SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,
This will be my first attempt to link pictures here, so bare with me.

Here's some pictures of my latest projects, a blue GT40, and a Mustang and Camaro made especially for a client in New Zealand. I have more pictures posted on my RTR pages of my website. Enjoy.

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nuro!
Thank you! I appreciate your compliments... thanks!
Well... the cars I make are made completely from scratch. There would be a lot to explain if I started from the begining. Is there anything in particular that you'd like me to describe?

Tim
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Iceman,
These are 1/24th scale.
The hood pins are the heads of sewing needles. The cables are something called "beading needles". They are braided metal (resembling cables) with a small loop on the end that works as the ring around the hood pin. Beading needles can be found in most craft stores that carry beads for making jewelry.
Just to add to this... the side rearview mirrors are cone-shapped earring studs, also from the craft store. The shaft of the earring stud is bent 90 degrees. a starter hole is made with a needle, then the earring is poked through the hole and hot-glued from the inside. They look almost exactly like actual rear view mirrors.

I make all my own decals, so some items that are difficult to paint, I make decals for, such as the wiper arms and blades, petrol fill (trunk of the Camaro), and the grillework behind the metal grille on the Mustang. Definitely gives it a 3-dimensional appearance and hightened depth perception. I use chrome film in my printer to make the wiper arms look metallic, plus I also make the "Camaro SS" logo's using the metallic film. I try to be creative as possible.

Tim
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE so bare with me
I try to be as creative as possible
Two separate quotes that seem to complement each other rather well!
Very nice work, Tim. The ingenuity of some people in locating tiny objects for adaptation to representations of full size items, just amazes me. Tremendous imagination AND modelling abilities.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Tim,

I've admired your handiwork on other boards...these are incredible. Any chance you'd shrink the Mustang down to 1/32? I'd pick one up in a heartbeat!

David

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<Big wide Grin... from ear to ear>

Thanks, David and Dickie!

The bodies are made from a material similar to polyester (PETG), but it's commercial name is "Visiform". I make the bodies from .03" thick material. It's strong, durable, and less likely to curl or yellow with age. I've been experimenting with PETG, it's slightly less expensive than Visiform, so I might switch over to that material sometime after I run out of Visiform sheets.

On the 1/32 scale front, I'm actually working on the release of a 1/32 scale adjustable chassis... soon to be out the week of November 24th. There are but a few 1/32 scale cars to use for molds... and I've been toying with the idea, but holding off until I receive adequate feedback-- just like what the two of you gave me. So... maybe in the not-so-distant future I may make a couple of 1/32 scale molds... we'll see.

Thanks!

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Tim

Great news about the 1/32nd stuff.

As far as bodies are concerned, there is the whole of the Airfix range of British 60's Sportscars. I'm sure these would be popular!.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Alan!
Airfix would be cool (and cheap)! However, the selection of (desireable) body styles is limited, at least what I've seen. I'm probably wrong... I would just love to find a fresh new stock of Porsche 917's and if there's other racing styles that people are interested in. But as I understand it, Airfix doesn't make the 917 anymore, nor the Ford GT, etc. All I've seen is a VW bug, an MG, and a convt. Jaguar.

There's another company out there that I just recently became aware of. NNOK of china makes 1/32 scale RC cars. I picked up a few of their cheaper conversions at Walgreens (a US Drug Emporium) a few days ago. They look fairly decent to make into slot cars.

Tim
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
I can't believe that Airfix have not seen the resurgence of 1:32nd slots.

Hell, if Hornby think they can flog some kits....

Maybe when the Airfix reps see the Scalextric kits on the shelves something might filter back to HQ.

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Tim

I just looked at your website and your chassis's do look very interesting.

Incidently the Airfix kits mentioned above, include MGB, E-Type Jag, TR4a, Healey Sprite, Triumph Herald, Aston Martin DB4, Ferrari 250LM, Porsche 917 etc,

Also Linberg have an MGA and TR3.

Matchbox have several kits and of course there are the new Hornby items.

Lots of resin shells are also available.

All of these seem taylor made for your chassis.

Are you going to have a UK Distributor for your chassis or do we get them from yourself?.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the info! Think I'll have to do some more research. Do you have a recommended dealer/distributor for the airfix kits?

On the topic of distribution...
At the moment, I'm just a sole proprietor of my products. However, I am interested in finding a few folks interested in distributing my 1/32 scale product. Do you have any suggestions?

On the Website...
Today I just updated my website pages with pictures and the new price list for my 1/32 scale products. There's a few minor glitches
I need to work out (a couple of pictures aren't displaying)... but other than that, you can see actual pictures of the new product and it's packaging options.

1/32 Web Pages

So... with that, I'm ready to accept 1/32 orders (a few days early--can't beat that!)

Thanks!

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Hi Tim

I've just ordered 2 No, kits from you. Can you let me know shipping cost please.

The Airfix kits are no longer available here but plentiful on Ebay. I understand you can still obtain kits in the States from BWA.

As far as distributors I don't really know. There are people on this Forum who have far more knowledge than myself regarding that side of things.

However, it might be useful to contact Monarch at [email protected] they seem to be distributors to the trade.

Also Pendle
[email protected]
and
Get Slotted
[email protected]
and
Slot City
[email protected]

In Australia the place that seems to stock most things Is :-

[email protected]

Hope this is some use to you.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Alan,
Got your order--THANK YOU!!!

And thanks for the list of dealers/distributors. Sometime in the next few days and weeks I'll contact them and see what they say.

Okay... think I asked this next question on the SCI message board some time ago, and the response was less than enthusiastic. I'm thinking the response on this message board might be more favorable.

There is a modeling dealer/distributor in the states, www.modelexpo.com that has a few Airfix models available. They are the MGB, The convertible Jaguar, and Aston Martin. They are very inexpensive. I'm wondering... would any of these make good slot cars? Let me rephrase that-- do any of these body styles apeal to you?
If I purchased some of these and included them in let's say... a 1/32 adjustable chassis kit--- would anyone buy them?

Thanks!
Tim
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

P.S. Been doing some research on Airfix models. Went up to their corporate sight during my search. Didn't see much in the way of production 1/32 scale cars. Hey Al... I'm sorry, but it didn't look like the Porsche 917 is in production anymore... along with a number of other cars we listed above. I signed up on their corporate-sponsored message board, and asked a question on race cars... we'll see if/how they respond. Maybe I'm wrong and they do... but they're not listing them (or list them someplace else)?

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi Tim
Let's see what I can add, somewhat disjointedly!

Monarch Lines are not distributors for Airfix kits - this is certain.
However, the owner knows her way around and probably does know who the distributor is.
A further factor is that there has been a very recent bereavement, so I have not been pestering for information for a little while.

I see Airfix car kits in one of the supermarkets I visit, but somewhat sporadically and in very small numbers. If I get into town today, I will see if they are present and make enquiries as to where they are sourced. I will also check with the two hobby shops to see what information they have. I am pretty sure I have seen some of their kis in one of them too, but I haven't visited for several months, maybe as much as a year.

My suspicion is that the kits are out of production, but that there is stash of them somewhere. I will try to find some more reliable information and post it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Tropi!,
Thanks so much for your help! I greatly appreciate that! I look forward to hear what you find out.

Best Regards,

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts