SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· One petunia in a field of onions
6,433 Posts
Is it just my imagination or is this a constant cycle. Folks complain about all manufacturing move offshore to China. But won't pay the prices required of items not manufactured in China.

Coopdevil, count the number of sponsors on your real racing livery. They are each entitled to licencing fees. And each have lawyers that need feeding. I'm not saying that explains the 5 quid difference, but it is a good start.

We have been spoiled for a long time with the price of goods manufactured in China. And yet people will still complain that they are paying too much.

If you don't like something or it's price, don't buy it. Or buy it second hand. Or wait until it's on special.

6,433 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 28 Jan 2012, 09:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What you are looking at now, and back over the last 3 years, is the single and one-and-only industry in the world that has increased its prices by 40-60% across all manufacturers apart from Carrera and Pioneer. Although 'China' often gets the blame (the easy option but maybe not the right one) in the global transnational economic mix, I fear it is a pure desire to make profit and test the consumer in regard to how much some people with money to burn will fork out for 4 inches of plastic in a perspex box.
I know we've been through this one time and time again, but....

a. One does not normally go into business with the aim of making a loss. One can not possibly grow or continue in business whilst making a loss. I can not possibly understand why the idea of making a profit is such an evil one.

b. I would like to see proof of you supposition that RRP prices have increased 40-60% in the last 3 years. I certainly have not seen it. I paid AUD 52.95 for my first stand alone Scalex car just over three years ago (Mercedes 300SLR) and AUD 49.95 for an SCX (Morgan Aero8). From the very same retailer a standard Scalex car is priced AUD 52 - 54 and an SCX AUD 49 - 50.

c. Scalex's RRP went down last year. It has gone up this year, but it has returned only to its previous mark.

d. Scalex's parent company Hornby is a multi-platform, multi-national company. They make toys for other disciplines as well. (Wonder if the train community go through the same quibble each year?) They do not thrive on Scalex car sales alone.

Sigh. I get suckered into this discussion each and every time. And I know I should not. But people really need to open their eyes and take some notice of the world around them.

fw14b that comment was uncalled for and rather pointless.

6,433 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 28 Jan 2012, 18:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I stick to (roughly) a £35 per car limit, on the whole. Having said that, the prices of most of the cars on my wish-list have crept over my limit, but likely my wife will be buying most of them for me...
Thank you for recognising that is what we do, generous souls that we are. Of our collection I believe His Lordship has purchased 3 cars (all Morgans for his collection). The remainder have been purchased by me. In typically womanly style, if HL sees a car and comments that he likes the look of it, eventually I will see to it that he has it. And then consider that it probably needs a running partner.

How many cars has the man in my life bought for me? None. Nada. Zip. Zero. How many have I bought for him? Let's see...30 odd at last count.

If I see a car I want i'll buy it (eventually) and a running mate for HL.

So. If anyone has a right to complain about the price of slot cars it is I, but I don't because I have some idea of life in the real world and what it takes to see things through from design to manufacture.

Sorry for rant but it's hot here and I feel better now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.