SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Here is a 4 lane track that my mate Mike and myself have been building over the past 3 months in his shed, progress has been a little slow as we have only been working on it a few hours a week. Track dimensions are 4.6 metres by 1.7 metres, and has a running length of somewhere around 20 metres. This should hopefully give us 8-10 sec laps.
We merged the two hairpins on the track to make it even for all lanes, and so that you also have to watch out for other cars too. Being the tightest turn on the track the speeds should be slow enough not to do much damage.

Pictures follow the direction of the track and the first one starts where the start line will end up.

This picture page will be updayed constantly so be sure to check back in to see the progress.

http://server5.pictiger.com/albums/555/mikes-track/

Any questions, compliments or criticism are welcome, we are always looking to improve so feedback is the best thing for it.

Phil

·
Ian
99 Posts
Phill,
Very nice looks to really flow I intend to keep checking back as requested, do you intend Sceninic additions and what are they?

Oh and by the way Wellcome to the forum it is a place you will enjoy but be careful it is addictive. We like photos

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for scenery, who knows, i imagine we will try and keep things reasonably simple, the woodland scenic stuff seems pretty popular among most of the other guys in here, might just get some track borders up first and see what space is left over, theres not much space for scenery unfortuantely.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Phil & Mike.....

Welcome to SF

That track looks absolutely mint!! Thanx for sharing your progress with us here.
I don't think i have seen such a "perfectionist" track, since Toby's Targa Lestrell
There is certainly gonna be some action around the squeeze hairpin! Like the F1 mock up pic.

Keep us posted on this fantastic build.

BTW, where abouts on the planet are you?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zipp,

Hi mate thanks for welcoming us to the forum.

We both hail from the Adelaide Hills in South Australia.

Weve been mucking around with plastic track for years and finally felt that there was far to much work involved with maintaining a 4 lane track. Eg dead spots etc.

So we embarked on this little project with a fair bit of doubt from a few people.
Its definately suprised us in how well it has turned out. Although we have had probably the best resource to get it done right, the Forums and Oldslotracer.com

Not to bad for a 22 and 20 yr old.

Phil

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

Have been busy again doing a bit more work on the track. We have finally finished all of the undercoat and should get most of the ferrodor painted on this week.
Next week we should have most of the track borders finished. and begin either some scenery or lay some copper tape out. Either way were not too far away from finishing things off.

Here are a few photos of the progress.

Here is a picture of the little test track that we have also included on the track, we did this first to test out the ferrodor and make sure that the copper tape stuck to the surface.

Got it wired up this arvo and had a quite a few laps around the little track.

click on each of the pics for a larger view. You can also click on this link to check the progress made.

Phil

·
Ian
99 Posts
Phill,
how Cool is that! Lookin' Great now you come to the fun stage puttin' all that copper down it's a case of take your time!, but this material won't allow you to do anything else!!

Keep them photos comming

GOOD Luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,

Got some more work done on Fri arvo. Ended up painting the first coat of ferrodor right round the whole track. Also purchased some sheets of 6mm mdf for the table borders.
Bunnings quoted $32 a sheet, quite a rip off, so i called my cousin who worked in a timber company, ended up getting 2 sheets for $22.50 saving of about $40.

Also got around to wiring up the small test track properly. used a blank GPO plate and drilled an 11mm hole in it to accomodate the 6.5mm audio socket.

Looks like the track should be finished in around 3 or 4 weeks.

Anyways enough of my babble heres the pics.

Hairpin coming out from under the bridge.

Down the start srtaight and into the first right hander.

After the middle straight in to the sweeping downhill righthander and into the Hairpin.

Out of the sweeper and onto the long main straight.

end of the straight and into the spoon curve, back under the bridge and restart the lap again.

The test track.

The test track wiring.

you can also use the main link from my other posts to view all pictures.

next update should be in a week or two, going away over easter so im not expecting much to get down. Hopefully by the next post we will have all painting done, and be starting on scenery.

Phil

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Phil, Mike,

You guys are making cracking progress.
The track is looking superb, just the copper taping and wiring to do.

QUOTE We both hail from the Adelaide Hills in South Australia.
Doh!!
, looks like i won't be asking to pop round for a quick blast then.
Keep posting the pix as you progress

And don't forget some video footage too, once you have the track up and running.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys,

Well we've finally been at it again, got some more work done on the track this week.
Ended up painting the final coat of ferrodor on the track, it looks absolutely superb. Better still the type of paint is iron oxide based paint, so the magnetic properties are quite good
when putting a car down on the track you could actually feel a slight pull towards the track surface. Cant spell the first part of the paint name but it sounds like "Macasious" iron oxide. Absolutely cant wait to get the copper down and set some cracking laps. That should happen over the next week or two depending on how much time we can spare. Also have to start putting in timing sensors and controller ports so hopefully we can have this done soon.

Also got a half of the table borders up and also got a bit of green painting done for some of the runoff areas. So its starting to really take some good shape.

Picture of the borders around the spoon curve.

Picture of the borders around the spoon curve. From a bit further back

Picture of spoon curve from other side.

Picture of the sweeper coming out from the hairpin and onto the main straight.

Hoffy, still haven't been able to work out the track length, im hoping above 20 metres but ill get back to you on that one.

Heres the link to the whole gallery is you feel compelled to take a look at the progress.

regards
Phil

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys,

Well we've been at it again, Mike and Matt his younger brother have been at it again and have got a stack more painting done. Have now completed all of the track borders so its completely enclosed and no way for cars to make the leap of faith on to the hard concrete floor.

Last steps are now to work on the hill area with a bit of plaster, and finish off cutting the pre made grass which doesnt look all that bad and is really simple to lay down. After thats done its wagons ho to go find some copper tape and get that down.

Heres the latest batch of pictures.

Here is the PCB i designed and got printed thru work, This does 8 lanes and does the start lights too. I have even included a relay to do the track power as well to keep those hooligans under control. All connections are made thru the printer port and each board connects via standard network cable. Leds Are 10mm. This all works with the VRS software.

Picture of the cut grass ready to be stuck in place on the spoon curve.

Grass patch at the end of the main straight.

The bridge which should get the final touches soon.

This is where some plastering will be done to create a hill for the bogans to cheer from.

Out of the final hairpin and thru the sweeper to the main straight.

Out of the sweeper and down the main straight.

Switch box that will be doing track power override and switch from forward to reverse.

Section that will be made into a gravel trap.

The Link to the entire gallery.

Should hopefully be done in the next week or two. Hopefully on the same weekend as the big Lemans race.

Phil, Mike and Matt.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You state that "It does 8 lanes and starting lights." So is "it" a lap counter interface, starting light interface or is it a "stop/go" interface so that up to 8 drivers can call a "caution" and pause the action for a minute...or is it that a caution called from a PC can stop up to eight cars?

I know, I know... I'm not the smartest berry in the bunch...

-M

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
M

well in answer to your question
QUOTE So is "it" a lap counter interface, starting light interface or is it a "stop/go" interface so that up to 8 drivers can call a "caution" and pause the action for a minute...or is it that a caution called from a PC can stop up to eight cars?
Answer: It does all of these things....

The little Track to PC interface i built is an 8 Lane Lap Counter/Timer. It was built to make things neat and improve reliability. There is another smaller terminal block board (not shown in photo) which connects to the interface board where the phototransistor sensors are wired in. It also does the start lights both on the PC and on the LED board that i have built. Yes there is a caution Feature in the program. By pressing the space bar it will cut power to all lanes. And gives you the option to restart the race again. Basically the PC takes care of all timing, lap counting, point scoring etc.
You can download it here.
http://www.virtualracesystem.co.uk/

There should also be some schematics on the site to help wire it all up too.

Hope this explains this a bit better

Phil

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all,

Well today was one of those days you just want to relive over again, Myself and Mikes younger brother Matty spent a good 3-4 hours laying the copper tape for one lane, me doing one side him doing the other. We fully completed 1 whole lane and jimmy rigged the test track power and controller up to it and all i can say is WOW!!! Also wired it up in both directions and each way feels very different.

The track has got an awesome feel to it, really free flowing in sections, while being tight and technical in others. But a good rhythm could be picked up after a few solid laps.

Cars we tried on it were a:

Scalextric DTM Mercedes, man did that thing go, was incredibly smooth and fast through the turns. Ran and estimated 10 sec lap.

A ninco Jordan F1, this was the quickest car by a fair way, so much control for the spped it was going, easily in to the low 9s or high 8 secs.

Scalextric Ford GT40, this was also quick, wasnt setup properly as its still new out the box but impressive none the less.

And the real suprise packet was an older scalextric Audi A4 british touring car. Handled like a dream and would easily match one of the newer sidewinder DTMs.

New Pictures will be coming soon, and will hope to get a bit of video action so you can see for yourselves. I will try and post a movie made today on my phone but it looks more like a fast blur

Phil, Mike and Matt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi All,

Have got a few more pics of our progress.

This last couple of weeks have been copper taping and doing all the electrical. Have got two lanes worth of copper tape down and working. Have also nearly finished the wiring for all the lane direction switch and computer or manual track power switch. Its a complete jungle of wires underneath, will ahve to get a shot of it when its done.
Have also started on the scenery with the grass surrounds. Mike bought a sheet of grass from the local hobby store. This has been cut to shape and glued around parts of the track.

A movie was taken tonight but i need to register with putfile first. So thatll be over the next couple of days.

The photos are of a couple of Fly Classics having a battle, 917K and a 908.

Phil, Mike, Matt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.