Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys - whats your experience of the scaly 30ohm controllers ?

any better than the standard units - i am getting fed up with the standard units as running FLY's means that all the control is in the last 30% of the trigger

am i better of buying some Parma/Red Fox type units

awaiting your comments/experience

regards - TB

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Red Fox / Parma / Professor Motor are all better than standard Scaly ones even the 'uprated' 60 ohm controllers. Scaly announced new improved controllers that you identify due to their gold coloured screws but I can't remember what they were upgraded to. Anyway....

If you don't mind spending £40+ for one controller then I advise you to check out Professor Motor (diff to source in Euroland but direct from US is no prob) or Parma/Red Fox electronic controllers (Pendle say they will be getting these in soon) . These will work beautifully with ALL your cars from the 5 magnets beasts to the Ninco classics. I've bought 1 basic PM controller (£40 incl p&p) and I rate it very highly. You can go high end with adjustable sensitivity, adjustable brakes etc, but costs will go up to £75 for one controller.

If you can't justify that amount then you need to choose a controller(s) that is based on a resistor with lower ohm ratings. Parma / Red Fox both fit this bill with the bonus that you can change just the resistor in both of these. They retail at £20-£30 each.

I've got 2x Parma economies with 45 ohm ratings which is fine for most cars but when I feel I need some high powered magnet wall denting racing I swap the resistors to 25 ohm.

Basically if you decide to upgrade your controllers and you run a range of cars from magnet to non-magnet then I'd advise a 45 ohm controller but if you predominantly use magnets go for a 25 ohm. You can always buy a resistor separately with the diff ohm ratings and swap them round.

These controllers will give your cars a new lease of life
Matt

·
Registered
714 Posts
Scaley 30 ohm controllers?
The only Scalextric ones of that rating that I know of were the Protecs.
Or have I missed something?
Certainly, 30 ohms is far more suitable for heavy magnet cars as well as for higher consumption motors.
Just a passing comment that, imho, £20-£30 is FAR too much money for any pure resistance controller and better value would be had from the little extra required to buy a Professor Motor. Sure, a little more expensive again, but well worth it in this case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are right mecoprop - it's some of the old protec units i have looked at

mainly because they are cheap (£12 each) but if they are no real improvement over the standard 70ohm units i will pass on them

i have never found anyone who has used/got the protec units - somebody must have tried them ?

TB

·
John
1,340 Posts
Matt,

Having only looked at the basic PM model,
how do they run?
are they durable? more precisely how fast do the button connections seem to wear?
and would you buy from them again?

BSN

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
BSN
Been using my Basic PM for 9 months and that is the only controller I use for all my cars. No problems yet, wiper is ultra smooth and the wiper has has always contacting very well with all the diodes. I clean the diodes (as I do my resistor based parmas) with a cotton wool bud with a bit of cassette tape head clears (ethanol) and apply a little drop of light oil on them and in the trigger mechaism - do this every couple of months.

PM also give very good back up support, responding to emails very quickly (accounting for time diff).

Highly recomended and I'm currently saving to buy a high end model for my club racing.

Anyone got a reliable UK source?

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts