SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all. I've been a fan of slot car, specifically scalextrix, but have only recently bought my own set (I told the wife it was for the kids but we all know better!). It is the Microscalextrix mini championship set.

I'm having trouble with one of the cars stopping on some sections of the track - it must be the car as the other car performs with no problems on either side of the track and with either controller. Any tips for a newbie? I'll also see what my search-fu can unearth but any guidance from the illuminati will be gratefully received.

Anyway, the kids, my wife and I are having great fun with it and I'm hoping to build something more permanent in the loft with a full scale set in years to come. My first introduction to slot car was at a friend of a friends house who had Brands Hatch in his loft! It was massive fun but a real pig if you came off on one of the far corners.

Dave

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Welcome.

Take the bodies off, and make sure the rear axle runs free and is meshing nicely. Run the car on a 9V battery to see if it runs smoothly.

If it is none of those things then it is probably the braids. This is something Hornby carried over from their 1/32nd designs but it does not really work on the thin HO rails. You will have to tweak them to get good contact.

Something that may help you in the future, think about editing your profile to show a location. You can be somewhat vague, you don't have to put your Long/Lat coordinates
- but you never know when a neck of the woods reveal will help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks montoya1, I've had a fiddle and it seems to have been a braids problem. Squashing them and bending them away from the base has done the trick. I've added my location as well. I know there is a club in Bristol which I may have to investigate.

Dave

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Dave, glad it worked out. You know what to look for in future.

It was strange the way Hornby went. The first chassis they did in HO was brilliant, although it did lack a bit in quality control compared to the current chassis. It was actually made by a defunct US comppany called Marchon, I was told that Hornby bought them out and they even went to the trouble of making a F1 version of the chassis themselves. They then changed the design, which could not of been cheap, to something slower and more fiddly to get working with HO rail, that kept the downside of being a rather bulky chassis compared to others.

Meanwhile, as recently as Sunday last, the old chassis continues to rack up race wins at the national and club meetings.

Quite a few HO guys in your area, so that is good if you want to see what else is out there in the small scale - checking out the videos on eahorc.com would be a good start!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts