SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I'm mainly an RC airplane guy but I do have a Carrera Go Formula 1 competition slot car set that I got a few years ago. I recently took it out of storage and found that I didnt do the best job of putting it away last time. The box smells moldly and the slots on the track pieces have become a little tarnished. I'm planning on setting the whole thing up and carefully cleaning and the track pieces, racing on it for a bit
and then putting it back in the box. Maybe I'll throw some silica gel packets in there as well to help with the moisture this time.

My questions are, how should I clean the track? I'm mostly in favor of using goo gone because I think it should be safe on the plastic. I just recently watched a video where a guy with SCX slot cars was using it to clean the copper blades on the slot cars and it was workgin very well. I'm a little wary about using any kind of WD-40 or petroleum product because it could break down plastics. What is the best way to put this thing away for extended lenghts of time? Are there any other things I could do as far as maintenance goes? I'm sure the kit came with instructions as well but I always like to get tips from hobbyists.

Also, I'd love to get a few more cars. The original two F1 cars that were included in the set have been, ummm used. They no longer have front or rear spoilers. I see lots of individual cars on ebay but I'm hoping to find a lot of used cars in a bundle. Anybody know where to get a bunch of new or used carrera Go cars cheap?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
303 Posts
Check some of the threads for track cleaning trips. Carrera does not recommend oil based products at all. On the braids you can use it as long as you clean them off afterword. The surface is best cleaned with mild detergent and rinsed well afterword.
Most important, WELCOME!
Also check you Personal Messages (PM).

·
Registered
3 Posts
ahh. Thanks, yup I've found the search feature but for some reason was unable to find a lot of information on cleaning slot car tracks. I guess it cant be that hard to figure out. Yup, I'll stay away from oil products.

as far a carrera cars, Im finding them all to cost around $15, not too bad. Maybe oneday I'll spend a little money to pick up 5 or 6 at once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts