SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Why not try one of the Fly range? Polarity switch already fitted as standard, and available in home or professional versions with braking and either 25, 45 or 60 Ohms.

Aaron

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
The advantage of PM and other electronic over the Fly ones are the same as with Parma and the like, you only need one and it covers anything you are likely to race ( wing cars and HO aside)

PMs are also lighter and IMHO more comfortable than Fly and Parma. However, that said I just started using an NSR electronic one - based on a Parma Pro so will let you know how I get on with it.
So far the features work well, just needs alot of practice and testing.

I also have two PMs and need the polarity switches mentioned above, for the exact reasons given above!
- anyone got a couple lying about they would sell?

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Lots of choice and lots of opinions - be good to see Swiss's controller article (I realise Swiss you only have a few things competing for your time at the mo!!) which would give a balanced view on most of the current easily obtained brands.

However my opinion would be: Prof Motor - go for one with a polarity reversing switch and 18 of their little brass contacts (gives a smoother response through the power range compared to the basic controllers whihc have 12 brass contact thingies).

Matt

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I've had a few enquiries about the spare controllers I have so I will post the details here so I don't have to do email replies, as I am really busy organising the Orpington swapmeet for tommorrow.

"I have three of them, all are fitted with Cannon XLR plugs. I use these and then make up connecting leads with XLR sockets and various plugs so you can use them anywhere and on any circuit. (I have about six different ones now !!)
I don't think that PM does the exact ones anymore, but two of them are the top of the range,
with Variable Sensitivity, Variable Brakes, Dual Polarity Operation with reversing switch, one of these is in red and the other clear plastic.
The red one has two rows of diodes and the clear one three, most similar in the current range is the PMTR2052 but neither of mine have the heat sink on the diodes. These are priced at $159.95 I'll take $80 each for them or $150 the pair.
The other one I have just has the reverse polarity switch, I cannot see anything on the Proffessors site that compares, but I guess it must be around the $60 area retail.. I will probably keep this one as a basic spare controller."

First email received with a firm order gets them! and I do want to keep the cheaper one.

G

·
I tried one of the Professor Motor controllers, it was supposed to be the only controller i needed, i only tried it out once at the club, i wasn't impressed, now i use the Fly pro' controllers, my 25ohm is brilliant, i did however had to send my 45 back, another one is on it's way from Gaugemaster, but i find them so much better than the cheap and chearful Parma controllers.

·
Registered
800 Posts
but i find them so much better than the cheap and chearful Parma controllers.

Parma makes two major levels of resistor controllers, if I remember correctly. If you buy the econo controller then don't expect much. Any controller you buy that uses a wound resistor needs to have a big winding. Those pencil thin resistors don't last under heavy use. My Parma Turbos were about $65 or $70 (USD) each disassembled including the options I needed. Not cheap at all. I wonder if people are using the econo controllers and thinking "It's a Parma"? There is absolutely no comparison between the econo and the turbo. There aren't even any interchangable parts.

I use a PM controller now and all my Parmas are out on loan to newbies, ball bearing triggers, Daytona resistors and all
I even gave away all my spare resistors. I think I was carrying 5, 15, 25, 35 and 45 ohm controllers with me all the time. Now I just carry one PM controller. Loads easier for those of us that race many different cars and it sure takes up a lot less space in the old pit box.

I keep thinking I had a few other size resistors too, and some spare parts...hmmm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.