SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
David Collins
2,469 Posts
Following consultation at races in 2010, and this Slot Forum CSCRA club area, a draft of a new 2011 CSCRA car standard for Saloons has been published for discusssion, comments and suggestions for corrections and additions.

With the addition of extra classes, the Saloon/Touring Cars classes have been separated out from the Sports/GT document.

The new documents take in cars up towards the end of the 1980s and the early 1990s, including a Group Five class and classes for the popular NASCAR and TransAm cars.

Please post any comments you have regarding the Saloons class on this thread only and leave the earlier threads for the Sports/GT and GP classes.

You can download the pdf file on the 2011 Car Standards page on the CSCRA site. We'd welcome any further comments and suggestions for improvement.

David

·
Registered
431 Posts
The only area I have a problem with is "Motor orientation"
In Sports/GT after 1963 we have free choice so can use in-line,anglewinder or sidewinder, but throughout the Saloon class periods we can only use in-line!
Some of the later RTR F1s come with anglewinder set-ups as well (Fly Williams for example)
Thinking back to the questionaire I filled in I'm not sure this is what was made clear. Can we possibly ask for views on this and why only one class is allowed free orientation choice.
Other than that, an excellent job done by **** and David
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi Mike,
Glad someone has read through it all.
Regarding 'Inline only' for the Touring car classes.
When I did the survey only 6 out of the 20+ people questioned wanted to allow angle and sidewinder scratch built touring cars.
This is certainly not a clear majority in favour of changing from the current 'inline only' rule.

The Group 5 class is 'free' only because these are more 'Sports Cars' than 'Touring Cars', though many of them were touring car based, and it needs to tie in with the Group 5 cars in the Sports Car standards so that cars are interchangeable.

For the RTR touring cars there is now more freedom to upgrade them than in the past.
This is what a big majority voted for, and RTRs have never had to be inlines only.

If, after reading the 2011 standards, there is a clear majority now in favour of dropping the 'Inline Only' rule then that's fine with me but we do need a consensus on this.
If anyone has an opinion on this please post it on here.

Cheers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I still do not understand why Sports cars can have free choice of motor orientation from 1963 onwards but no other class can run anything than in line.
Was I the only one who asked for this change on the census?
Most of the good commercial RTR Sports and Saloon cars are now running angle or sidewinder motors so are we going to be left behind with scratch building?
Mike

·
Gary Skipp
6,542 Posts
Hi Mike

As I understand it the SW chassis are kept back for the 'fastest' mean machines, hence later period sports cars. I think the aim is to establish some sort of performance differential so that saloon cars and older sports cars don't end up putting in the same times, and also so that each class can retain some sort of character particular to the cars.

I don't have a problem with this, but the down side for me is that it makes it difficult to model full interiors with a lot of inline cars.

I beleive exceptions are accounted for with RTR cars in the new rules.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi Mike,
No, you weren't the only one to vote for angle/side winders to be allowed in the saloon classes.
However there was no clear majority in favour of this, actually less than 1/3rd of the vote.
What most people wanted to see was a freeing up of the RTR saloon cars and this is what has been done.

The only 'saloon' class that is not inline is Group 5 cars from the late '70s DRM.
Cars like Zakspeed Capris, BMW Batmobiles and Porsche 935s.
These are more sports cars than saloons and it has been done to tie in with the sports car standards of the same period.

As for 'scratch building being left behind' I must disagree.
An Inline isn't automatically slower than an Angle/Sidewinder.
The fastest track records, Formula 1 & Sports cars, at Wellingborough are both held by inlines.
The best angle/sidewinder records are 3 to 4 tenths slower.

Inline saloon cars do provide a different challenge from GP cars in having enclosed bodies and the opportunity to fit all kinds of movable parts.
They are also not just 'sports cars with a different body fitted', as would be the case if chassis design was free.

I hope you can understand how the majority see this.
Cheers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
**** (and Gary)
Thanks for responses, fully understand that it was a majority decisio, just thought I would ask the question.
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think these Saloon and Touring car standards are well thought through with a sensibly consistent set of wheel diameters and ground clearance with the sports and GP classes of corresponding periods. The idea of separate classes for NASCAR and Trans Am is good. I wonder who will be brave enough to offer a meeting for the pre-1950 class?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts