SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listed here

Electric Dreams

I wonder if anyone will import them over here and how much for? they look like they could be a fun club class.

Cheers

John

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi John,

I believe that the new AMT kits are 1/25th scale - not that anyone would be able to tell the difference!

I'm guessing that they are based on existing AMT static kit models. The range includes a 2006 Chey Camaro concept, a 1970 Chevy Camaro, a 1966 Chevy Nova and a 1957 Chevy.

They also do two 1/32nd 'movie cars', based on Polar Lights kits:-

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
973 Posts
At $60 they look like real bargains - it's disappointing to think that by the time they reached the UK with VAT and postage and customs charges their price will probably have doubled, which puts them into Scaleauto/BRM territory. Is the chassis kit sold separately?

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
US sites are showing them available now

cheers
DM

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Nova. With a lot of work I think it turned out fine. The kit , at least mine, could not be taken out of the box and assembled as is. Getting the wheels on the axles was an issue as the way they come they they can not be pushed on by hand. The axle is way to big for the mounting hole on the wheel. They are plastic and too much pressure and they might break I would think. I ended up drilling them out and then added some epoxy glue. There were other issues too. You might want to check the thread at Home Racing World. There is a long chat in the 1/24th section.

I guess if you want to take this kit, and I can only speak to the Nova, out of the box and have it together and running right with only what is in the box, I wish you luck. Most of my racing buddies returned theirs as fast as they could. My stubborn streak got in the way and I think the only thing that prevented the kit from taking a flier out the window is, well I'm to stubborn to admit I should have returned mine too. If I had to do this kit over I would just buy the static kit and build my own chassis or purchase a good running chassis. I know this sounds a bit on the down side, but I think folks are going to be captivated by the box art and saddened by the contents. Once again I can only speak to the Nova kit. Regards, John

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's not only the Nova.
The new AMT kits are apparently the worst pieces of junk to hit the slot car racing scene in many years.
Angry reviews are coming up everywhere from disappointed people who have been unfortunate to purchase these kits.
Experienced and well-known builders like Jairus Watson and Philippe de Lespinay gives their verdict on the new AMT kits here:
New AMT Slot Car Kit Review
Read and learn about the many shortcomings of these kits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Totally disappointed , bought the Green Hornet kit.Yes the hubs didnt fit the asxles , the crown gear was impossible to line up and keep from binding,the body rubbed on the back wheels.I ended up using a crown from my parts box.The front wheels dont touch on the track unless you shave the guide.Lets just say it kept me from buying the batmobile

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
if you search ebay.com, youl find a few 1/25 cars for under fourty quid posted to the uk. i was tempted by the nova and 57 chevy. john

·
Gerald Lambourn
998 Posts
In March we are having a US Muscle Car day at the Bordeaux club in both scales. The instigator of the idea bought the Camaro kit to the club the other day and immediately drew cries of derision from the experts. Such a shame as the AMT kits of the sixties were a quality product for their day, in fact I think Tamiya and Hasegawa must have used AMT as their standard to surpass. gerald

1 - 11 of 11 Posts