SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New (older) guy here.

My wife and I have moved into an apartment while our retirement (hoping to retire next year) home gets built. The real estate market here is super-hot and our builder will break ground on our new home next month, for a November completion date. In the meantime, I’m looking for something to do in the apartment that I can carry over into the new house.

I have spent the last couple of days on-line, and think I want to buy a digital 1:32 set with wireless controllers. From my readings, it seems that the two larger players in the U.S. market are Carrera and Scalextric. Given that I want to keep the layout in our new house at 4 ½ - 5 ft wide (can do 12 or 14 ft long), I’m thinking about getting a Scalextric ARC PRO Platinum set, maybe the Scalextric ARC PRO Platinum GT Digital 30-Foot 1/32 Slot Car Track Set with 4 Cars. The set includes the Aston Martin Vantage GT3, Ford Mustang GT4, Mercedes-AMG GT3, and Bentley Continental GT3 race cars.

Any cons (aside from price) with this type of set that I, as a beginner, should be aware of?

Do I correctly understand that the track is a mixture of regular Scalextric track and special digital track?

When you buy cars Scalextric cars separately, can they all be upgraded with the digital chip? Are working lights a function of the digital chip?

I’m sure I will have lots of questions,

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim .
Yes scalextric digital track is regular track (sport track) the digital bit is the lane change pieces of track and the powerbase.
Yes cars bought separately can be digitised, they don’t necessarily need to be scalectric, but if you are starting off with scalextric it’s an easier path. Look for cars that have the DPR hatch if you don’t want to use a soldering iron.
Generally lights work independently from the chip.

Alternatively you may also consider getting 2 wireless controllers (if there is only the 2 of you going to use the equipment) and some compatable wireless car chips. Then buy some slightly better cars like Slot.it.
these cars come with better tyres, better gears (metal), aluminium rear wheels plus a better chassis.
For track just buy a large analog pack and add some lanechangers. The overall cost may be the same but you have a better starting point especially if you become slightly addicted like some of us.

·
ParrotGod
7,809 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the digital madness.
I totally agree with Drifter's comments above.
When you start buying track makes sure to get R3 and R4 curves and mix the radii when you create your corners.
Do not buy any squeeze or analog cross-over because they do not add to your digital racing - those are good for analog racing if people want to make cars on different lanes to interact with each other.
With digital, you will have plenty of interaction.
When you design your layout think more about the flow than the amount of track you can cram in the space you have.
Also, get inner and outside borders to let car drift - useful later when you will go magless. ;-)
With scalex you will need to have a device capable of running their app to have access to lap counting and race modes (and other functions).
There is also a third-party app, MagicApp, that is more advanced.

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,033 Posts
Welcome to the slot community.
You don't note your location (city/state) in your post.
I'd recommend:

1. Try to find a club of like minded group. Visit, observe, chat, learn...
2. Come along to the zoom based "worldwide slot car chat" (typically on wednesdays). There is some good digital expertise to tap on there, along with guys from other aspects of the hobby. If you are shy, you can leave your camera and microphone off and just be a passive observer.
3. Investigate other chat forums. This is not the only one.
4. Youtube is choc full of slot car racing stuff. If you want to see how extreme digital slot racing can become, search for 24 hour le mans by user "sodencine" john soden.

Alan wilkinson . London.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome to our hobby/obsession.
I am analogue racer with a Carrera home track so can't really comment on the digital side of the hobby but as others advise there is no substitute for talking to club/forum members who have setups like you are thinking of getting as their hard earned experience can often save you from expensive mistakes. As Drifter2 suggests look carefully at the Slot.it cars as I think many can be bought with Scalextric digital chips in them and the difference in performance between Scalextric and Slot.it cars is a bit like chalk and cheese. If there is a club near you go along and see about joining it as racing against like minded people makes for a great night out and the tips and tuning information freely given by fellow members is invaluable. Often you will find members happy to suggest the 'killer' tyre for the club track and offeer to true the tires for you which makes a huge amount of difference to any car in terms of lowering your lap times.

Enjoy your new hobby!!!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

I am a fan of digital Scalextric but have no experience of any thing else.

Most newer Scalextric cars are digital ready in that you open a hatch underneath that can be opened with a screwdriver and replaced with a digital chip.

Goos luck with your quest.

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to thank you all for the welcomes! :)

As I had already pretty much decided on a Scalextric digital track, I spent a couple of days looking on-line at various cars (and companies) to decide if I really wanted to take the plunge with the Scalextric ARC PRO Platinum GT Digital set. As it turned out, when I priced out the powerbase, track, and accessories, the cars are basically free! Thus, it became a no-brainer and I ordered the set yesterday and it should arrive in a couple of days.

Thanks also for the track and layout suggestions. For the next six months or so, I'll just be setting up temporary track in my office/spare bedroom. When we move into our new house, at the end of the year, I'll have an upstairs game room for a more permanent layout.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic area of the U.S., temporarily in eastern Pennsylvania and moving to southern Delaware. I'm also into scale O gauge model trails, so I already know how addicting these types of hobbies can become. That said, aside from track planning my future layout, I have already looked at a lot of other cars on-line. I have an odd attraction to truck racing coming from watching Eurosport on past business trips to Europe. This has put a couple of Fly trucks on the top of my list for my next purchase.

Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would check out Slot.it's oXigen system before I made a final decision. Compared to Scalextric and Carrera, it's more complex, expensive, and harder to implement, but it has WAY more capabilities. Unfortunately, there is no oXigen turnkey system you can buy as in Scalextric and Carrera.

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Good thing he's going with Scalextric Digital, then. Scalextric Lane Changers are pretty much directly compatible with oXigen, no need for any modifications to the track or cars or chips. Transitioning from SSD to oXigen is about as easy as it gets, and doesn't require a complete switch from the old system so the new one, as some other combinations would.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm slightly ahead of you on this path. I am documenting how it is going here:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts