SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Albion, feel free to contact me if you feel like the chip should be replaced.

HI,
I have two chips that do exactly the same as described in this post. The first was a problem from the outset and the second worked for a few days and then the problem showed up. I've taken a number of steps to try to rectify the problems. I can confirm that the ferrite man wires do NOT touch the motor casing at all. The car is a Scalextric Ford GT40 with a plastic chassis. The controller is SCP3. Chips in all the other cars work exactly as they should.

1. I've tried the chips in a different car (Slot.it Porsche) but the same problem occurs.
2. I tried re-soldering the base of the antenna, again no change.
3. I replaced the antenna with another wire - still the same.

I also had another chip where the LC LED never worked from day one. Attaching an external IR LED did not fix that problem either.

Armchair Racer in Sydney have replaced two of the chips. The LC problem chip and one of the others. The second (antenna related???) chip only failed yesterday.

I would really like to know what the main cause of these failures is likely to be, Would it be worthwhile returning them to Slot.it in Italy for investigation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
HI
Hmm, think I might have posted that last bit the wrong way - sorry.

I have two chips that do exactly the same as described in this post. The first was a problem from the outset and the second worked for a few days and then the problem showed up. I've taken a number of steps to try to rectify the problems. I can confirm that the ferrite man wires do NOT touch the motor casing at all. The car is a Scalextric Ford GT40 with a plastic chassis. The controller is SCP3. Chips in all the other cars work exactly as they should.

1. I've tried the chips in a different car (Slot.it Porsche) but the same problem occurs.
2. I tried re-soldering the base of the antenna, again no change.
3. I replaced the antenna with another wire - still the same.

I also had another chip where the LC LED never worked from day one. Attaching an external IR LED did not fix that problem either.

Armchair Racer in Sydney have replaced two of the chips. The LC problem chip and one of the others. The second (antenna related???) chip only failed yesterday.

I would really like to know what the main cause of these failures is likely to be, Would it be worthwhile returning them to Slot.it in Italy for investigation.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
Frank the best way forward is to return the chip to Armchair Racer: they will send to italy for inspection.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Grunz, the reason I asked about sending them back myself is that Armchair Racer didn't want them back. I'll call them and have a chat about it. I'm just a tad concerned at the failure rate which I don't believe is normal considering the usual good quality of the Slot.it products. It's now 3 failures from 10 B2 chips and 1 failure from 11 LC boards.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Hello Frank
I would agree, this failure rate is well above Slot.it standards. As I'm sure Slot.it handling and investigating the cause once they receive it back will be. Be it directly or via Armchair...
Just checking, firmware on B2 chips and SCP3 compatible? Managed to register the chips in the app? This will give Slot.it the chance to check at least firmware compatibility.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Tamar,
Good to hear from you. I can confirm that all the B2 chips and the SCP3 controller have been registered via the app and they all have the latest firmware. All the other cars are working perfectly.

I'm just waiting for the end of the lockdown in Melbourne so I can buy the last remaining electronic bits I need to complete the last 4 PCBs. All the Anti Collision systems and polarity switching for LC flippers and LC exits that I have installed so far are functioning as planned. In reality, what I've built is probably "old school" and there are no doubt electronics experts could do a lot better but at least driving is a lot more pleasurable without any dead spots on the track.

Cheers.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
I am very surprised that Armchair does not want them back. But with restrictions in place who knows they might have their good reasons for this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tuve el mismo problema pero en coche de plástico, funcionaba bien ya los dos días hacia lo mismo, estaba seguro q sería la antena. Pero todo estaba bien o al menos a simple vista parecía que todo estaba bien. La antena se veia bien soldada. Al final me puse en contacto con mi distribuidor, estos con slot.it y lo cambiaron.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Translated.
Seems there have been a few chips with this problem.

I had the same problem but in a plastic car, it worked well and after two days it did the same, I was sure it would be the antenna. But everything was fine or at least at first glance it seemed that everything was fine. The antenna looked well welded. In the end I contacted my dealer, these with slot.it and they changed it.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
To all our Spanish friends: could you please use google translate before posting here? Really appreciated, thank you/gracias!

Frank, any progress with your chips?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Grunz,
I emailed Armchair Racer last Friday explaining the situation. Waiting now to hear back from them.
Last time, they didn't want the chip returned. I've suggested it might be worthwhile sending the chips back to Slot.it for analysis. I've had two with the very short range problem and one where the IR LED didn't work.
We'll see what they say.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
but when they say they do not want them returned, does it mean that they are not taking responsibility?
I find this really strange because their customer service has been stellar - first hand personal experience.
Of course, the other option is to PM directly Maurizio (slot.it) so that you can send the chips directly to them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've had no issue with their service to date. With the LC chip and the first couple of B2 chips, they just replaced them (although I'm still waiting in the delivery from Italy) without any problem. They just said they didn't want them returned. I'll see what they say about this latest problem.

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
Oh, ok. If I read you correctly they are replacing the chips sending you some new ones but they do not want the defective returned...

·
ParrotGod
9,270 Posts
That is very good customer care in my book...but I think getting the chips to slot.it might be more beneficial for the community.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts