SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Vendor
2,981 Posts
I think we need Martin and Marcel to take a look off-line.

Meanwhile, my installation is working perfectly on a new Windows 10 machine.

I do however have one question for Martin, Marcel and Maurizio... why call this a bootloader? is it just historical? in my opinion the program is far more than a simple bootloader... for example... it can be used to change decoder and car ID settings, it can change track mode for the IR strobe, and loads more etc etc... so IMHO its really a Slot.it system configuration utility program with an in-built bootloader for firmware upgrades.

So as I say, far more than a simple bootloader which would typically only be used for transferring hex files.

And it has been really nicely implemented too. Thanks for sharing this hard work
thumbsup.gif

c
Yes, historically called Bootloader. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
6,586 Posts
BTW... really looking forward to using the new programme with slot.it configured ARC throttle controllers - thanks for adding this feature too!

c

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tampoco pudimos, pero es la primera vez que pasa, así que si yo fuera tú, lo actualizaría cuando fuera necesario.
Okay Maurizio, I will think about it and if I dare, I will carry out the update.
grump.gif
blink.png

The best way to update it is from the Botloader (new version / old version?), and can you go from version 2.14 to the latest version without problem?
wacko.png
wacko.png

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just tried to Downgrade a Dongle to Version 2.14. And then the bootloader cant connect like yours.

You can Install the old bootloader and upgrade the dongle.

And in the meantime I will figure out if I can update the new bootloader for handling the old FW.

Martin

Update: My mistake It actually work. I was just doing something wrong.

Can you PM me so we can debug your Dongle/system?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello. I have been able to get another dongle until mine is repaired. I have been doing checks with the new v3 bootloader since before it did not connect me and I have been able to find out that the error is in that I carried out the steps to connect after pressing the "connect" button and in this version you have to do it before. In the previous version, I could connect by following the steps after pressing this button and pressing enter at the end.

·
Banned
6,586 Posts
Opened up the latest Slot.it/RSCO2 bootloader on my Win10 machine a few minutes ago... clicked on download latest firmware and the new v3.12 firmware for dongle immediately appeared.

Clicked on connect dongle and then clicked on dongle firmware update... I was invited to select v3.12. I agreed, a progress bar raced across the screen and within approx 10 seconds the task was completed.

Once again thanks guys for making the whole experience so straight forward and enjoyable.

c

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
Same here. Worked great first time. Windows is another story, as I was forced into an update before it would let me do anything. Fortunately, after a few hours of it doing that, the bootloader installed, dongle found, updated, and I proceeded to test connection with controllers and car chips. All worked nicely, and as expected. It's nice to be able to easily set the lane change mode (O2/SSD/D132) with a simple button click for all the different types of chips. I'm especially enjoying the ability to save controller profiles, and then pair cars to any saved controller by selecting from the saved controller list.

I do have a couple requests, though. If possible, I'd like to be able to change the order of my listed/saved controllers. They are listed in order of when they were first saved, and I can't rearrange them at all. Ideally, I'd like to be able to manually change the order, but being able to click a button to re-order alphanumerically would be just as good. Also, I noticed that if I write a new ID # using that function, it's not saved to the controller DB. I'd like that to happen automatically whenever I use the Write button to change a controller ID. I can't think of any reason not to automatically save such a change to the controller database. Currently, you have to remember to save the controller again, after you've changed the ID.

A car/chip database with similar functionality would also be handy. :)

·
ParrotGod
9,349 Posts
I have not had time to do any updates but reading Mr Flippant's post I was thinking: should the bootloader have access to the same registration database as the App?

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
I think that would be great. Plug it into RCSO2 while they're at it.
smile.png

The upside is that the PC can save info about ALL the controllers and chips, not just the ones with the BLE chip (SCP3, Type B2/C)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice feedback and some nice ideas.

I am not sure how the Car database should work. The way the Controller DB works is that it stores the ID and Mac from the controller and clone it to the Car. But if we make a simuler DB for the Car, One off the DB will be invalid as the Mac and ID will change in the cloning Device. That's the Main reason why we haven't made the Car DB.

The drawback for the Controller DB is that if you use the controller combination for pairing car and controller the Controller MAC in the DB will not be in sync as this function copy the car mac into the Controller.

I hope it makes it all a bit clear how its working at least I did try to explain:).

We have actually talked about the Registration DB in the Bootloader, As I recall is the problem that this is a BLE command and the Dongle is not a BLE dongle.

We have also looked into if we might be able to a BLE dongle that is compatible with the nrf chip. then we could also add FW update for the bootloader, But the status is that we have only found one dongle and the API for this is very messy and limited. We haven't given up both slot.it and RCS Team are looking at that option.

Martin

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
Yeah... I still don't understand what you mean. Maybe an example will help? All I know is that it was really nifty to save all my controllers, and then as I went through the cars to confirm various settings, I would pair them to specific controllers that they had not previously been paired to. I could then drive the car with the controller. What kind of scenario would that not work?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Car and Controller have an ID number and a Mac address.

If the Controller and car have the same ID and Mac address their paired.

The controller DB stores the ID and Mac for the controller. Then When you connect a car and want it to be paired with a controller it change the MAC and ID in the Car to match the chosen controller.

This actually have a drawback. If you pair the Car and controller manually by the Button combination on the controller. The controller Mac is changed to the CAR MAC address. Then the controller in the DB have a mismatch in the MAC address.as the mac in the controller have changed.

To make a Car DB that does the same as the controller DB. we can only store the Car ID and when Cloning a Car to a controller the Controller in the DB is not valid anymore.

But that said its got me thinking. Maybe if the bootloader by default check if the connected controller is already registered in the DB and simply just change this as well.I gues that will work. Only drawback is if you use multiple PC's then you cant end up in a DB that is out of sync.

In major race that consist of a teams often use multiple controllers that are linked to one car. So it shall be easy to clone multiple controllers to one car. This was the first idea behind the Classic cloning. So it stores one Car and then you could connect controllers one by one and clone it to the car.

For home racers, the angel we took is users that are use to the SSD pairing function. they pair cars to controllers. they often have one controller paired to multiple cars. As we are going to a race with both controller and multiple cars.

That's why we have the Classic cloning function and also the Controller DB so we can fulfil both ways of handling this.

Damn this was a long description, I hope it helps a bit, I can tell that we have had several talks to Slot.it to try to find a simple way but we haven't found the golden way to do it. But we are as always open for suggestion.

Martin.

·
ParrotGod
9,349 Posts
Actually having the dongle to be able to do the BLE would be a great solution...but for that slot.it would need to develop a new dongle.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts