SlotForum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have had a few enquiries as to the difference between the old and new Vipers. Apart from the overall body modifications, the main differences are in the running gear and chassis - hopefully I have detailed them all here.

The new Fly Viper has come complete with a re-designed chassis, and it must be noted that only the newer vipers will take the new chassis, as can be seen above.
Firstly, lets take a look at the overall shape. As you can see, the rear of the chassis is now straight with the rear bodywork curving under to meet it. Also, on the old design you will notice the large magnet holder. This has been the biggest problem over the years as being so low meant that it will catch on the slightest of non-flat connections in plexitrack, causing the car to stop just for a split second and putting extra strain on the crownwheel. Eventually the crown wheel will simply shred its teeth of the driveshaft will pop out of its mounting. On the new design, this area is flatter and so the whole chassis has a slightly higher ride height. The magnet is now fitted from the inside of the model and can easily be removed if required. The guide now sits in a small recess, and has a greater degree of turn than the original models.

The rear of the chassis is now longer and does not curve upward in the same way as the older one. This will help prevent de-slotting. The older design also had the side exhaust outlets moulded to it and this was an integral part of the chassis fixing to the body. On the newer cars, the exhaust ports are moulded onto the body itself. The new chassis is also designed to take the new racing motors, and the motor sits further back, helping with the overall balance of the car and helps prevent rear end slide. This also gives more stability to the drive shaft and drive shaft mount in the chassis itself.

Lastly, the new chassis has a slightly narrower and slightly shorter wheelbase, making the model more accurate and nearer the original real car.

Hope this helps!

Aaron

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You the man, Aaron!

Thanks for taking the time to do that mini review. And it was worth it, I think you have sold at least one more because of it!

It looks like it has potential, I can't wait to see one running around.

McLaren

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Aaron, Great input, thanks !

The bad news : you can use a new chassis on the older model. Too bad, really.

My remaining question is : would it be feasible to put a full interior into the body of the older model ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts