SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not overly fond of pin guides either.
In spite of the fact that TSRF uses them too, and they do eliminate certain problems, I just don't feel comfortable with almost no insulated separation between the braids. As I recall, the early Scalextric models used pin type guides and fairly soon abandoned them for the now standard swivelling 'T'.

However I have no reservations at all regarding plastic axle bushings - as long as they fit, of course - and I am sure they do.

As for lateral location of the back axle, I am a confirmed believer in not using the gears and motor bushings for this job! I think Slot Car Heroes made exactly the right decision in fitting a set screw gear that has to be properly spaced - it will save a lot of undue stress on both gears and motor shaft. It also makes it much easier to change wheels and gears and, if properly carried out, both are less liable to spin on the back axle.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Although you are largely right, Chris, doesn't it depend quite a lot on the particular track and the gap between rails? I don't have measurements to hand but, where Carrera would have a largish gap, Scalextric and SCX have a small one and no insulation between them, only that small gap. I would think this could make a difference. HO is more foolproof in having extremely thin rails that are widely separated and the pick ups are spring mounted rigid skids rather than flexibraids. Some HO guys even adapt their cars to use orthodox 1/32 style guides - there has to be a reason why they would do this.

My limited experience with TSRF 1/32 pin guide leads me to believe that it is more susceptible to the exact set up of the braid and isn't fond of keeping the cars under power when they get their back ends out of line, compared with a standard swivel blade. However, this does depend VERY much on the radius of the curves and my comments are based on homeset plexytrack of standard radius. It almost certainly doesn't apply on wide radius curves and this is where some of the disagreement is created, where some guys are on small radius and others on large - the experience is going to be different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts