SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 2 Jan 2005, 17:35)Appreciate comments and feedback.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent artical....I was contiplating this exact issueas you saw with my track plans I did not have the LC's in it yet. I do beleave i was leaning towards sacraficial LC's and now reading your view it makes alot of sence to go this way because all that have bought Digital sets like the passing aspect.

By the way do you know is there an upgrade for the carrera designer to add PRO-X segments? cause I would like to add them to my plans. I was thinking of 4 LC,s on my track I know you run 3 do you feel you could put another in with out having to much?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Now actually have 8 LCs, 4 of each. I have been changing them around and experimenting.

I could fit 12 in without much fuss. As long as they are sacrificial, you dont introduce the chance of being constantly cut off by other cars.

I use MS-paint to create the line for the LCs. Im using an old version of the software, maybe a newr version will have LCs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 2 Jan 2005, 18:21)I use MS-paint to create the line for the LCs.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cant beleive i didnt think of that....damn overnight shift work is killing my brain.
Well I just went in and added mine aswell in photoshop.

Here it is with what I can see as 4 sacraficial LC's. Let me know if you agree or not Darainbow. I did not want to put the LC's anywhere near the ends of long straights cause these suckers become rockets from a LC + Full trottle combination. I have one buddy that just cant grasp the concept to slow down.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks good. The only problem I see is the one LC right after the R1 turn. If the tail is swinging out, it might not trigger the LC. Its usually a good idea to put a straigt or at least a half straight before the LC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 2 Jan 2005, 19:03)That looks good. The only problem I see is the one LC right after the R1 turn. If the tail is swinging out, it might not trigger the LC.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very true I missed that...but I will test it out and more than likely have to figure some alternative.

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
Hi Darainbow
QUOTE (darainbow @ 2 Jan 2005, 22:35)New article with diagrams on my website. . . Appreciate comments and feedback.Very interesting article.

I've included a picture of my first digital track layout ... it's a 25m (or 82') two lane circuit on a 2,3x3,7m (or 7½x12') table, that seems to be working ok, but I haven't had much time to try it with some serious competition.

I would really appreciate your honest comments on my lane change placements.

(you don't have to be polite
)

The pit lane is not physically there yet ... I'm waiting for them to be released by Scalextric.

Here are some shots from the track just prior to changing to the above layout:
The pit lane
Infield
Round the back

I'm afraid that the quality is quite poor, as they were taken with my phone, but it gives you a little impression of the layout anyway. The layout and placement of the spectator stands are changed a bit to improve track visibility in the new layout.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
soren, that looks pretty great! Generally I think it is difficult for anyone to comment on LC placement much, the experience just isn't there. You need to tell US whats good and bad about that placement!

However - I do have one comment for when the pit lane is there:

all the in to outs and out to ins should be swapped! This is so the LC just before the pit lane will allow cars to get into the correct lane to use the pit lane, and the first LC after the pit lane allows cars to leave that possibly congested lane. Since all the othe LCs follow an (apparently - not enough experience to say for sure!) sensible alternating pattern, all the other LCs need to change too!

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 3 Jan 2005, 00:37)soren, that looks pretty great! Generally I think it is difficult for anyone to comment on LC placement much, the experience just isn't there. You need to tell US whats good and bad about that placement!I'll get back to you when we've done some serious racing.

QUOTE However - I do have one comment for when the pit lane is there:

all the in to outs and out to ins should be swapped! This is so the LC just before the pit lane will allow cars to get into the correct lane to use the pit lane, and the first LC after the pit lane allows cars to leave that possibly congested lane. Since all the othe LCs follow an (apparently - not enough experience to say for sure!) sensible alternating pattern, all the other LCs need to change too!Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soren,
Its not clear to me which of your LCs are beneficial and which are sacrificial. I dont have any experience driving the SSD LCs. It seems like taking an LC might actually be slower, but it may set you up well for the following section so it becomse a wash??

Anyway, its a nice layout.

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 3 Jan 2005, 00:46)Its not clear to me which of your LCs are beneficial and which are sacrificial. I dont have any experience driving the SSD LCs. It seems like taking an LC might actually be slower, but it may set you up well for the following section so it becomse a wash??I have trouble deciding that myself.

It's a clear benefit that you can dive to the inside track on all lane changes, but then you have the outside lane for the next corner.

One exception is the lane change just above the pit lane ... If you dive to the inside on that corner, you have to take at least the next 4 corners on the outside lane, and if you haven't passed the inside driver before the bottom right corner, you have to stay an additional 3 corners on the outside lane.

But I guess that if you can't pull it off there, you'll have to pick some of the other spots to make a pass.

QUOTE Anyway, its a nice layout.Thank you.

If I were to add another lane change ... where would you suggest I put it?.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts