SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys - whats your experience of the scaly 30ohm controllers ?

any better than the standard units - i am getting fed up with the standard units as running FLY's means that all the control is in the last 30% of the trigger

am i better of buying some Parma/Red Fox type units

awaiting your comments/experience

regards - TB

·
Matt Tucker
3,699 Posts
Red Fox / Parma / Professor Motor are all better than standard Scaly ones even the 'uprated' 60 ohm controllers. Scaly announced new improved controllers that you identify due to their gold coloured screws but I can't remember what they were upgraded to. Anyway....

If you don't mind spending £40+ for one controller then I advise you to check out Professor Motor (diff to source in Euroland but direct from US is no prob) or Parma/Red Fox electronic controllers (Pendle say they will be getting these in soon) . These will work beautifully with ALL your cars from the 5 magnets beasts to the Ninco classics. I've bought 1 basic PM controller (£40 incl p&p) and I rate it very highly. You can go high end with adjustable sensitivity, adjustable brakes etc, but costs will go up to £75 for one controller.

If you can't justify that amount then you need to choose a controller(s) that is based on a resistor with lower ohm ratings. Parma / Red Fox both fit this bill with the bonus that you can change just the resistor in both of these. They retail at £20-£30 each.

I've got 2x Parma economies with 45 ohm ratings which is fine for most cars but when I feel I need some high powered magnet wall denting racing I swap the resistors to 25 ohm.

Basically if you decide to upgrade your controllers and you run a range of cars from magnet to non-magnet then I'd advise a 45 ohm controller but if you predominantly use magnets go for a 25 ohm. You can always buy a resistor separately with the diff ohm ratings and swap them round.

These controllers will give your cars a new lease of life
Matt

·
Registered
714 Posts
Scaley 30 ohm controllers?
The only Scalextric ones of that rating that I know of were the Protecs.
Or have I missed something?
Certainly, 30 ohms is far more suitable for heavy magnet cars as well as for higher consumption motors.
Just a passing comment that, imho, £20-£30 is FAR too much money for any pure resistance controller and better value would be had from the little extra required to buy a Professor Motor. Sure, a little more expensive again, but well worth it in this case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are right mecoprop - it's some of the old protec units i have looked at

mainly because they are cheap (£12 each) but if they are no real improvement over the standard 70ohm units i will pass on them

i have never found anyone who has used/got the protec units - somebody must have tried them ?

TB

·
Matt Tucker
3,699 Posts
BSN
Been using my Basic PM for 9 months and that is the only controller I use for all my cars. No problems yet, wiper is ultra smooth and the wiper has has always contacting very well with all the diodes. I clean the diodes (as I do my resistor based parmas) with a cotton wool bud with a bit of cassette tape head clears (ethanol) and apply a little drop of light oil on them and in the trigger mechaism - do this every couple of months.

PM also give very good back up support, responding to emails very quickly (accounting for time diff).

Highly recomended and I'm currently saving to buy a high end model for my club racing.

Anyone got a reliable UK source?

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.