SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow slot enthusiasts,

After a few weeks of "car-time preeration" and not much posting, I thought I'd give you a preview of what's on the drawingboard, and also welcome your comments.
Having recently returned from the IMCA worlds in Barcelona, and having had a very good event all-round, with three large trophies having to find their way all the way back home, I also decided to MAX out the plastic money to purchase the much needed, and "not locally available" outer curves and such for Carrera Track, in order to then return, and completely rebuild my own Garage track.

The IMCA results also re-enforced my personal views about how good Carrera Track is, especially for running both 1/32, but also the IMCA type Plafit/Momo/Schoeler type cars as used in Europe. So, after almost two weeks, this is what I have designed, based on the following criterion.

1. Had to be a 4 laner, for racing with neighbourhood mates.
2. Had to fit into 5.5 meters x 1.7 meters, due to allowed space in single garage.
3. Must be easily marshallable, in case driver numbers are low.
4. Had to provide even lanes all-round.

In total, the track offers up just under 40 feet of lane length, which I think is quite cool considering all the options I have.

Other important issues are: It will feature LC's for both Analogue and Digital racing. I will be doing a Hybrid graft of Ninco electrics into Carrera LC's, thus bypassing Carrera's digital shortcomings. (Don't get me wrong, it's solid as can be, but just some things which I don't like, and which Ninco have overcome.)

I haven't yet named the new "place", but it will feature some landscape detail and a working pitlane.
I think I've managed to cram in a nice flowing track with varying degree curves into the space I've allowed, and yet still have a decent racing track to have fun on. The Lane changers will be situated in the winding sections, wherever you see 2 straights together (Carrera Double length LC's, and will incorporate a Dual LC across the middle of the tracks where the Pitlane entry is, and the single LC's in the prrevious straight pointing inward, and the other two on the next section facing outward. So it would require 2 complete laps in order to traverse from one outer lane to the other lane and back again.

I'd be interested to hear your views on this track, as well as other issues I'm considering such as painting and weathering of the track surface etc.

Let the comments flow boys...

Regards

Big Al

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
are you going to use the origial bridge somewhere? coz in this scenario you cant place the way up. if you cross the bridge first and turn down in a laguna seca corckscrew its easier to gain hight.
anyway, I like the layout like this too, but carrera track is a little bit too sturdy to flex I thought.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi FZSsemans

No I'll be mounting the track on a wooden table, and use fasteners to keep it down, but will lay the overpass on a custom cut piece of thin wood to help the track in the gentle climb up around the dounut. It will rin in a clockwise direction as you look at it.

Regards

Al

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Why not just use Ninco track? it would be much simpler, and all but the really big 1/24th would work on ninco track anyway.

Hope it goes well.

Matt

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gord, u're on the money dude,

Matt, you missed the post of me buying MORE Carrera Track, and the fact I want the track to support 1/24 cars more than the 1/32 toys...
IMHO, Ninco vs Carrera = No brainer buddy... Having owned three of the four brands, (including a number of woodies), you can't beat Carrera for all the others bundled together.

Also, having measured the climb up from under the bridge to the top, it's easily got enough length and sufficient flex to make the climb, and include some canbering in the curve..

Pics, if anyone is interested, will start soon.

regards

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,

well this weekend was HEAVY PT.. I bought the two tables, and have them up and in place.
Now starting to cut them with the shape of the track, and then start building the bridge.

More to follow soon.

regards

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update.

Layed the whole track down after cutting tables to "get a good layout persepctive"...

This looking toward the end of the straight, and into the "back section" essies.. Also, the Pitlane entry can be seen here. The straight with the starting lines on it is temporary, it will have two Lane Changers bringing the two outer lanes in to the middle two lanes. Then the straight where the Pitlane is will have a dial Lane Changer across the middle two lanes.

This view looking at the bridge and donut. Also, the sstraights where the pitlane is exiting will feature another lanechange, but only on the outer lane, so there should be little collisions with pit exits etc.

Here you can get a reasonable idea of the canber over the bridge..

So tonight, I glued down all the supports for the bridge, and started fastening track down the main straight, and also putting in the power taps every 4 to 5 feet. The wiring alone will be a serious job, as it's going to be switcheable via a toggleswitch setup. All LC's will be individually powered to keep voltage on the track as strong as possible, and , towards the end of the build, when basic scenery gets put down, I'm going to look at small lighting around the track for night sessions etc..

So much to do, and only one of me to do it...

Cheers

Big Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More updates at last.

The track is now completely mounted and joined together. I have wired 6 power taps evenly around the entire track on each lane, and isolated all digital pieces to be powered independantly when it does all get wired up. The Ninco Digital electroncs will be grafted into the track using the standard Carrera LChangers.

Here you can see the pit entry and middle Dual LC to cross over the center of the 4 lanes.

Here looking down the 4.8 meter main straight.

This pic clearly shows the smooth transition up and over the track. Could prove a little tricky in racing...

Here you can see the two "out-to-in" Lane changers. There's only one in-to-out lane changer one the outside track where the pit exit comes back onto the track, so it's at least 2 laps to get from the out to the inner lane.

Some of the "boyz" posing for the Forum...

I'm currently awaiting the arrival of some 8mm thick "Correx", a hard plastic laminate with a "corrugated" middle section, ideal for use as the spin-out border sections around the outside of the curves. Spinout sections are not available here in SA. Then, laying of "grass" courtesy of some cheap "shoemats" bought at the local grocery store. Then scenic barriers, coloured hazard decals around the curves, Pit area assembly and the list goes on... More to come in the next few days..

What do you guys think??

Regards

Big Al

·
Administrator
10,413 Posts
QUOTE Here you can see the two "out-to-in" Lane changers. There's only one in-to-out lane changer one the outside track where the pit exit comes back onto the track, so it's at least 2 laps to get from the out to the inner lane.

If I understand you right you will NEVER be able to make it back to the inside lane. You needed min 2 in/out and 2 out/in plus the x changer
Hope I am mis-reading you

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the supportive comments..
RicoRocket, the first Lane Changers are out to in, the next straight has a dual Lane Changer to cross from the outside tracks to the inside track, and then one lap later, another out to in lane change puts you on the inside lane, and ready to go into the pits...

More detailing starts this weekend..

Cheers

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi guys,
RicoRocket, I must apologise, I was mis-reading your post with the "outside" and "inside" of the track. What I haven't included yet, is the second "out to in" Lane changer, which is a hybrid piece I'm cutting into the pitlane exit track.. Essentially, the second half of the cross-over will have the3 Pitlane coming back into that lane..
A little difficult to explain, but that will be the inner lane's move to the middle lanes..

Here, I've done a little image manipulation to show the inner lane change where the pitlane comes back onto the track..

Cheers for now

Big Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Added 3/4's of the track Spinout borders today.. Also did some tests with the cars, and I'm really happy with the track. The donut is a very technical corner, but the rest is nice and flowing..

Regards

Al

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
QUOTE (MattZani @ 14 Oct 2006, 09:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice looking track, with a generic 'Lets just race' Feeling.
Although im surprised you didn't cut the pitlane peices to one lane.

Matt

I think he'll do a special section to merge the two pit lanes?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.