fixed Pace is fine )

Apply fuel managment to the race

So what do you use and why

Also remember this is for use in a club, not home racing, as our normal race is 150 laps long with upwards of 6 heats

So it needs to be bullet proof ie no missed laps no BUG's if we are going to convert anolouge racers to digital it needs to run as smoothly as the anolouge clubs do

Michael

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i thought you had trialled pclapcounter Michael.
and that this was a solid package,so is it missing some features that you need.

at the moment i think that there are only 2 platforms available that support pit pro and you are aware of these.

There are a couple of new software packages being advertised but they are still in there early stages.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PCLapcounter runs well doesn't seem to mess up

But it needs a lot of setting up to get it right

It also breaks up a race night in a different way to how we run our race nights

·
Registered
458 Posts
In my opinion there is no good software for digital racing!
Its all making racing regarding to the old fashion way.
But I remember ther was a tread about new software.
The answer caqn be!
Split it up!
Make one part for racing and one part for cars and members!

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
it is fair to say that ssdc development is in summer recess while Andy pursues his summer interests and commitments with the family..

There are some parts that i was looking forward to before the summer shutdown,these being penalty system and more functions for the throttle pro boxe's..

Apb firmware issue's took up a lot of the time earlier in the year so things have slowed a little compared to last year.

With each major update to ssdc there are usually bug fixes included as well,it may take a few more months for things to push forward again but i know where my loyaltys lie, ssdc has given me and a friend or two some superb racing entertainment.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Even today, the race control systems used in analogue racing don't do absolutely everything individual clubs want automatically. But as Michael says, they do run races smoothly. (Well the best of them do.)

The trick is to have a race controller who is competent and confident in what he's doing. Yes he'll make use of what the automatic race control system will do, perhaps use a spreadsheet written to organise the data the race control system won't do - not forgetting pen and paper which still works just fine for some jobs in the hands of a competent individual.

Of course some of these race controllers have had years of practice starting out with the rather rudimentary race control systems that were all that existed many years ago, so the good ones know what they are doing. About the only thing that's very difficult to work round is a system that miscount laps. So any that do that are prime candidates for the reject pile.

Just like in analogue, wait for the perfect race control system that does everything you want and you'll have a very very long wait.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 15 Jun 2012, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are some parts that i was looking forward to before the summer shutdown,these being penalty system and more functions for the throttle pro boxe's..

Perhaps it would be a good idear to get where it is at the moment working 100% before bolting on more new bits ???

QUOTE (300SLR @ 15 Jun 2012, 22:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The trick is to have a race controller who is competent and confident in what he's doing. Yes he'll make use of what the automatic race control system will do, perhaps use a spreadsheet written to organise the data the race control system won't do - not forgetting pen and paper which still works just fine for some jobs in the hands of a competent individual.

Just like in analogue, wait for the perfect race control system that does everything you want and you'll have a very very long wait.

Thing is the race controller has to race aswell

Not doing everthing I want, just getting the basics right and working would be nice

So does anyone actually use SSD for a digital club ????

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Sorry Michael ........ no software ever works 100% of the time because there are too many variables involved.

There is the computer and it's various bits; attached hardware and it's various bits; the operating system which needs to be kept up to date because the tools used to build the software and are always being updated with new features; maybe newer operating systems, eg Win7. Then you decide that you want a bigger and faster computer and so the circle closes and goes around again.

At my sailing club I set up SSDC for digital racing and use large tracks, we have up to 16 people at a time. There is the occasional glitch ...... we just laugh it off or start again.

At home I'll be using my Display-Pro for messing about on and testing my cars and modifications on.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thing is Greg it is not the ocassional glich

Last night the whole night was lost due to the sofware just playing up

Different gliches all the time

One example run a 140 lap race only for it not to end then wouldnt even end using the RED end race button ????? so ruining that race series
as it was like we hadn't run that heat at all yet we had the start lights go at the begining ????

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
Hi Michael,

I notice you commented on the "Race Coordinator Digital" thread yesterday.

Have you tried this on your APB (not PB-Pro) yet?

I'm tempted to give it a shot and wondered if you had any experience of it?

Lack of pace cars isn't a problem for us and the fact it uses PitPro, does fuel simulation and has drive-through penalties makes it appeal on paper.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not on a race night I have not

I have had a play with just the laptop and powerbase connected but no track

It seemed ok but lacked a lot of bits that we want

Also I couldn't really see how you set up a year long championship and then add races to it ???

need to have a longer look at it and watch the vids

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
We use the SSDC to control the race and a spreadsheet that a friend created that sorts out all of the drivers to ensure they all race each car etc including bonus points for fastest laps which the takes the evening scores and convers them to league points.

Unless a huge bug crops up we agree that the computer is right and when it's not we hope eventually everyone will even out, you have to remember that we all race for the fun of it, well at least I'm not aware of any way to race for a salary.

·
Greg Gaub
14,654 Posts
I also use other apps, and a separate spreadsheet to track a series/championship. Sometimes we use SSDC 4, sometimes something else. Sometimes even the APB all on it's own, and nothing but paper to track the laps/points and winner. I would also like to use SSDC 5 for its intended purpose, but have also had enough problems on race night that we no longer risk it. It's very upsetting when someone has an especially good race (especially someone who usually struggles to stay on or get ahead), and there's a problem that ends up with a restart.

If you want to use a spreadsheet, Stan made a great one available. PM him if you can't find his thread for it. I'm pretty sure he's still active enough to get the message and reply to you.
Here's his thread:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry535819

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
As you might know, we are developing RCS64 for the APB. It is hard work, but slowly getting there to get a stable version. We really do not want to throw It out in the open with too many issues. I am interested in what you think a championship/season etc. should consist of. We will have an event planner, but I dont expect It earlier than end of this year. There is so much other stuff to do before the event planner, but It will be In and I love to read what kind of events should be included, and the point system. What will be included anyway will be events based on real life racing, like DTM with pit stop window, WTCC with 2 races in a weekend etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I actually have more problems with APB and SSDC version 5 than I did with PBPro SH and version 4. It seems like SSDC has taken a step backwards in overall stableness with the APB. My impression is that the APB is different enough that Andy is somewhat starting over. I don't have any reason to think that it won't get worked out eventually and I won't be switching software any time soon. If I had to do it over agian though I would have kept my PBPro SH in working order until things get worked out with APB software. I've already gutted my PBPro into a pit lane sensor so there's no going back for me now.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One thing further I have noticed, is that if 2 or 3 of you are using SSDC, it runs fine, but then when we have 6 cars being driven, that is when I start to see the problems ???

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Well that looks pretty clear to me.
Back to the good old pbpro with v4 and a spread sheet.
The apb is a great stand alone product from scalextric but when you conect it to software it just becomes a nightmare.
We are lucky as a new club that our members have stuck with us.
Hopefully we can get on with some racing now

1 - 20 of 26 Posts