SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Mark. It is Mark, isn't it?
I haven't owned one of these Rileys, but it sounds suspiciously like gear graunch to me. The mesh could be too hard even if there is some play in it. Or there may be a bit of flashing, damage or a flat spot on one of the teeth.

Roll the rear wheels forward gently by hand and see if there is any spots in the process is more difficult. This would indicate that there is an issue where the crown meets the pinion in this particular position. If so, take the crown out and look at the teeth under magnification. It only takes a little burr to make a big noise.

Embs

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
There is a difference between the offset crown and regular ones. I would assume the difference would be in the shape of the teeth required to complete a correct mesh at the varied angle created by the offset, but no doubt there is an engineer around here somewhere that would tell you for certain.

Anyway, if close inspection of the crown doesn't turn up any problems, you could also check the pinion for a burr or flash. Flash shouldn't be the case with the brass pinion though, but a scratch can be enough to cause noise if its in the wrong spot.

If you're still not having any luck locating the issue, I'd use a little toothpaste/Jiff/polishing compound, to bed in the mesh a little. Place a small amount on the gears. Turn the rear wheels by hand (in reverse tends to be the preference) until any stiffness is gone. Clean paste off. Lube and run as normal. If graunch is still annoying, repeat process.

Embs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts