SlotForum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
15,386 Posts
Thanks, Martin. I understand now. I can see how that may be problematic. But, this also makes it useful to tie into the slot.it device database system, because then the repository is outside of the local PC/app. The problem with that, of course, is that you'd need to log in, and either limit to one account, or allow multiple logins.

I like your idea of checking against the stored data and updating it. I can't think of any reason not to do that, since apparently the MAC address is easily changed on any device. I always though that was pretty much set in stone, and pairing simply told each device what the other MAC address is for it to listen to or talk to.

·
Vendor
2,980 Posts
In fact, after the 3.15 rollout is finished, the next step is a new dongle.

Our first tests indicate that it may be possible to use it as a BL device, which would be a very good thing to integrate in the BL system.

·
Registered
290 Posts
MrFlippant

One drawback with the CarDatabase.

If you connect a controller and want to connect it to a car from the Database. I can lookup in the database the controller from the old Mac and ID, but what if you have two controllers with the same MAC and ID. Someone will have more controllers to one car. So I would not know witch one to change.

Sadly the bootloader are not able to readout a unique ID to the device, but I will talk to slot.it about this, We actually already have but as I recall we did park it for know as we had several other task to do before. But it might be that now is the time..

Martin

·
Registered
551 Posts
Installed V3 of the bootloader, and all is working well, liking also the (Available FW versions)
Since the pandemic my digital slot activity has been zero, so Catching up with latest developments. I have updated my C chip via the slot it app, with no issues, but surprised that the C chip you can't update the firmware via the bootloader, unless I'm missing the trick somewhere. For sure the bootloader is more convenient especially if your having issues regards internet connectivity via phone app.

·
ParrotGod
9,349 Posts
I am running all my oXigen races from a laptop on window 7. When I download the O2BootloaderInstaller.exe (from slot.it and martin's websites) and run it, it only gets to install the new National Instrument package manager and nothing else. The BL does not get updated. Is this upgrade only for Windows 10 users?

·
ParrotGod
9,349 Posts
Apparently yes....I have run the same procedure on my Win 10 machine and it installed it...Again it was mainly NI components, but when the process finished, the new Bootloader was in my list of recently installed programs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
To have the best result you should have the PC on the internet for installing.

The new way of installing the bootloder is that the package itself it not that big anymore as the Package manager collect PC data to find all drivers that is necessary for the current configuration. We can make an installer that would be possible to install on the PC but it will be very big as it need to take in to account all possible configurations. And even then we wont cover all scenarios.

We should have been more clear on this but I honestly thought that all had acces to the internet..

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
We can make an installer that would be possible to install on the PC but it will be very big as it need to take in to account all possible configurations. And even then we wont cover all scenarios.

We should have been more clear on this but I honestly thought that all had acces to the internet..
Hello Martin
As one that lives in a country with similar internet/4g/wifi coverage as Denmark...its easy to make that false presumption (all having acces to the Internet)
One of the areas where the boot loader is an invaluable tool is at larger competition events.
And although broadband internet might be available at home...even cell phone coverage can be marginal in the industrial/rural areas where such meetings can take place.

Now with most current PC/Laptops running with solid state 250G SSD (or having and external one plugged in via USB) I'd say that file size should no longer be an issue.
They would be if you had too download them via a shoddy 3G network with 10 teams breathing down your next to have "their" firmware updated a.s.a.p cause "they" need to race.
innocent.gif

So I guess a simple choice on whether you want to download the d'base or collect the files from "the cloud" would be a good option.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
83 Posts
As I knew that we do not have internet on the club's PC (it is not a laptop and we have no possibility of wifi) I downloaded (at home) the bootloader installer v.3 and the firmware on a pendrive thinking that this way I could update the entire Oxigen system . We did it with bootloader 2.13, which was installed on the PC and everything worked.

·
ParrotGod
9,349 Posts
@Martin, yes the window 7 laptop is on the internet.

Maybe on the win 7 machine I have to uninstall the previous version of the bootloader before installing the new one?

·
Registered
290 Posts
@GRUNZ Hmm ok that is weird, All the specs says it will work on win 7 SP1, but I haven't tested it my self, but actually I think Marcel have.

The NI Package Manager should take care of all the dependencies, and I have also the old one installed parallel so I dont think this is the problem.

I will try to se if NI have announced any problems with this..

61 - 77 of 77 Posts