SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

So I've finally decided to design a proper track and raise it up on a proper table/layout...

Went down to the local Home Depot on Saturday... got some ply... had them cut it to size... brought it home and whipped up 3 decent size tables...

The full length of the track is 4.6m (15.4ft) long by 1.3m (4.2ft) wide at the right... and 2.2m (7.3ft) wide on the left side (bottom of the L).

I'm lucky since we have a backsplit house and we have two extremely large family rooms... this one is a basement family room that frankly only my son and his friends use to play... the wife and I don't spend any time down here so I figured I can confiscate less then 1/3 of the room for the layout...

So far the project cost has been $100 CDN for the plywood. $60 for the folding table legs. And about $12 for the screws. I wanted to have 3 tables with folding legs so that I can always take them down and store them in the cold room (the door being blocked by the tables). The cold room is just a large totally unfinished room under the front cement porch that is like a freezer in the winter and unbearably hot and humid in the summer so we basically keep it empty and never go into it ;-)

So here are the photos so far....

More updates as work continues :)

-Greg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Ron,

Ya... here's the plan... I'm pretty happy with the overall layout... may change a few pieces around but only replacing existing parts for others with no impact on the shape or length of the track...

Where you see no broken line on the straight track elements that's 2 carrera bridge pieces ... one piece starts the incline, the other levels it out... since I had the 4 pieces from a set I wanted to use them.

The right most curve is also a banked curve... i wanted to be sure I could let the legs out on the cars a bit... ;-)

Although this will be a semi-permanent layout I will still be building pit row buildings and scenery and such... should be fun :) I've gotten some tremendous ideas from the membership of this forum... we have some really brilliant members when it comes to this stuff :)

BTW Ron, your work is truly inspirational... frankly I don't have that much room for scenery but I'll do my best with what I have :) Personally I'd rather have more track length then trees on the layout ;-) But I'll find room for em... count on it ;-)

-Greg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joe... appreciate the kind words. Gonna do my best with it and only time will tell. I do have some interesting ideas I want to try that may work quite well in terms of scenery and such.

-Greg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys...

A bit of an update... firstly I still don't have all the track pieces I need especially pieces for the hard to reach areas so setting up the track at this point is out of the question. But it does not stop me from continuing work on other areas...

Firstly, I upholstered/covered the table top with some durable, but cheap, material...

Next I set up one section of the track so that I can get started on the scenery for that part...

This is the section...

I traced and cut out foam core and glued it to the same shape card board...

Painted on a bit of a connecting ashfalt with a bit of simulated sand. Then tapered the edges just a wee bit so that the insert is now perfectly smooth and level with the track...

Now time for some scenery... I wanted to build a hill with some trees and an interesting rock formation. I use foam packing material to build up the base, use an exacto knife to shape it roughly...

Then, added the trees and used DAS modelling clay to smooth everything out, but leaving the rock formation on top very rough...

After the clay has hardened I'll start with the grass, the smaller rocks and pebbles around the rock formation, etc...

Thanks for looking. As always comments, recommendations and suggestions are always welcome...

Best,

-Greg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very nice Greg. I like your setup. You must have a very understanding wife to be able to use a room like that. Are the landscape pieces going to be removable so you can take the track down and put it back up again if you have to? Are you able to race in the meantime are you down and out until you get some more track pieces? Again great looking layout. Have fun!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...

Cudak9... ya my wife is pretty good that way. Mind you this is just one of two huge family rooms that we have and this one just happens to be in our basement (it's a backsplit home so we have basically 5 levels in all). This room was basically a catch all... exercise equipment, my sons play room, library... LOL... just a hodge podge so I decided to confiscate a nice piece of it ;-)

Yes, the pieces are going to be modular so that I can always re-use them later if I want to change the track... but I'm still going for a nice permanent look. The modular pieces will have break points at parts that make sense... like connecting roads, walls, etc... I've got it all worked out in my mind just need to build it now :)

As for racing in the meantime... not really... I can set up on the table with my existing pieces but it would only get in the way of me making the templates for the scenery I need to build as I'm trying to replicate sections that will be part of the finished product. That said I don't have many of the pieces yet for the final track. Panther Hobbies is still waiting for their re-stock... hopefully I'll have everything in a week or two and then I can race and work on the scenery :)

Again, thanks for looking... love to get more input :)

-Greg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like what you've done with the space that you have. The 90 degree turn at the start of the straight looks a little awkward, might drive better if you use a gentler turn. You would also get more speed up going into the straight.
I hope you don't have to use the door that's blocked by the track.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey... ya the 90 degree corner after the start was a bit of a consideration... but we'll see how it races and frankly I really wanted to maximize the amount of track in the space and give it some character. In fact that first 90 degree corner is raised and in the middle will be a 3 story round tower with one way reflective glass... so it should be quite a focal point... at least that is how I picture it ;-)

As for the door in the back... we've been in this house for 7 years now, gone in there twice. It's basically a small cool room under the front cement porch and frankly we have never used it for anything. It's stiflingly hot in there in the summer and freezer like cold in the winter so we don't use it.

-Greg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha... ya would be nice to extend the room ... trouble is it's a very small space and the walls on all sides are actually concrete, 'cept for the door... /shrug. The basement was nicely finished when we bought the place... and I'm not a handy dude by any stretch so it'll have to be ;-)

-Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Greg,

What a great design.
I am also considering putting in a system of about the same dimensions and you have really helped. What kit did you start with? Digital 124 with Classic Legends or Custom Rods?

If you would share your track inventory list I would sure appreciate it. I was considering the Digital 124 kit since it comes with a larger power supply even though I would mainly run 1/32 cars. Any idea if it would be better to get a 1/32 set and upgrade the power supply separately. Hopefully I can post my progress as I go.

One other question for anyone out there. I can make the depth of my table anywhere from 4 to 5.5 feet. Is there an optimum from a reach point of view? Or from a track layout versatility point of view? It will be used by 8-16 year olds (and me too of course).

Thanks.

Don

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Don,

I actually bought the D124 Classic Legends set as it was the same price as the D132 GT set and you get the bonus inside and outside shoulders in the D124 sets... so that's about an $80 added value there. Now, I don't like the classic cars and I found at guy at my Local Hobby Shop who bought the D124 cars from me (for $60 a pop) and I just bought the GT D132 cars I wanted (for $45 a pop). Plus the more powerful power supply was a nice added feature as well in the D124 set, but should you upgrade the PS if you buy a D132.../shrug I really don't know, I guess it depends on how many cars you intend to run on track. But I'm new to this whole thing so someone with more experience should be able to give you more educated guidance on that front.

Send me your e-mail and I'll send you the track inventory although the pieces are labeled in German... I actually used Ultimate Racer 3.0 design software to design it. It's free, incredibly easy to use and supports Carrera D124/D132... I highly recommend downloading it and playing around with it... just print out and use my track design pic above and just rebuild it using your UR3.0 software... this way you can play around with the design ... heck maybe you can even design a better setup in the space that we can both use ;-)

In terms of table size... it all depends... the lower the 'table' the further you can reach over it. Also, can you actually put one hand down on top of the table to support yourself while you reach with another hand? If so your reach extends considerably... so there really isn't a right or wrong answer. I know that my upper left hand corner is a killer from a reach perspective as the table is at regular table height and not lower. So I'll have to buy one of those grabber arms from a local drug store... they have those for the elderly and such to increase their reach...

Take care...

-Greg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don you should make your table as wide as possible, especially when using the wider Carrera track. If your up against a wall and you make it too wide reaching over will become a chore. I was able to make a table that has access to all sides. It is an "L" with 5' width on one end and 4' on the other, but I wish I could widen the 4' end. As Greg has already stated, there is no right or wrong answer to this question, go with what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey... it's Ultimate Racer 3.0 and it comes with Carrera DIGITAL 132 library... I've downloaded it twice for two different pc's and it was always in the list...

http://www.uracerweb.org/

I didn't even have to download the additional track libraries... but if you can't find the D132 library then just download the library update...

-Greg

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.