SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I have had my Sony MVC-FD91 for a few years now and while I am happy with it's ability of long shots with it's x14 zoom and 0.8mp, see below taken from way back in the Grandstands at Le Mans,

and the fact that it records onto floppies ( I've heard all the jokes
)which is very handy.

I now feel it has limitations in close up macro work.

so my question is, which is the best camera to get for macro work, (I can keep my Sony for race meeting etc. so am not bothered about zoom) ? also I want easy transfer of the images to the PC?
Or as an alternative, what setting do I need on the Sony to get some better quality close up pictures?

Any ideas would be welcome, thanks.
Please make it simple as I am a complete camera dumbo

·
Registered
63 Posts
see if you can find a macro lens adaptor for this camera. sony are usually pretty good with accessories. best, gto junior

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
QUOTE Please make it simple as I am a complete camera dumbo

That may well be Phil, but you sure can choose subject matter .......

Regards

Alan

PS Sorry what was the question again?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Phil...
I have worked as a photographer professional for fifteen years (before dedicating me to the kitchen. ..) and I can assure you that your camera functions perfectly, never had seen some women so well photographed..

·
Registered
63 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 2 Mar 2005, 17:28)Nikon D70.

Expensive but excellent!

Gareth
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But definately the best around at the price! It beats my Olympus c8080 apparently!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got my new digital cam few months ago and I'm very very happy with it !!

is a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 , optical zoom x10 , 4Mega pixels
(technical datas HERE )

I made all Slot photos from my site (http://neoslot.tk) with this cam ... see the result !

You can find this cam on ebay , new , for about 250euro

·
Registered
3 Posts
ANy Digital Slr camer that you could change lens with is what I recommend.
Nikon D70. Canon Rebel, Olympus make a good one cna't think of the model but it has a self cleaning sensor that vibrate itself clean. Then you just buy a nice lens that has macro.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Just to put a few minds at rest - yes, of course this is Slot Forum!
But we accept that cameras are an important part of providing pictures and videos here. So this section of the site is happy to discuss the equipment that can help members to improve their weaponry and shooting techniques. There are some good camera topics deeper in the depths of the older material here and some helpful articles both here and in Slot Forum Resources.

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
I'm gonna have to go with the Nikon D70 too. I've had mine for nearly a year and you just can't beat it. The best part is you can use nearly all Nikon autofocus lenses. Get the kit with the lense included. You won't regret it.

I have a 512meg flash card in mine and bought a battery powered CD burner so I can have CDs burned on the spot. It's great for race photography...

and the closeups...

Greenman62

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
The best source that I have found for both camera reviews and useful forums (fora?) is:

dpreview

I am using a Sony F707 - 2 generations old in their "F" series and readily available very cheaply but with a great lens and excellent close-up capability. The pivoting body is also very useful for model shots, allowing you to hold the camera low and frame and focus from above. Its 5 mp resolution is sufficient to allow major cropping of the shot to get even "closer", especially for posted images intended for screen display.

That said, I am about to supplement (not supplant) it with a Canon 20D as soon as I finish disposing of my Leica gear. My major issue with the F707, and, I believe that this applies to most P/S digital cameras, is the lag time between shutter actuation and image capture - for me it makes action photography a sometimes thing.

BTW - did you need to send your camera in for repair for blown pixels after that le Mans shot?

EM

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
There's no lag with a D70... I believe it can snap of shots @ 4per second, you get constant focus and a nifty thing called "focus tracking" which anticipates where the subject will be when the shutter is actually open... great for getting action shots. This is a feature that first showed up on the 8008S film camera a number of years ago.

Greenman62

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I use a Canon EOS10D as it had good reviews and a professional photographer friend of mine also recommended it. I can use all the Canon EF lenses that I had with my previous film camera the Canon EOS-1, so it saved a lot of the usual extra cost when changing systems.

This is a motor racing picture taken recently, I find the camera copes well with action photography.

I also find it produces good model shots both with the macro and cropping the image.

David

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
QUOTE (phenderbenders @ 26 Mar 2005, 03:04)Olympus make a good one cna't think of the model but it has a self cleaning sensor that vibrate itself clean.

Olympus E-1. Marketed as a professional camera. It's part of the new 4/3rd system - an open system that has been agreed upon by Kodak, Fuji, Panasonic and others. Very innovative camera. It's going to be my next camera. I considered the Nikon D70 and D100, but have decided on the Olympus. Lenses are about half the size (it's not based on a 35mm film camera like the Nikons and Canons are).

Olympus announced two new zoom lenses both of which will function at f2.0 through their entire zoom range. If you know anything about photography you know that having a max aperture of f2.0 through the entire zoom range is no small feat. Nothing else like them has ever been on the market now or ever. The new 4/3rd design will allow Olympus to produce some incredible optics. I think this is just the beginning and what a sweet start it is!

Camera body goes for roughly $1,000 US.

Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts