Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are sweet!
Now it will be so simple to upgrade to Parma controllers.
Thanks! Yeah, Parmas, original Auroras, Tyco, etc. I tried 3-wire brakes with my 1/32 analog layout and I like it... but for HO, I prefer the simpler 2-wire setup. And these adapter plugs make it easy!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I used tyco controllers for years but found them to be fragile for adult use. More than once I split the glued halves to fix something or other, and then wrapped the handle in tape to hold it back together.

Along the way I found "ideal" brand controllers. Still set controllers, they held up much better, have screws if disassembly is required, and I believe they are about 60ohms.

They too would be ideal (lol) for the HWP adapters if you can find them inexpensively.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somehow I missed this post.
Great idea! I had been wondering if AFX offered replacement ends. Now I know someone does.
Do the wires simply fold over 180 degrees and pull back into the connector?
Yes. Makes it super easy to install on any two-wire controller. And just as easily swapped. No soldering. Just strip the wire ends. Inset through the hole, then fold back. With thinner wires, it can help to tease out the wire strands or kink up the ends a bit. Or if the wires are really thin, you can put some aluminum foil into the grooves. I've tested them with original aurora, tyco, and Parma controllers. Works great!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Just strip the wire ends. Inset through the hole, then fold back."--HWP

Would/does it help to lightly "tin" (or, coat the stripped wire with a small amount of solder) the wires before the insert and fold?
You could try it. But in my testing, the bare wires worked great without any added effort.

In the same way braids are said to be better conductors than shoes, I think the bare wires - teased out a bit - may make better contact at multiple points than a tinned tight wire.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's what a few of my eBay customers have said about the plugs:

"Nice product and quick shipping!!!"

"SO EASY TO USE thanks"

"Used these with some new OS3 controllers I bought, they came in handy and are a good fit and easy to use."

"cool part! great solution! fast ship!"

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you plan to list anymore on eBay?
Sorry I missed your question! Yes, we've sold out several times on eBay already and will be printing more to have up by midweek around December 15, 2021

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fyi, these are now available on big-biddum.

In fact, I ordered up a few to use on my bro's track sooner or later.

Will provide feedback on the pieces once they arrive.
Thanks for that! We've been running ours with both Parma Economy controllers and the old yellow Aurora ones from the 1970's. It's been great not having to deal with tricky wiring. If your controller wires are really thin (like some of my original Tyco thumb controllers), just kink up the bared wire after passing it through the plug to help insure good contact when folding them back in the to the side grooves. And if you see any improvements to recommend, just let me know... the beauty of 3D printing is that aside from modeling time, there are no expensive molds to rework!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Just strip the wire ends. Inset through the hole, then fold back."--HWP

Would/does it help to lightly "tin" (or, coat the stripped wire with a small amount of solder) the wires before the insert and fold?
You could try tinning them if you like. But so far none of my old controllers have needed it. I think the loose strands of wire, just like teasing out a braid pickup, help ensure an optimal connection. You can always bare a bit extra length and double the folded ends back on the themselves a bit. But again, even my ultra thin-wired tyco thumb controllers have been working fine. Let me know what you think of them when you get them. They are shipping out tomorrow.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I received my HWP plugs today and I gotta tell you they are perfect in every way.

And they look cooler than OEM as a bonus!

For those stateside, HWP is trying hard to keep up with the demand, and the ebay service and shipping are also stellar.

Now, when are the 3d printed track borders going in the catalog?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I received my HWP plugs today and I gotta tell you they are perfect in every way.

And they look cooler than OEM as a bonus!

For those stateside, HWP is trying hard to keep up with the demand, and the ebay service and shipping are also stellar.

Now, when are the 3d printed track borders going in the catalog?
Thanks! Glad you like them! I’m actually toying with printing some borders. Just need to get a larger format printer. But more cool stuff to come.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts