SlotForum banner

NERCS rebuild in pics.

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  loosesalute 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The rebuild of NERCS track is now entering it`s final stages.
Ron has machined the legs & built the frame out of softwood . He finished them off with a lovely varnish.
There was no expense spared on the main boards.
He has bought in birchwood ply & cut it to size.
Six boards in total which securely biscuit together, with no bumps or ridges anywhere.
The two central boards are changeable so we can run a NASCAR track.
New Chris developed software for the track design,& the boards went into a factory for CNC routing this week.
The factory has done a splendid job of the routing.
Ron has now painted the boards & shipped them over to NERCS for copper taping & wiring.
Here`s the first photos of the track going up at NERCS.
Cheers,
Kev.

One half of the frame. Notice the "split" leg.

The full frame & legs. Colour co-ordinated for ease of construction.

The boards go on.

See less See more
#3 ·
It was an early start at NERCS today.
Our resident sparky Poison Dwarf had designed the electrics, so it was down to him & fellow sparky Geordie Puffda Good Looking Paul to get things moving.
Big thanks also to The Great Ronaldo, Wayne Oral, New Chris, Mark, Waynes World VW Tony & Mathew Slot Car Senna for all their help.
Everyone (except me!) worked their socks off & by 6pm we had a circuit which functioned AOK.
Cheers,
Kev.

New Chris (who sorted out the CNC routing) & Mathew.

Ultra handyman-Wayne Oral.

Poison Dwarf Chris.

Geordie Puffda Good Looking Paul.

Waynes World & VW Tony(cap).

The Great Ronaldo fixing the storage cupboard.

#4 ·
I'm sorry that I couldn't stay longer yesterday, but its looking good.

It may have cost you a few quid but by getting the routing done at a shop, saved you a lot of hassle & mess.

I am gutted that I can not make the race night on Thursday as I'm really looking forward to having a go on the new track.

Well done to the club, especially to Ron for all his hard work.

Cheers Paul.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
It was a 9.30 start this morning as we made final preparations to the new layout.
Many thanks for Poison Dwarf Chris & Wayne Oral for helping out today.
The track works like a dream with not a bump in sight.
Because of the extra width we have been able to banish the Grandstands to the edges of the layout, giving members a better view of the track whilst racing. I`m sure this small change will be welcomed as several people have commented on the viewing situation in the past.
The two main curves are now wider & more sweeping which means higher entrance & exit speeds, however this has been at the cost of a slight reduction in the length of the main straight.
The inner curves are still challenging, but are not quite as tight as before. Although you do seem to get better grip on the birchwood surface than on the old MDF.
The "chicane section" has disappeared altogether adding to the overall speed of the new layout.
We hope you enjoy your new track.It has been an expensive exercise, but treat properly it will give many years of pleasure to club members.
Next on the agenda is to upgrade both the power supply & throttles throughout the remainder of 2011 & into 2012.

Don`t forget you have the opportunity to test out the new track on Club Championship night, this Thursday. Doors open from 7pm. Racing starts at 8pm. New members always welcome.

Finally, in recognition of all Rons efforts the new track will be named in his honour;

THE RONALDO RACEWAY.

Cheers,
Kev.

Ron adding the final touches.

Finshed.

#9 ·
Pictures look great, still got the two boards to wire up, these are to convert championship layout into a huge nascar oval, if we had the room, which could happen in the future these boards could be used to extend the layout to 21 foot instead of the 14 feet at the moment.

Photo diode timing sensors are still to be fitted, ready for the first nascar endurance challange event shortly.

Would like to thank all members from NERCS and TSCC for they continued support throughout the year and my geordie marrow good looking paul.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
"Braw"... fantastic Scottish there Leo!

Here`s where you can all laugh at us.
The gray is "Cool Gray" matt emulsion from Homebase.
The green is "Lovely Green" matt emulsion from B&Q.......it`s all we could shoplift.....
I was wanting to use Sandtex paint, but all the puffs in the club who use NSR cars were frightened in case it hurt their tyres....diddums...
Cheers,
Kev

#22 ·
Hi there all at NERCS..

Kev... The new track looks excellent, well done, a great job by all..

I will try my best to make the journey "Further Up North" (from Manchester that is) to your club, and meet you all, plus my mate "Dave", kidnapped from our Pendle club
... Please say "hello" to him for me.

The track looks very smooth and should be great to race on.... Did you use a roller or brush, when painting it and the infield ?..

Good luck with the first nights meeting, and hopefully see you soon.

All the best.. Martin De'Ath.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank-you Martin, we look forward to welcoming you at NERCS!
The gray was put on with a bog standard B & Q Value roller...it gave a lovely texture!
I brush painted the green. It was simply a case of marking 2 inches out from the track all the way round, then painting. Took over five hours to do, but I reckon it was worth it.
Cheers,
Kev.

P.S. NERCS is going to get down to Pendles before Xmas, so I might see you then!

#24 ·
Thanks for the info Kev.
If I was a Glaswegian you would be in trouble over the paint choice, I'll just say that I am very impressed that the paints were chosen by careful consideration of their names...
As Lewis Hamilton once said - "Who's decision was that?" LOL

Leo

#26 ·
bloody hell kev if it took 5 hours to paint that i wouldnt want to see how long it would take you to do the living room ceiling! I think sandtex paint would have been ok im sure it was those who race 50 year old classic jeouf cars who didnt want to ruin their collectable value

cant wait to have a go tonight its going to be well good fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.