SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning a new Scalextric Digital layout (2-lane with APB). My track is 300 cms x 190 cms. My pit lane is already defined but i would like to have your advices on 2 layout projects

You can find both circuits at My Circuits

Please tell me which one do you prefer (crcuit1 or circuit2) and what can be improved ? suggestions ?

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I like the looks of circuit 1 better. However, interested to know how heavily you are going to use the pace car feature. I have a few tight corners myself and it really harms the speed/capability of the pacer cars. Unless you have PBPro (I think) the maximum speed your pacers can go is their max speed through the slowest corner.

Good luck,

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
I also like the first one better.
As for Pace cars, in any case you'll need them to be better than the car you drive. The car I use for pacer is a slot.it nissan with magnet and silicone tires. No problem on the R1 on my track. ;-)
And the APB is just as, or more capable than the PB-Pro for recorded lap pace cars. It's the software that does the work.

·
Mark Wain
478 Posts
First track for me, but if your going to ever run the track analogue, it looks like you would need another cross over?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I try both version and i agree with you that i prefer circuit 1 BUT my feeling is that the second one offers more speed and braking possibilities.
I had the impression that the first one was slower and did not offer long straights.

What's your feelings about this ? Should I run magless on the first circuit ?

Thanks.

Phil

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
Since you usually run many many laps, it's more important for the lap to have variety and interest. If you focus on one facet of a track (e.g. speed, or technical turns), you'll end up being bored. One good, long straight, as long as possible, then a variety of turns to bring it back around, is the way to go. With the first one, you have that. With the second, you sacrifice flow and variety for more high speed straight sections.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes I would also go with track 1. I have found when using pace cars it helps to make the hairpin bend a little less tight ie R2,R1,R1,R2. GO magless but keep the magnets in the pace cars, that then gives you a challenge.

·
Mark Wain
478 Posts
Looking good! Can you reach all areas of the track? From experience if one side it against a wall, its a right pain! I have to use grabbers and it really slows down racing. Also if you are going to do scenery its a pain in the a#$%

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
track looks great but needs a few tweaks if you are planning to use pace cars..

Side swipes and cross overs dont mix well when it comes to using pace cars unless your planning on only running one at a time or 2 in the same lane,they will collide at these points and mess the flow of the racing up..

Also dont forget you will need to mod the clc if you want to use them in analouge mode at all and the pit entrance should ideally be moved along the main straight by a full straight to allow the cars to straighten up properly and hit the senser every time,a drifting car will miss otherwise especially important if your running magless.

Good luck with the build.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi phil
If you are going to have 2 or more racers imo you need 2 lanes in the pits .
So you would need to move the entry round the corner.
regards ade.

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
double-lane pits are nice, but single lane is quite functional with 6 cars. Part of the racing tactic becomes when to pit, knowing you might get stuck behind someone taking a full tank when you only want to splash and dash.

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
No, you pull in and take as much fuel as you need, and sometimes that means you take on more than you need, or wait behind someone else. It's not all that bad, really.
My point is that it can certainly be done, and that a 2 lane pit is not mandatory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree, having a single lane pit adds to the fun and strategy.

Most of my layouts are 12ftx4ft and I do not really have the room for a double lane pit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like your circut 1 better too, I also really like circut 3 posted by someone above,

my thoughts,

ncng

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (Digital Jester @ 3 Jun 2012, 17:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most of my layouts are 12ftx4ft and I do not really have the room for a double lane pit.
More than one 4x12 layout? Please let us see them.
I am also working on a 4x12 layout and would be interested in what plans you are considering/have considered.
Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi everybody,

I would like to thank you for your help on designing my Scalextric Digital layout. I received many advices and i can't wait to let you show the final version.

The track is 12,75 meters long with a long straight and technical corners but the circuit is not slow at all. Now it's time for me to build this circuit and add a scenery as well as removing the magnets of my car and try to beat pacer cars (with magnets).

Thanks again!

Here it is!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts