SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Separate subject... but related to the New Bootloader... am I correct in understanding there is still a requirement to load an unsigned USB driver for Windows 10?

c

Edit... questions now answered.

1/ I followed the Galileo Engineering certificate update - easy.
2/ I followed the driver update procedure - easy.
3/ instantly bootloader v3 recognised the dongle and recommended I update the dongle firmware from v3.10 to v3.11 - I did that too - very easy!
4/ bootloadee v3 looks great - easily connects to decoders and SCP controllers.

Very nice job... to Martin, Marcel and Maurizio's team.

Thank you!

c

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
Testing, I have tried to update the firmware of the dongle and I think that by mistake I have put some wrong information and I think it has died. No led lights up. Is there a way to go back to factory settings? If I connect it to it by pressing the two buttons on the dongle at the same time, an LED lights up but the boootloader is not able to recognize it. Any ideas?
Can you recall what process you used to install the wrong firmware? This is not something that should be able to happen accidentally, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I've installed the new bootloader on two of my computers.

On the 1st one that had already the driver installed, all works fine, I was able to update the dongle from the firmware 3.10 to 3.11.

However, on my second Windows 10 PC, I've installed the drivers as recommended, installed he Bootloader, but it can't find the dongle.

It seems the Windows drivers is installed correctly, as per the picture bellow:

Cz67ui5h.jpg

I've tried to connect the dongle to different USB port, but no luck.

Any suggestion?

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I see its assigning to COM3 - when you move the dongle to a different physical port does the port number change in device manager?

c

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello, honestly, I am very afraid
grump.gif
grump.gif
to update the dongle (now 2.14) and now everything works fine, to be able to use the new version of the Bootloader.

Once the dongle was turned off, and slot-it had to change it for me.
mad.gif
mad.gif

And really, I couldn't figure out what happened when I got turned off.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion.

I think this is a problem with my computer setup, not the driver.

A couple of times, I've uninstalled the device, asked to delete the drivers, restarted the computer, and then re-installed the drivers. Same results: no recognition of the dongle while the drivers seem to be correctly installed.

So, I just took my kids recent laptop, installed the drivers, this time Windows asked me if I can trust it (on my computer it did not ask me), then installed the Bootloader. And here it works fine.

I'll dig in why on my computer he didn't ask me if I can trust the driver, while on the laptop it did, that might be the issue.

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Maybe worthwhile installing the O2 Chrono rms app (if not already installed) and then you could use this app to see whether the dongle is recognised?

c

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
Whether you use Chrono as an rms app, or not, it looks a great system diagnostic e.g. traffic lights to show which controllers and cars are in play and their IDs etc. I know it does far more than that... but a great system diagnostic too IMO.

c

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Great suggestion C!

I've install the O2 RMS. The dongle is recognized,the USB Comm green light is blinking. Cars are recognized as well, I could race.

However, still no lock with the Bootloader.

One thing I have noticed, after a PC restart, I've launched the bootloader, I could see it was briefly connected to the dongle as the dongle version was display, then immediatly disconnected and then started to look for it. This has only happen one time.

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I think we need Martin and Marcel to take a look off-line.

Meanwhile, my installation is working perfectly on a new Windows 10 machine.

I do however have one question for Martin, Marcel and Maurizio... why call this a bootloader? is it just historical? in my opinion the program is far more than a simple bootloader... for example... it can be used to change decoder and car ID settings, it can change track mode for the IR strobe, and loads more etc etc... so IMHO its really a Slot.it system configuration utility program with an in-built bootloader for firmware upgrades.

So as I say, far more than a simple bootloader which would typically only be used for transferring hex files.

And it has been really nicely implemented too. Thanks for sharing this hard work :thumbsup:

c

·
Vendor
2,986 Posts
Hello, honestly, I am very afraid
grump.gif
grump.gif
to update the dongle (now 2.14) and now everything works fine, to be able to use the new version of the Bootloader.

Once the dongle was turned off, and slot-it had to change it for me.
mad.gif
mad.gif

And really, I couldn't figure out what happened when I got turned off.
Neither we could, but it is the first time that it happened, so if I were you, I would update when necessary.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts