SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a flurry of aftermarket components in Italy, and I believe some of them are worth a plug - of course I'm terminally incapable of posting pictures, so I've asked Russell to help me out

We start with MB : this is the guy making those fabulous CNC machined spoked rims (exclusively sold by Bulgari) - this time he's introducing 3/32" axle ball (or possibly needle ?) bearings
We've seen this before, but to my knowledge it's the first time that ball bearings are small enough to directly replace conventional bushings
Ninco or Scalextric have the bearings offset from the chassis mounting point, which IMO is a sure recipe for misalignment under load
And, at 12.50 Euros per pair, they are not obscenely priced

Next, two products from NSR : this is the irrepressible Salvatore Noviello of IMCA fame, whose "Magnetic" tires are among the best for plastic tracks - if not the longer lasting (the name is just hype, Italy being blessedly magnet-free)

He's introducing 3/32" bronze bushings where the contact area is just 1.5 mm wide - the other part of the bushing is wider, and that's where lubricant is centrifuged out and then gradually drips down to the axle (or so the theory goes)

But the really intriguing novelty is his new line of "Air" rims - you have to look at the picture to understand, he creates a gap/air chamber between the rim and the middle section of the tire
Before you ask, he claims that tires are not cut by the narrow ridges, and that this even works without gluing them to the rims
Quite frankly, if this came from anybody else I'd be skeptical, but the guy's really an expert and has a reputation - so I'll be closely watching the track results

Beppe

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Expensive!

BBS 'Gold' MB001A/S Euro 20.50
BBS 'Silver' MB001P/S Euro 22.00

Available from Slot Bazar.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
While the wheels and the rest do look very pretty, I am much more interested in the ball-races. A straight replacement for plastic bushings is a very attractive proposition.

Although the ball-races attract me, I find myself wondering what size of a market there can be for these miniature marvels. I'd take a guess they are already in production for some purpose other than slot cars. The price is pretty good - only a little more than the Ninco versions. I would also be fascinated to see just how such tiny contraptions are manufactured. in practice. I love precision miniature engineering, almost no matter what it's purpose - I just like to know how things work.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Russell or anyone else

the wheels look great..... price is a bit steep but for some project cars or proxy races they might be worth the money..... But what tires fit them?? Are they the same size as say the slot-it wheels??

Chris...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
OOH! Lovely wheels and bearings. More money needed!! Ack!

Air rims aren't exactly new are they? Weren't they being made in the 60's? Been looking at some good slot racing books courtesy of Slot Tech

Mark.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About tires fitting MB rims, I've asked him

QUOTE What advantage would there be in running air rims?

that's what I'd like to know too - I'm just hoping this is not like comm timing, where everybody knows that it works, but nobody knows why !!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Regarding Air rims from NSR, I have understand that you can use all the common tyres on the market and, as you can see from the photo, when an air chamber is created in the center of the rim/tyre assembly, then the centrifugal force will rise the center of the tyre in the straights, reducing the area in contact with the track, and so enhancing speed. Tyres not require gluing.
Good results will follow this theory?
They claim a reduction of 2/10 sec for lap ( from 7 sec/lap onward ).
I will try them as soon as possible.
I think MB rims will use also all the tyres on the market.
Ciao

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Not sure how having a groove in the rib would affect the centrifugal force in the Tire.Since they are not attatched(unless glued)to the wheel,in either case,the tire still expands at high RPM.I think it would only be an advantage with really long straights where you can keep the wheel revs up.

The only reason I can see for incresed performance would be reducing the centripital mass of the Wheel itself,allowing it to accellerate quicker.This would be an advantage on tight twisty tracks and shorter straights.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
in theory i guess the air in the gap will be able to expand better than the 'vacuum' when there is no gap, allowing the inside wall of the tyre to move with centripetal force. What practical difference this makes i dont know, and agree the mass of the wheel probably makes a bigger difference

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Rotating mass is a definite. Big tyres are damned heavy. Works for you in braking as well as acceleration - it will decelerate a little faster too.
But also there can be the possibility of absorbing minor bumps and blips in the track surface, if they exist.

The problem with tyre expansion is that it can take place under wheelspin when the car isn't actually moving fast, so reducing its footprint in those circumstances would be far from helpful.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the reply from MB : their rims are a direct replacement for Ninco's, typical tire dimensions are 19 x 10 front and 20.5 x 11.5 rear

Depending on model, each rim requires between 5 and 8 minutes of CNC milling !

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Italy (read Slot.it , NSR and also MB ) is religiously 3/32" - not like the Spanish

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I might try gluing the tyres onto the air rims and injecting oil or petrol into the gap, not only will this have more mass (and therefore pull the tyre out futher) but it will also keep the tyre nice and soft and clean.
I don't think this would affect acceleration of deceleration as the liquid would remain almost still while the wheel and tyre moved around it.
Can anyone think why this wouldn't work?

Lotus

·
Registered
714 Posts
Afraid I can, Lotus!
It's great to see imaginitive thinking,

but
The extra mass of liquid would, to some extent, cancel the weight saving of a hollow tire - it WOULD affect acceleration and deceleration.
Oil or petrol would almost certainly unglue the glue.
It's highly likely that the additive would, invisbly, dissolve the tire material, from the inside, to the point of rupture

But, in spite of my reservations, I'd still love to see you testing it out!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yet more realism! Our little cars can now leave oil slicks on the track when they break down

All marshall now have to be equipped with small packets of cement

It's good bouncing ideas around on here though.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
NSR has only followed in the tracks of MRRC which in 1966, offered exactly the same "air" rims and tires. But they might have been instead inspired to Salvatore, Italian exclusive importer of the TSRF line, by the recent TSRF "HPF" wheels:

In any case (his and ours), I can guarantee that these tires work pretty well. A stock TSRF32 car fitted with a second magnet in one of the three available pockets currently owns the track record at the Buena Park raceway's 120' Carrera layout, possibly the world's fastest such track. Specially built, ultra lightweight, hyper-magnet cars are still 2/10th away...
Also Italy is NOT exclusively 1/32 scale as NSR has sold several hundreds of the TSRF24 chassis and both Plafit, Sakatsu and Parma are selling products there.
Regards,

Mr. Pea

1 - 20 of 23 Posts