Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

If we were to run another night at Farnham, which night would suit people best?

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Slik..

Monday......

Get me away from Emmerdale / Corrie / Eastenders / Bill .......falls asleep amoungst the derf of tripe......

Wakes...

Yes, Monday is best!!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Monday too for me. But at the moment I can only make one night a week so I prefer to stick with Wednesday.

Adrian

·
Registered
166 Posts
It would have to be either Thursday or Friday for me.
I have had Wednesdays where I've endured over-running meetings at work and its then been a rush to get home, neck down some food and rush straight back out to get to the club.
Having another club night Thursday or Friday would still enable me to attend that week.

Alec.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi there

Thursdays would be a no no for me and i suspect Jim (Bowlextric and Home farm on Thursdays).

Monday would be OK, Friday's very unlikely.

Gareth

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
I could manage a Monday night INSTEAD OF a Wednesday - but due to swimming commitments it could only be one of the two - the rest of the week is no good especially Friday.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thursday...

Precisely because there would be no Home Farm crowd!

Mondays and Tuesdays are college nights, so having one night at home before again 'doing my own thing' is more acceptable than 3 nights on the trot.

·
Registered
243 Posts
We might need to have a second night...

I sold some cars to a bloke in Farnham, and so have invited him down to a club night. As however the club now attracts 10 or more members most nights, and the practical limit seems to be 12, then we might need a second night, just to allow some members some competitive track time once a week!

Bit of a change for the better than a few years ago when one club night there there would only be 3 or 4 of us...

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE I sold some cars to a bloke in Farnham, and so have invited him down to a club night
You don't want to go doing silly things like that!
Learn from my mistake - I once sold some cars to a bloke in Farnham and invited him along - and now we have to endure Jexy1 every week!!!

You are correct though, it is a far cry from a couple of years ago. One particular race night there was just myself and j-c. We got some good scores though, probably our best ever - although they weren't counted as valid for the end of season scores.

On a more practical note, if we are to have a second club night, what are peoples' thoughts for the scoring system?
It was suggested during one club night a few weeks back that we could adapt it to a league system. Does it need changing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
tuesday or thursday would be preferable

but one of the draws of the club is racing against the better racers and the good mix of 'characters'
there is a danger if you make two divisions that we end up like the premiership and division whatitsname
you get promoted, hammered and relegated in quick order for another long scrape out of the carp division no one wants to be in
who wants to be wolves !!!!

Paul

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Problem with having two divisions on separate nights with promotion and demotion between the two - is that if you can't make the night you are demoted or promoted to when can you race?

As we can't yet find a second night that we can all make it on - why not have parallel leagues running or even run separate sorts of events - like endurance and team type things?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rather than a Div.1 and a Div.2 with promotion and relegation, my thoughts are that we could keep using the existing system but applied to each night separately. If each member were to nominate their preferred night at the start of the quarter, all their scores will be counted from their attendance on 'their' night.
They would also be able to attend the 'other' night if their situation dictates (or indeed if they want to attend both nights) but their score from the 'other' night doesn't count towards their end of season total.

Any other ideas?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I am undoubtedly being thick, but how do you balance the scores if there are more people on one night than the other (i.e. it's easier to get a better score)? I say this after a lifetime of watching England get an easy qualifying group at the World Cup while Scotland perennially gets Brazil and Holland!

Other ideas;

ask if we can remove that wall at the end, the one with the fire escape behind it. That would give more seating/box room.

Run six classes per night

Run one night as club/lane cars - faster turnaround between races

Raise the price - standard supply & demand response

Close membership at an agree capacity linked to pre-payment of quarterly fees by existing members. Guests only by prior arrangement (easy with e-mail), waiting list for new members. Works for golf courses and tennis clubs

Discourage new members by being verbally abusive and farting a lot. No wait, we've tried that and not only doesn't it work, it seems to attract more!

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Mr Nerfee, that suggestion will not work.

Let us theoretically presume you and three other people select Tuesday as "your night". In your best class you could be assured of 16 points.

Now if three better racers than you who had chosen Wednesday all decided to turn up on Tuesday then your points for your best classes would in fact be just 4.

By mixing the nights for the same classes would skew the results terribly.

Keep the classes separate and if need be eliminate the need for leagues on the "extra" night or if the second or third night becomes popular treat them as separate but parallel contests.

In a similar way as visiting other club locations we could run a number of separate instances of Farnham on different days.

Eliminating practise laps - I KNOW I'm an offender - would also speed things up.

Making room - move the filing cabinet to the corner of the room where the NSCC empty boxes are and put in some small shelves where the filing cabinet is for boxes.

Starting on time at either 8.15 or when 8 or whatever determined number turn up. If members turn up later then they score 4 for each class they miss. This way we actually get the chance to race the classes that have been chosen as it can be a shame if your favourite class is number 8 and because "so and so" is on their way we don't start until 8.20 and 12 people have problems all racing.

Have a formula for reducing the number of laps if a certain number of people turn up - ie 10 laps for 8 people, 8 laps for 10 and 7 laps for 12.

I don't think the Club has sufficient cars for an all night club provided cars - and lane cars can be an issue if one doesn't want someone else to use your car.

Again all ideas can be discussed and deliberated apres racing in the "Snug" -

1 - 17 of 17 Posts