Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
The Slot Car espionage guys have been working overtime again and have penetrated BWA's High Tech Anti Spyware arangements once more.

This is a protoype of a simple adjustable brass tube chassis that should work well for all hardbody/plastic model kit type bodies.

It will come in many different levels from Solder it together precut kit,right up to ready to roll finished chassis.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Banjo player,Who?????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Nice update on an old idea Al, superb craftsmanship as ever and just what the scratch built market needs to help others into it

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Great Al looks really good.

Now to go with it we just need a very narrow version with a smaller motor mount to accept a Beardog HO motor and some nice gears that fit on a Slot.it axle.

Regards

Alan

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Gees! I think I may still have a couple of the original '60's versions somewhere.I think they were then designed for both 16 and 36d motors and had a wire drop arm!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Love all that lovely metal and as neat a soldering job as you ever will see.

Particularly like the hydrauic ram arrangement designed to lengthen wheel base on the fast sections and pull in tight on the twisty bits, all on the fly and under continuous digital control. More sophisticated versions may be able to independently push pull on opposite chassis sides to enhance cornering still further! Spin off bonus is a guaranteed soft landing in smashes!

Seriously, lovely stuff Al!

Any guide as to when and how much?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Very nice piece of craftsmanship, Al!
Also, a good example of how simplicity and good design work together! Love that billet motor mount!

But.... in the banjo pic.... doesn't it look like Al is staring at the strings and wondering how they could be used for chassis parts?

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes,these are very much a throwback to the sixties,deffinately not what you would call High Performance.The intent is just to have a simple relatively inexpensive Brass/Metal chassis to allow easy conversion of just about any plastic kit/model body to a slot car with minimum fuss and bother.

I hope to have tha bare chassis for around 20.00us.And maybe complete ready to run for 35-40.00us.

I will also offer it as a bag of precut bits for those adventurous souls who think they know which end of a Soldering Iron goes where.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Prices sound very reasonable, and no doubt it would facilitate the use of many kit-type bodies for slot use. Also, I like the option of kit, bare, and complete forms - might get more people into the scratchbuilding arena. Good stuff!

QUOTE I will also offer it as a bag of precut bits for those adventurous souls who think they know which end of a Soldering Iron goes where.

When I used to build chassis on the dining room table, my wife often commented on which end should go where!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Sorry, but could not let this pass
QUOTE in the banjo pic.... doesn't it look like Al is staring at the strings and wondering how they could be used for chassis parts?
Concerned neighbours are looking in my window wondering whether to call the men in white coats to the hysterical geezer trying vainly to pick self off the floor!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE Any guide as to when and how much?

Any guide?

Looks great, but can't see it taking corners too well with nothing directing it. Is it a DIY job for the guide, or will this be added before production?

Also, will the ground clearance allow for smaller, modern wheels to be used. IE. if I wanted to convert a car from 70's onwards?

Cheers,

Lotus

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just in the developement stage right now,but it will have a guide post suitable for any standard 1/8" guide shaft such as the TSRF guide.

Lots of ground clearance,so you can easily put smaller Wheels/Tires on it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Geeze!!! a British car mechanic and a machinist with most of his fingers still intact to play the banjo. That's what is amazing Al!
Nice looking set up Al.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Larry,it is rather odd that I do indeed have all my various digits intact.

More pics in my original post of the almost finished and mounted chassis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts